Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

v70 se 2000 wont start

Views : 1927

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 13th, 2012, 12:42   #1
steelpicker999

Default v70 se 2000 wont start

Hi All,

Hoping for a few pointers here please.

Car is V70 SE Classic W/2000 B5244S2 engine 110K approx

Heres what happened:-

I took the car to a local garage for and oil change and also they replaced the front left (passenger side) ABS Sensor. They ran the car a few hundred yards up the road and back afterwards and then rechecked the wheel nuts. I had left the car with them whilst I was away for a few days and went to collect it over the weekend (had been sitting about 48hrs without being run). It started up but instead of idling it immediately stalled and the would not restart - engine just spun over and over. My first thought was that the timing belt had snapped because this is what it sounded like ( having had that happen on another make of car), however this is not the case. I left it overnight and tried the following day - This time no attempt to fire - engine just spinning over.

The garage mechanic will have a look at it today but in case he doesn't manage to get it going I wanted to get some ideas on what else might be going on so that I can ask him to check spacific things if needed.

I came home and have been hunting around the forum for some ideas and my think is this:-

1. Immobiliser / antenna ring - If it was this would I get fuel or spark or neither?

2. Fuel pump Relay

3. fuel pump itself

It actually seems like the same problem I had on a 850 with the hydraulic valves after I started and then stopped the engine very quickly. Can this engine have the same problem? I thought this one didn't have the hydraulic valves.

If and when I do get it going I will try and get it to a volvo dealer / indy to get all the codes read but the nearest one is over 3 hours drive away.

Could this be caused by an oil change?????

Is there anything that might have been accidently disturbed in the process of changing the ABS sensor?

Any help would be appreciated

Chris
steelpicker999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 13:22   #2
Jules_V70R

My money is on the crank sensor.

Was it particularily cold over the weekend ?
Jules_V70R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 14:40   #3
steelpicker999

Thanks for that.

Just remembered one other thing.

I had given the mechanic the spare key to use and I used my own key when collecting the car. I have been able to confirm that the car wont start now with the spare key either but wonder if using the different keys could have caused and immobiliser problem.

The mechanic is going to try and get some codes off - not sure what reader he had but I will find out and post the results later.

cheers

chris
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 14:59   #4
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

i would guess at 3 things

1 immobiliser antena ring as you say
2 Cam sensor
3 Crank sensor as already suggested

if this garage doesnt have volvo software he wont get any codes for any of these items, its worth checking he has pluged the abs sensor in properly as well. Do you have any warning lights staying on the dash?

Simon
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 15:41   #5
mikealder
VOC Member

It will return a code of P1670 if its the immobiliser aerial, a generic code reader won't know what the code points to but it will return the number (mine does this quite a bit so being a Sad B....... I know the code of the top of my head!) Mine is also a MY 2000 Classic - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 19:41   #6
steelpicker999

UPDATE:-

Firstly, Camshaft sensor was loose - the bolt was undone by about 5mm. retightened bolt but car would not start. However, the battery was pretty shot by this time.

Secondly, there is fuel getting in as the plugs were soaking when removed (and changed just in case). Does this point away from the immobiliser? can anyone tell me?

The reason I ask is that whilst my small OBDII code reader did not pull off a
P1670 code (only a P0300 misfire code), the code reader at the garage (Smartbox) pulled off the following two codes:

At 5;21pm - TOTAL CODES 001
IMM 321 "Initiation signal from engine control module (ECM), signal missing"

Then on a second try at 5:26 - TOTAL CODES 001
ECM-720A "Immobilizer communication"

The good news is that the mechanic wasnt convinced and said that sounded like the engine was just flooded and decided to try tow starting it - IT WORKED! after switching off it restarted with the key ok.

I am leaving it at the garage overnight to see if it starts in the morning ok - fingers crossed!!

Regards

Chris
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 19:45   #7
steelpicker999

Deathrider311271 suggested Cam sensor or Crank Sensor - are these different things or different names for the same thing?

Chris
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 20:27   #8
mikealder
VOC Member

Cam Sensor detects the position of the cam shaft which is in the top of the engine, Crank Sensor detects the position of the crank shaft which is near the bottom of the engine, two distinctly different components - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikealder For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 21:19   #9
ShadeTek
Premier Member

This all sounds like lawnmower syndrom to me. I hope you don't get charged for all of that.

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 93000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301/Topdon Top Scan
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 22:20   #10
Jules_V70R

I win, I gets to say arse !!!

He's going to say he meant Crank not cam any minute now....

Last edited by Jules_V70R; Feb 13th, 2012 at 22:23.
Jules_V70R is offline   Reply With Quote