Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

so I cleaned my throttle body......

Views : 4688

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 28th, 2013, 17:16   #1
Stekelly

Default so I cleaned my throttle body......

So I decided today would be the day id clean the throttle body so I disconnected everything. Battery first then air intake stuff ,both pipes from intercooler , top pipe to turbo. Then undid the 4 bolts and took off the throttle body. One of the plastic bits on the electric plug to clip it in place snapped off because it was brittle but seems to be secure nonetheless.

Got it on the coffee table and cleaned it out with loads of carb cleaner. I undid the two little screws and took out the plate in the butterfly valve and gave the whole thing a proper scrub.

At some point someone had taken off the small middle cable on the starter and extended it with a spade connection and a bit of cable so I took that off and put the original connection back on.

All back together and it started on the button . It had been taking a bit of cranking and I was getting the jumping revs issue just after starting every so often.

So now im sitting it it at idle and the on starting the revs idle at 1000. But the more I sit here and the temp gauge hits the middle where it sits the revs are closer to 1100. If I stick on the aircon it drops to where it normally would have idled at around 750. If I put it in r or d the revs drop to that to. Into p or knock off the aircon and its back to 1100.

Any ideas?

Presumably the electrical connector on the etm can only be put on one way and I couldnt have it backwards?

I would pick the first day I chooses to rain in ages too so I did rush a bit but as far I I can see everything is back as it should be.
Stekelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2013, 17:21   #2
mikealder
VOC Member

Did you replace the gasket between the ETM and inlet manifold - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2013, 17:24   #3
Stekelly

Sorry. Knew I forgot to put something in. Yeah new gaskrt was fitted.
Old Jul 28th, 2013, 17:42   #4
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Give the car a few drive cycles and see if it learns the correct idle speed.

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 93000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301/Topdon Top Scan
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2013, 18:29   #5
Aveton Gifford
VOC Member

Check you have re connected the small vacuum pipe that goes onto the brass connector on the inlet manifold on the right hand side (as you look at the engine)

2005 MY C70 2.0T MANUAL

2007 MY XC70 D5 AUTO
Aveton Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2013, 18:39   #6
stuartggray
StuartGray

Isn't there some technique like switching on the ignition and pushing the throttle pedal down to max three times in a row to reset it? (with engine off)
Past - 1991 740 GL Estate Auto 2.0l
Past - 1985 240 GL Estate 5 Speed 2.3l
stuartggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2013, 18:50   #7
bluetownbarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartggray View Post
Isn't there some technique like switching on the ignition and pushing the throttle pedal down to max three times in a row to reset it? (with engine off)
I think that refers to a throttle body realignment - I don't know if this applies to Volvos, but I recently done a realignment on an Audi A6 Avant - on that, there was lots of internet forum myths telling you that a realignment would take place by holding down the pedal 3 times - turned out the only way to do it was with Vagcom (Audi equiv to VIDA/DICE).

Like I say, I don't know if this applies to Volvos - it may well be like someone else says you just need to go through several cycles before the car learns the correct position. Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable will be along soon.
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=182891
bluetownbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2013, 18:56   #8
Stekelly

So its going from bad to worse. Went to give it a drive up the road . I needed petrol anyway. I got a couple of hundred yards and realised it was like id no turbo. 2k revs and then no power. Reved up to 3k and no more power. Was about to turn and come back when I got a reduced power notice on the dash and then an engine service required one. No power at all car crawling at 1500rpm. Got it back and when I start it the revs fluctuate from 7 to 11 hundred revs ish for a bit with the car struggling then it flys up to 2k and idles . Im going to reset the errors now.

All seems to be in place pipe wise.hopefully im missing something obvious.
Old Jul 28th, 2013, 19:06   #9
Stekelly

Using my generic code reader I have 3 showing. P0067$11 map/maf throttlw position correlation
P0123 $11 throttle/pedal position sensor switch a circuit high
And
P0221 $11 throttle /pedal position sensor/switch b circuit range / performance.

I wonder could the etm be stuck ? I was able to move it by hand though before I refitted it.

Ive noticed when I knock off the ignition I get like a woomph noise a split second after the engine is shutting down that I dont remember having before.

I erased the codes and im back to rough idling and when I mpve from d back to p the revs climb to idle at 1500.

Last edited by Stekelly; Jul 28th, 2013 at 19:09.
Old Jul 28th, 2013, 19:21   #10
sneakypenguin

could it be you knocked something when putting it back together or a vacuum pipe isn't quite seated correctly? I would take it all apart again then double and triple check when reassembling.

mick
Dice/Vida
sneakypenguin is offline   Reply With Quote