Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 T5 - Eco Run - 500 Miles to tank.

Views : 2768

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 24th, 2011, 20:49   #1
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Default V50 T5 - Eco Run - 500 Miles to tank.

Hi All,

I was up North this wekend visiting some family in the NE (Newcastle/Gateshead/Sunderland). I decided to do a bit of an eco trip on the way back down to Devon to see what I could get out of a tank.

I managed to bag a bargain on ebay this weekend too and won a set of Genuine Volvo rear discs and pads and a genuine rear hub complete with sensor for a very good price. I decided to drop via N Wales on my way back to Devon and pick them Up.

I filled my tank full of Shell V-Power, reset the trip (T1) and the trip computer then set off from the NE to Wales to pick up my eBay wares.

Pic 1 - Trip/Mileage arriving at Abergele in Wales
Pic 2 - Trip/Mileage arriving at Exmouth in Devon to re-fuel

The first part of the journey was done nice and easy with little to no traffic on the road and I could just meander along the road on cruise at 68mph (according to Sat-Nav). I then caught a quick nap then picked up the parts at 07:30, I then departed on my way from Wales to Devon and stopped twice, once for breakfast (as well as having a large weiry on and needed a break) and then the 2nd time because I needed a pee.

The second part of the journey was normal morning traffic although I was very suprised that all roads were flowing well and didn't get caught in any stop start traffic but there was plenty on/off the cruise and slowing down/speeding up. Averaging about 65mph.

I then arrived in Exmouth and stopped off at my local Shell garage to re-fuel.

Think for a T5 it done rather well?? 500miles from a single tank and for those that want to know it took 60litres to brim it, so the old girl should have still had 15 to 20miles left too. Although going by the computer alone the mileage it indicated left in the tank was right down to the last mile so fairly accurate for me.

Anyone else got good figures? Never thought I'd see 500miles (okay 499.7) from a T5.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0292.jpg (115.3 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0298.jpg (146.2 KB, 87 views)
SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 20:54   #2
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

that must have been sooo boring

Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 20:59   #3
benf

I managed only just over 400 miles out of a tank driving back from scotland That was normal BP unleaded. Might give v-power a go (old T4 used to love it). What wheel size your car got ?
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 21:22   #4
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
that must have been sooo boring
Yeah, was a bit boring but just wanted to see what I could get. Believe me it wont happen very often I can tell you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benf View Post
I managed only just over 400 miles out of a tank driving back from scotland That was normal BP unleaded. Might give v-power a go (old T4 used to love it). What wheel size your car got ?
I've got what I think is standard T5 alloys - 17"

Old Oct 25th, 2011, 09:56   #5
Doveaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
'having a large weiry on'
You'll have to explain that one, I've got this terrible image in my head........
Doveaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 11:14   #6
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

What speed were you cruising at ?

Old Oct 25th, 2011, 17:20   #7
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

Even more impressive that it's the autobox.

Cruise control on at 70mph the T5 does approx 120-130miles per quarter of the fuel gauge. Add in the extra unlabeled bar when the tank shows as empty and I'd say 550 - 600 miles was achievable at a constant 70mph.

The extra urban MPG figures are 44mpg.

Would be interesting to see what a remapped T5 gets.... modded ones are noticably better on fuel, or so I read from Focus ST forums.....

Last edited by fenton_jd; Oct 25th, 2011 at 17:23.
fenton_jd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 17:31   #8
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

Mine used to never ever top 35mpg unmodified.

Nowadays at a steady 62-63 it'll top 40, and frequently goes up to 36-37 on longer runs when I cruise at 70.

So all in all, about 15% better modified, it does however have a new FPS and MAF which both made quite a big difference.

Old Oct 25th, 2011, 17:57   #9
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

Quote:
Mine used to never ever top 35mpg unmodified.

Nowadays at a steady 62-63 it'll top 40, and frequently goes up to 36-37 on longer runs when I cruise at 70.

So all in all, about 15% better modified, it does however have a new FPS and MAF which both made quite a big difference.
The irony of more power = better MPG

Here's an annoyance, when a VAG 2.0TDI rolls past at 90mph averaging 50mpg and I'm there at 70mph struggling to hit 36mpg.

Bad times!
fenton_jd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 18:56   #10
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doveaboy View Post
You'll have to explain that one, I've got this terrible image in my head........
Sorry it must be one of those regionaol slang things, just means I was very tired and almost dropping in and out of consiousness (falling asleep). Had a little shock moment so pulled over at the next available place.

Quote:
What speed were you cruising at ?
1st part to Wales I was cruising at 70 (68 on sat-nav).
2nd part to Exmouth I was cruising at more 65 due to traffic and to keep a steady flow. Found that I was forever on/off the cruise and speeding up/slowing down when trying to cruise at 70.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton_jd View Post
The irony of more power = better MPG

Here's an annoyance, when a VAG 2.0TDI rolls past at 90mph averaging 50mpg and I'm there at 70mph struggling to hit 36mpg.

Bad times!
I know that feeling too, my last car would was diesel and would return fantastic MPG figures even when pushed hard. What is a complete boring eco run in the T5 to get the mileage per tank my diesel would have done all day long driven far more inspiringly and more fun.

It is all swings and roundabouts though, the T5 comes into its own in so many other areas. At the end of the day you don't buy a T5 for fuel economy do you??