Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Well I'm sick as a pig - as the saying goes.

Views : 1812

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 8th, 2012, 02:59   #1
c_lee
VOC26332

Default Well I'm sick as a pig - as the saying goes.

In the past few days I have been preparing our 1988 240 Auto for sale - I had removed a few things that I needed for my other 240 ( door pockets etc ) that would not have impacted on the cars usability.

I knew it wasn't worth much being an auto.

We bought a 1999 V70 TDi Auto as a replacement in December and to use as our main towcar.
That V70 has now had a good test for a couple of weeks and all appears OK.

I was part way through preparing a sales text document that I've pasted here, ( http://www.colin-lee33.pwp.blueyonde...%20240%20sale/ ), that I would have soon imported onto the 200 ser for sale part of this forum.

Anyway, late on Saturday, I was giving it a good clean out ready to take some photos for the forum advert and discovered that the passenger floor well is wet, verry wet.
This is not a longstanding feature of the car.

That, though, put an end to my doubts as to whether to sell it or scrap it.

Even if I were able to dry out the carpets in the time available I would not willingly sell it on to a forum member here with such an undisclosed problem.

So IT IS going to go to an authorised ELV ATS that is local to me at £168 per ton.
IE scrapped.
It owes me nothing - only paid £250 for it in 2004.

That metal dealer does not break and sell spares unfortunately but they offer the best scrap price and issue a Certificate of Destruction for me.
I would have given the dealer name here if others could have benefitted from the spares for sale.

I was just about devastated when I discovered the problem - I wanted it to live on in the hands of an enthusiast here and stay in use.

There would be no financial benefit for me to fix the problem within the time available and I'm not going to.

Instead I will remove absolutely anything that may be of use for my other 240 so that I can keep that roadworthy as long as possible.

Unfortunately the metal dealer will not collect and, for the next few days, I will be legal to drive it there.

But that means I cant remove ALL that could be useful for me ( or others ) to store for my other 240. IE Wings, alternator etc.
I won't be removing anything big that I dont need and can't store or anything that prevents me driving to the scrapyard.

I think I will be putting some things for sale in the 200 ser wanted section though.

I'll be sad to see it go - its been a good old brick and I'll be removing all that I can that will still allow me to drive it to the yard.

I'm just about devastated tonight and have had a drink or two in commiseration tonight - sympathise with me.

But the over riding financial realities dominate.

One loved for years and lost - RIP - F375TCK.

But - hopefully - the vastly increasead economies of the V70 Auto diesel to look forward to.
And hopefully that will brighten my mood soon.

Colin
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 09:36   #2
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Always sad to see another one going off in to the yonder Colin....
We know if you could've kept the old beast going you would. I hope you take to the TDI as well!

I have a good mate with a 96' TDI which he has owned from it being about 3 years old. He keeps thinking about changing it, as it has WELL over 200k recorded & he makes regular trips from South Brittany to Yorks in it.... he is so attached to it, also I reckon his 'swmbo' would kill him if he sold it!

Good luck
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul240480 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 10:39   #3
BOB MY BIG OLD BUS

at least youll be safe in the knowledge that the parts will keep others going having said that would you by any chance have the trims from the dash and glovebox? theres two on the corners and one abovebelow the vents they all have a little chrome trim on them and just pull off?

thanks
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 11:36   #4
c_lee
VOC26332

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240 View Post
..... having said that would you by any chance have the trims from the dash and glovebox? theres two on the corners and one abovebelow the vents they all have a little chrome trim on them and just pull off?

thanks
Yes I have those.

I think I'm going to have to build a paper list of requests so I don't loose track of them.

I'm not going to start posting things out yet though, probably in a couple of weeks or so I will - I'm going to be busy dismantleing.

Got a bit of a sore head this morning too!!

Colin
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 12:13   #5
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

It's a shame to see it go - and I'd put some money on the heater valve as the source of the leak, especially if it's only just materialised.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 14:27   #6
c_lee
VOC26332

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
It's a shame to see it go - and I'd put some money on the heater valve as the source of the leak, especially if it's only just materialised.
The thing I'm really sick about is that only a few months ago I did the heater blower motor and the OHC belt.

The blower had never worked since I bought the car and it took me all day to do it - wasted time now.

I'm in two minds whether to go to the trouble of removing the heater unit and bridging the rubber pipes - the blower in my other 240 is a bit noisy now and then. But I need to be able to drive the car afterwards so I'd have to part re-assemble the surrounds afterwards.

After I did the blower motor I left the front carpet out of the car for a few days whilst being used to make sure there were no leaks.
The cooland level drops very slowly due to a seep at the pump rubber sealing ring but that was only a slight seep.
There is far more water in the footwell to account for only a slight coolant leak.
I only took it for a carwash yesterday morning to make it ready to photograph, it's never leaked when carwashed before as far as I know.
I don't know where it's comming from and I'm not going to investigate.

There have always been rubber mats fitted over the carpets and it's only a few weeks ago I had them out with no signs of water there then, I had the carpet on that side lifted whilst looking at some towbar wiring - but now it's visible as soon as you lift the mats.

I've started removing some items today from the interior.

Colin
The Following User Says Thank You to c_lee For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 15:51   #7
BOB MY BIG OLD BUS

thanks, can you put my name on the trim bits and glove box trim
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 16:49   #8
c_lee
VOC26332

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240 View Post
thanks, can you put my name on the trim bits and glove box trim
OK 240 will do.
I'm starting my paper list now.

One thing though, despite being careful, the long centre trim cracked in 3 places where the rear plastic studs are.
It didn't break though and will line up without being noticed.
A couple of the plastic studs wouldn't pull out of the backing too so only have 1 leg.
I think a bit of hot melt glue behind it would sort that when you attach.

Colin
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 17:07   #9
rusty244

Sorry to hear of another 200 leaving our roads. It sounds like the car has been a delight to own anyway and cost literally nothing in depreciation. Indeed the total cost of the car is half of what many people throw at a monthly finance package on some vehicles.

I would like to put my name down to buy the radio surround if you have it. I also need a number of small interior trims which I can't remember off the top of my head but will have a good look in the car tomorrow and figure out exactly what. I know the clips that the sunvisors rest in is one of them to begin with. The door lock motor&mechanism from the front passenger side would be good too.
rusty244 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty244 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 17:11   #10
rusty244

Forgot to say....

I once had a similar sounding leak but on the driver's side. It turned out to be a small rubber grommit in the bulkhead. The amount of water that accumulated was unbelievable and it took me a while to notice too as there is thick foam underneath the carpets. Indeed the water had sloshed through to the rear footwell too.

Once identified I fixed in a matter of minutes at zero cost with a spare grommit from grandad's store of junk.

Just a thought..
rusty244 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty244 For This Useful Post: