Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dilema. Timing belt alignment + more ???

Views : 3294

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 23rd, 2012, 14:15   #1
pupa

Default Dilema. Timing belt alignment + more ???

Hi guys. After studying all the information on this and other sites I decided to replace the timing belt on a 2000 Volvo S40 2.0l B4204S2 engine. I did not mark any positions as it seemed straight forward. Now after replacing the belt with the correct timings marks alignment there are interference. There are other existing painted alignment marks but using those the interference is gone but the engine wont start.

There is a bit of history regards to this car as it was previously worked on by a " mechanic/workshop" for a sticky valve or bend valve and they schemed the head, they took approx 2 months to fix the car. It was running when I got it but there was a problem that the cooling fan ran constantly. It also sounded like a diesel engine, maybe because the oil level was low? I found a hot wire straight from ignition wired to fan. When cutting the wire the fan wont start when the engine is "hot" but it runs when removing the temperature sensor. On closer inspection I found the thermostat was "removed" by cutting away the lower portion of the thermostat. I noticed while doing this repairs that the serpent belt and timing belt needed replacement and that is where it all starts.

My question is that if the crank is aligned what would cause the interference, could they have assembled the head incorrectly? How then did they manage to get the car to run?

What is the best next step action, strip the head and redo it? How can I for sure verify that the cams and spockest are indeed correctly assembled?

Last edited by pupa; Nov 23rd, 2012 at 14:19.
pupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2012, 15:23   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

you need the cam timing completely re done using the volvo tools to locate the cam shafts in the correct position , erase all the paint marks and original scribe marks on the pulleys , as you dont need these with the tool inserted , and when done add your own scribe marks ready to help the next person who does the belt change ..
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 12:10   #3
pupa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
you need the cam timing completely re done using the volvo tools to locate the cam shafts in the correct position , erase all the paint marks and original scribe marks on the pulleys , as you dont need these with the tool inserted , and when done add your own scribe marks ready to help the next person who does the belt change ..
Thanks, that is what I feared.

Any link or reference to the procedure. I have so much info my head are spinning.

It seems that I have to align the rear side of the cams with a "tool" and then remove and refit the sprockets and VVT in the correct position?

Could the cams have been swapped ie be inserted in the wrong side, is there a way to check. Reason I ask is that I see mostly in pictures of the VVT is on the exhaust side, in this case the VVT is on the inlet side. What concerns me also is that the cam position sensor is only fitted with one screw and the housing does not seem to align with the bolt holes???

Last edited by pupa; Nov 24th, 2012 at 12:18.
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 13:28   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Only on turbo engines is the variable pulley on the exhaust camshaft .

Yes the cam position sensor housing is like that so it can fit other versions of this engine too .

The attached pages may be of some help they are for turbo but the principle is the same ..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg variable valve 1.jpg (357.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg variable valve 2.jpg (311.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg variable valve 3.jpg (273.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg variable valve 4.jpg (338.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg variable valve 5.jpg (358.6 KB, 21 views)
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 13:59   #5
GMad
Premier Member

You can replace a timing belt on any car without actually using the factory timing marks, as indeed I have done recently.
But only if the car was running perfectly beforehand and you have no running issues.
If, as in your case, stuff has been messed with, It is prudent to use the factory timing marks and make sure everything is bang on, alignment wise
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 15:48   #6
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Does anyone know the cost of a Volvo alignment tool or a good equivalent ??
Also I would like to obtain a print out of the full procedure for changing the cam belt, tensioner and pump for a P2 1.9D (115 hp), but can't run vadis on my laptop etc.
Santa says he has pockets deep enough to send something for Christmas as requested.

Last edited by skyship007; Nov 24th, 2012 at 15:51.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2012, 19:02   #7
pupa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Only on turbo engines is the variable pulley on the exhaust camshaft .

Yes the cam position sensor housing is like that so it can fit other versions of this engine too .

The attached pages may be of some help they are for turbo but the principle is the same ..
Hi Clan
Some feed back: When I removed the Inlet side cam position sensor and exhaust side cover to see the cam alignment positions when all the factory marks were lined up correctly the cams slots at the rear were actually at a 45 degree angle like an inverted V with respect to each other. As I did not have an alignment tool (cannot find one locally) I just set up the cams as close as I can with the inlet slot below the line and the exhaust slot above the line (based on a tool tip alignment from a Haynes manual, see link below), I checked for no interference and then fired the engine for a test. Low and behold it started and the service lights cleared. Now when I checked back on the info I have in the S40 Haynes manual it was not clear whether the inlet cam (with VVT) slot are to be above the parallel line between the slots using the joint as an indicator or whether the Exhaust slot should be above the parallel line. The info I have conflicts as can be seen below ??????.

Any advice or additional before I make my own cam alignment tool to reset and finalize the timing properly ?????
How can I check that the inlet and exhaust cams are indeed not swapped???

This is the tool tip I based my alignment on

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/8...dure004qz9.jpg from a Volvo Xc90 related thread.

Here is the conflicting information that concerned me.

Quote:
You can get it fairly close by aligning the machined groove under the reluctor with the parting line between the cam holder and head.
Also from here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tardis007 View Post
The cams have slots on the ends of them. (transmission side)
If you look closely you will see that the inlet slot is above the line / seem in the head when it is on it's mark. The exhaust cam slot needs to be below the seem in the head to be on it's mark. It,s subtle but obvious when you look closely.
This post shows what to look for and what you'll need to do to sort it hopefully.
http://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s...0-1-9-a-62518/

Last edited by pupa; Nov 27th, 2012 at 19:09.
Old Nov 28th, 2012, 11:21   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

The cam timing is critical for correct operation you just cant do it by eye and really must get the tool , you cant make a tool how do you know the correct orientation of the camshafts for the tool to align for example ..
You really cant go any further without the correct tool ..
and how have you aligned the crankshaft? that should be set at the perfect position too with the tool which fits in a hole by the starter motor , aligning by eye for cam belt is ok because you have the belt to define each tooth but when you have lost the timing all together you need to accuratly set the crankshaft as well as the camshafts and also tighten the slotted pulleys last AFTER you have done the cambelt tension .