Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fault code 042?

Views : 22608

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 30th, 2012, 11:19   #1
GMad
Premier Member

Default Fault code 042?

I had the engine system service message light up last night and my cruise control stopped working..
I would hazard a guess that the two are related, but what specific component does code042 relate to?
The car works just fine, no reduced performance or any other issues for that matter.
I don't really want to throw the old girl away just yet, so unless the replacement part costs an arm and a leg, I'd like to sort it.
Any ideas anyone?
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 11:31   #2
RobbieH
Two wheeled lycra lout

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&tbo=d...w=1068&bih=897

Any number of reasons apparently. Can't remember which engine variety you have though which might help pin the reason down. Might need a proper code read with VCT or DiCE to help get to the bottom of things.

54 V70 D5 SE (163, EUIII) MTE, Eibach, Powerflex, IPD arb's, TWR FMIC, Ferrita cat-back.
RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 12:33   #3
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Default 042

Hello, Got to agree with RobbieH. Get that code-in-the-message-window deciphered. I posted a question over an '052' years ago. Several people experienced 3 digit codes in the lower left windows but nobody knew what they were looking at. Mine went away. Since those codes seem more finite and brief, perhaps you could drop in at a service desk or call a Volvo dealer and ask. Asking in person (wielding all of your charms) might be the better way to go. As you stand before the Great Desk of Knowledge and Help, clearly but respectfully ask, "WHAT DOES A 042 MESSAGE IN MY '99 V70 MEAN?" Also, if it's still there or returns at least plug a good generic code reader into your OBD port. It might reveal something; perhaps something which relates to one of the posts in the google link. Hear from you Kira
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 13:28   #4
mikealder
VOC Member

I would make sure the brake lights are working correctly and that the brake light switch on the bracket just above the pedal is still fully inserted, if its come loose in the hole it clips in this will knock out the cruise control and throw 042 - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 15:32   #5
GMad
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealder View Post
I would make sure the brake lights are working correctly and that the brake light switch on the bracket just above the pedal is still fully inserted, if its come loose in the hole it clips in this will knock out the cruise control and throw 042 - Mike
Thanks for the replies gents, this one however is on the money
After I posted the question and given that I had bugger all else to do today, I plugged the old girl into the old diagnostics gadget and low and behold, the issue is the brake position sensor.
Now given that there are only two sensors linked to the cruise that are not connected to the ABS and I have no ABS warnings, I got the meter out and checked resistance etc across them.
Turns out the brake light switch was suffering with low voltage! A spray with Electra Clean and a reset of the code, has sorted things for now. But should said switch be goosed, at least I know what to replace.
Thanks again for the replies
Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 22:25   #6
GMad
Premier Member

The switch it would appear is u/s, a new one has been ordered
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 13:10   #7
GMad
Premier Member

Ha, now the other sensor is playing up, the one that plugs into the servo!
I pulled it apart, by very carefully cutting the end with a modelling knife and repaired the broken solder to PCB joints. What utterly appalling design and build quality, bloody Bosch!
Anyway, purely by accident I happened across two S60s and a V70 all of which were just about to be crushed (long story, I'll tell you about it another time) and had the opportunity to nick the switches out of them (along with several other bits).
One of the switches was a Bosch item, the other two were made by Delphi. So I dismantled one of the Delphi units. Shock horror, the design of the Delphi unit and indeed the build quality is far superior to the Bosch.
The moral here is, should this switch fail on your car and you really can't be doing with cutting it apart to fix it, it is a very fiddly job. Replace it with a decent quality Delphi item