Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil level too high

Views : 8841

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 16th, 2012, 16:42   #1
RPB

Default Oil level too high

Just prior to my 4th annual service I had the 'Engine System Service Required' message on the dash. The garage (Volvo MD) have stated that the oil level was too high.

I had a similar message about 12000 miles ago with the same problem diagnosed by a different Volvo MD.

Now I'm getting a little suspicious that there is an underlying DPF issue, but both garages have refused to be drawn on the subject. So am I right to be worried or is there some other explanation? I have not added oil to the car BTW!!
RPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 16:44   #2
Daim
Brit in Germany

Let me guess, you have either a D5 or a 2.0d with powershift automatic?

If yes, well, you'll need some updates! Volvo know's about this problem and they have some new updates in order to stop this. The software has helped in 95% of all situations here in Germany. Don't know though if it will work for you though...

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daim For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 16:54   #3
SonyVaio
VOC Member

As Daim says, known problem solved by software updates. You need to ensure your oil level is no more than 2/3 to 3/4 up the dipstick (min to max marks).

When Volvo do the updates they should also put a sticker by the dipstick to notify about the new max level.

Not 100% sure but I think this was an actual recall, might be worth a check? Which ever way it is a free update and just drop into any dealer and ask.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 17:11   #4
volvo360turbo

Had this problem when I bought my d5 c70, you need the oil level no more than between the min and max on dipstick, Volvos answer to this problem was sticking a sticker saying the above. Not replacing the dipstick with correct marks. Since I've kept halfway I've had no problem. Poor show from Volvo on this...... As you need vida to reset the oil level code.
volvo360turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 17:27   #5
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo360turbo View Post
Had this problem when I bought my d5 c70, you need the oil level no more than between the min and max on dipstick, Volvos answer to this problem was sticking a sticker saying the above. Not replacing the dipstick with correct marks. Since I've kept halfway I've had no problem. Poor show from Volvo on this...... As you need vida to reset the oil level code.
tbh your going to have to look in there on an oil change anyway in my eyes so you would see it.

but yes 3/4 full was the max i heard but that goes for all diesels except the 1.6 from memory.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 17:41   #6
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
tbh your going to have to look in there on an oil change anyway in my eyes so you would see it.

but yes 3/4 full was the max i heard but that goes for all diesels except the 1.6 from memory.
All diesels with an additive-free DPF

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 17:45   #7
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daim View Post
All diesels with an additive-free DPF
nope even mine mate a none DPF 2.0D.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 17:52   #8
dew1911
I've Been Banned

Mines got that sticker meaning it's had the update done (I had the dealership fully research before I bought it), never had a problem and the oil level doesn't move.
dew1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 17:58   #9
RPB

Sorry, forgot to say it's a V50 D5 manual.
RPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 18:19   #10
slingading

Welcome to my world RPB. Ive been a D5 owner for a little over 3 months and the trouble I've experienced with "Engine system service required" are unbelievable! In all its been back to the dealer I got the car from, and their assocaited workshop 5 times for this but they could never stop it appearing so it has now been to Volvo twice, and the last visit cost £300 for a new oil level sensor..... less than 24 hours later the warning was back on!

Volvo have now asked to have my car for 3 days and have assured me they will get to the bottom of it. I wont be holding my breath!

hope you get it sorted mate.