Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My continuing alarm problems

Views : 943

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 10th, 2014, 13:53   #1
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge
Default My continuing alarm problems

There have been several threads lately on alarm problems (including one from me) and too many to link without confusing things!

My initial (and continuing) problem is that my alarm keeps triggering and the hazard lights keep going off at intermittent and unrelated intervals for no apparent reason (fortunately the siren is knadgered - and I'm not bothered about that - and from previous readings I know that my ultrasonic sensors are as well). Goodness only knows how many occasions I haven't seen it! Until I get my VIDA module that I've ordered (I have DICE ready), I can't pin down and start looking for what is causing the triggers.

I have tried various door, tailgate and bonnet shakings and slammings and such - but none of them trigger an alarm.

It got to the point that I had to have a jump start on Saturday because the battery didn't have enough oomph left in it!

The BIG question...

Until I can get my VIDA/DICE set up working, is there a fuse - or relay - I can pull that will disable the alarm system until I can get to diagnosing the fault? I have looked at Haynes - with absolutely no help coming there and I have looked at the wiring diagrams at http://www.scribd.com/doc/28783687/volvo-c70-s70-v70 and I am confused.

According to the fuse allocation picture in Haynes, it says that FS6 is labelled "Alarm". But the wiring diagrams show that fuse does a lot of other things as well.

I am also willing to revert (temporarily) to manual locking for a while if necessary and if it will help.

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 15:17   #2
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

As the car doesn't get much use and a chance to keep the battery topped up, I have resorted to purchasing a solar trickle charger to avoid a flat battery again before I manage to find/fix the fault! I would have gone for a mains one - but no easy way to get mains out to the car!

Old Feb 10th, 2014, 21:41   #3
Nik96
S40 2008 1.6 Petrol 99.5k

Hello,

We have a similar problem with our '03 V70. The car was sat around for a while and the battery drained to nothing because it was constantly centrally locked. We replaced the car's own battery and this held it's charge much better because we stopped centrally locking.

The cure for our alarm is to replace the whole system as an internal battery, so the car stays locked and alarmed even when the main battery dies, has been run down and when it gets low it fails safe and triggers.

Originally we thought this was the cause of a immobiliser problem but thank the Volvo gods was just a starter motor that was knackered there isnt anything wrong with the immobiliser.

From now on I advise manually locking I've been told by a Volvo guru this activates all of the normal security systems apart from the alarm sensors saving your battery!
Nik96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nik96 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 09:46   #4
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik96 View Post
Hello,

We have a similar problem with our '03 V70. The car was sat around for a while and the battery drained to nothing because it was constantly centrally locked. We replaced the car's own battery and this held it's charge much better because we stopped centrally locking.

The cure for our alarm is to replace the whole system as an internal battery, so the car stays locked and alarmed even when the main battery dies, has been run down and when it gets low it fails safe and triggers.

Originally we thought this was the cause of a immobiliser problem but thank the Volvo gods was just a starter motor that was knackered there isnt anything wrong with the immobiliser.

From now on I advise manually locking I've been told by a Volvo guru this activates all of the normal security systems apart from the alarm sensors saving your battery!
Thanks for that.

I'll try it for a while until I get a chance to sort the system out.

Old Feb 11th, 2014, 10:20   #5
karlywoo

Default Alarm issues

I have had a mirror image of your problems, i started by taking the bonnet catch out and cleaning/lubing, problem still there!
Next was the drivers door lock, sadly my key does not fit the door lock so i,m up a gumtree as far as locking manually! anywAY cleaned and lubed, problem still there!
Next stop was the boot! then i had a brain wave that on a previous V70 i had had issues with spurious faults ie rear wiper intermittant etc, the problem lies in the harness top left corner, the constant opening and closing over the years, the wiring gets in a mess, fractured wires, broken etc.
So checked mine out, and i can see that someone has been there before me, insulating tape, for a trial i just gave the harness a good in and out, lo and behold problem cured, no more indy flashy! it has now been as good as gold for ten days, locks all ok with the remote, so i shall leave it until the weather warms up a bit to strip the whole thing out and get busy with the ohm meter andd and a soldering iron, hope this is of use to you regards Les
karlywoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 12:00   #6
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Some food for thought there with the tailgate harness!

Currently on locking with the door lock (as above) and waiting for my VIDA to arrive (due today... in theory... but not arrived yet) so I can look see what, where and how often.

I do hope it's not the tailgate wiring, I have a tendency to break plastic trim panels that need removing!

Old Feb 11th, 2014, 14:05   #7
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlywoo View Post
Next was the drivers door lock, sadly my key does not fit the door lock so i,m up a gumtree as far as locking manually!
I'd sort that if I were you, if your remote stops working for any reason 9and they do!) then you're in a right tangle if you can't unlock it manually. Or can you get in the boot?
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 15:57   #8
karlywoo

Default Alarm issue,s

Well i will get out there as soon as i can, i,m somewhat limited in my capability, due to a spinal injury so i have to wait for a nice day when i,m feeling good!
The thing that i have noticed since sort of curing my troubles is that the alarm is not arming anymore, i,m not getting anything from the LED on top of the dash, why that should be i have no idea, just before i bought the car it had two brand new remotes linked to the car, (Volvo remotes)

But as of yet the car is working fine, wether it was the door micro finally started to function, but it seems odd that it was only after i pulled on that rear boot harness that everything fell into place, no indicators flashing and no LED blinking like crazy on the dash.

So what on earth has occurred then, i,m happy that i can lock it etc, but why is the alarm not arming? hmmmm answers on a postcard confused Les in Norfolk!
karlywoo is offline   Reply With Quote