Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hu603 upgrade

Views : 3146

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 5th, 2012, 23:48   #1
pc820brad

Default Hu603 upgrade

Hi all,

Just a simple question about my HU-603 stereo.

I have a VOLVO S60 D5 2003 with the above stereo fitted. I want to upgrade this to a HU-803 as I can't stand the tape deck on the HU-603 and want the extra features of the HU-803, namely the 4 DISK CHANGER and DOLBY DIGITAL.

Basically I want to know if it is possible to change my HU-603 with a HU-803.

I have read many posts on this forum about the changing of stereo's and they seem to be at odds in relation to the stereo's being coded to the car or not and the consequences of changing stereo's between cars.

Can anyone say for definite if each stereo is coded to each car and therefore not able to be used in another car. This is what the dealers say but I always think they will say whatever will get them more money out of your pocket.... I.E buy a new one from them rather than source a second hand one.

Most posts I have read state that the stereo will fit and work, but if it is not re-coded to my car then the steering wheel controls and backlight will not work (which in my mind makes it a pointless exercise). However when I ask my dealer about re-coding a stereo to my car I get a lot of evasive talk and how it's not possible..

Also having looked at the rear of my HU-603 it has the following FOUR CONNECTORS:

POWER (ROUND I THINK)
AERIAL (SQUARE I THINK)
SPEAKERS (OBLONG & GREEN IN COLOUR)
AMPLIFIER (OBLONG & GREY IN COLOUR)

However the HU-803 does not have the AMPLIFIER connection, so does this mean it is not compatible with my car, which seems a bit strange as other VOLVO S60's of the same year have the HU-803 fitted. Surely I can buy a converter cable or something....

Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated...

Cheers,

Brad.
pc820brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 09:22   #2
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

Audio units are not coded to the car. The reason they often don't work properly is that Volvo keep updating the messages sent through the cars CAN-Bus which is how the car and the stereo communicate.

If you get a replacement unit which is close in age to the car, it should be OK. Even then there is a chance that a revision may have occurred but its the best odds going.

On earlier models, there is a reset procedure which must be performed so that the stereo will operate again, I'm not sure if this applies to later models. It was something really simply like remove power, plug in again and them remove within so many seconds.
Missing Lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 16:11   #3
spikephoto

Default Will HU603 fiti in ex-Police 2008 S60?

I have a 2008 S60 T5 which was formerly a Police car and had a din size Sony fitted. I was given a 803 and the side cupholder and the metal bracket by the guy I bought the car off, but the car electrical engineer I gave to do the job says he can't fit it.

The reason why he says is that mine doesn't have the seperate ampifier or the correct wiring loom to fit one - obviously the car has the 'Police wiring loom' for all the blue lights etc.

So he had a look on eBay and suggested buying the HU603 however looking at the post above it seems to require an amplifier too?

He was telling me thatthere was an amp included in the 603

Help!
Spike
spikephoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hu603, hu803, radio, s60 radio, stereo