Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DPF problems is it an issue on S40/V40's

Views : 4438

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2013, 17:46   #1
Delboy777
Delboy

Exclamation DPF problems is it an issue on S40/V40's

DPF filter blocking on diesels appears a big problem.

A friends 2005 Focus blocked and Ford wanted £800 for a new one. I gather its a problem on some Jaguars aswell.

Does it affect the S40/V40? Do early ones not have one?

Thanks

Del
Delboy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 18:10   #2
m1tch1987
Premier Member

No V/S40s of our years have DPFs and its the exact reason I avoided the later S40s as they had the 2 litre Ford diesel which blocked the DPFs and has loads of electrical issues and aren't economical. Our 1.9D engines (Renault fixed by Volvo) are bullet proof so you wouldn't need to worry.

Basically any Volvos after our cars that Ford had anything to do with have a lot of issues.

2003 Volvo V40 1.9D Sport - MPG below

m1tch1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 18:29   #3
Delboy777
Delboy

Thank you. Thats re-assuring. I think I'd quite like a V40 diesel at some point.

Did Volvo change the Renault engine very much?
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 18:53   #4
960kg
Premier Member

Don`t be put off by DPF`s as i have just bought my first diesel motor in 46yrs and did read all the scaremongering about them.

It is usually on the end of the cat. so that is why it is expensive.

Engines are meant to be driven and if you put the cheapest dirty diesel fuel in the tank plus low rev. driving in town all the time then yes it will get clogged so one can only blame oneself if it fails but there are numerous tins of this and that to help combat the burning of the soot.

Read and treat the engine ok and you won`t have the complications!

I have just bought the Zafira 06 1.9CDTI and it has the DPF i keep it above 2000revs. in town and in 6th gear 2000revs. = 70mph so i am happy with that.

No the X40`s don`t have the DPF but don`t let that stop you buying other makes, i am currently on 47.6 mpg mixed driving but mainly town.
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 19:21   #5
Delboy777
Delboy

I remain to be convinced at the moment. Its ok if you have unlimited resources but I have a fairly tight budget these days and they worry me. When you think about pumps, turbos and DPF's maintenance can get quite dear.

I think they've spolied Dr Diesels motor.
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 23:23   #6
Cliveski

Friend of mine has had his 57 plate focus 1.6 diesel since new, commutes Peterborough to Leicester for work so just over 100k miles driven, just spent over £1300 firstly having his DPF regenerated and then after a month having it replaced.

When I was researching what car to change too I read that some cars can have their DPF's removed, possibly requiring a re-map afterwards.

I changed to a 2002 Audi A4 1.9 TDI which doesn't have a DPF just the prospect of a £750 clutch and dual-mass flywheel change sometime in it's lifetime and a similar cost for a turbo change. The joys of car ownership
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 23:49   #7
m1tch1987
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliveski View Post
Friend of mine has had his 57 plate focus 1.6 diesel since new, commutes Peterborough to Leicester for work so just over 100k miles driven, just spent over £1300 firstly having his DPF regenerated and then after a month having it replaced.

When I was researching what car to change too I read that some cars can have their DPF's removed, possibly requiring a re-map afterwards.

I changed to a 2002 Audi A4 1.9 TDI which doesn't have a DPF just the prospect of a £750 clutch and dual-mass flywheel change sometime in it's lifetime and a similar cost for a turbo change. The joys of car ownership
Don't forget the failing oil pumps on the Audi diesels, the oil pump drive 'gear' consists a perfectly round shaft and gear, there are a few tiny spikes on the shaft which after a while simply wear smooth stopping the oil pump drive and destroying the engine.

Its why I spent about 3 months researching into the most economical, safest, best kit, best value for money and most reliable car. There are no other cars that I know of that offer the best complete package than a later phase 2 1.9D V40 sport/sport lux. The only things that ever need checking on the engine is the EGR (3 bolts) or the thermostat (3 bolts).

2003 Volvo V40 1.9D Sport - MPG below

m1tch1987 is offline   Reply With Quote