Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

v70 thermostat/water impeller

Views : 1073

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 22:26   #1
Dariono4no1

Default v70 thermostat/water impeller

how much would a garage charge to fix a thermostat or water impeller? I am pretty sure its one of these things that's making my car overheat and I don't want my pants pulled down over the price
Dariono4no1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 22:29   #2
D5meister
Premier Member

A stat used to be about 10 quid and 1/2hr to swap
D5meister is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D5meister For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 22:51   #3
Orca2
I've Been Banned

If by the impeller you mean the water pump impeller, it might be quite expensive as it is driven by the cambelt.
Orca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 01:32   #4
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Default details

Hello, There aren't too many examples of where year, mileage and trim level could be more helpful.

Earlier thermostats were easily changed at the elbow. "They'd" probably rape you to the tune of 50 quid.
I do not know if the later diesels used the combined 'stat & sensor' as did the petrols.

If your engine is due for a timing belt get, it done. Including the pulleys and water pump at that time is the economical way to go.

Here's the possible kicker. Your cooling system MIGHT be neglected to the point where the heavily rusted inwards of your engine cannot transfer heat effectively, resulting in higher operating temperatures.

If that is the case be sure to get your system chemically flushed.
Also, depending on the age of the vehicle, it might be time to replace the hoses.
They're better than those of yesteryear but do not last forever.

You are nowhere near the realm of despairing; so don't. Kira
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 03:29   #5
oragex
Premier Member

years 2002 and up, the thermostat can be quite a hassle to replace, part is around $100. the power steering pump must be put on a side, then I suggest splitting open the thermostat housing and replace only the upper half of the housing. This way, it's about 1h30 job.

For the non turbo engine, it looks like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FEBI-34850...item5b096a3477

You can check if the thermostat opens properly: when the temperature gauge is at normal operating temp, the upper radiator hose should get hot.

For the water pump, the timing belt must be released (not necessarily replaced if it's not due) and the pump can be removed after the coolant was drained. If I'm not wrong, it can be done in about 1h-1H30.
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 07:58   #6
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Personally, having been in similar situation, I would never refit a used timing belt as once the tension is released and reapplied it tends to weaken the glass fibre reinforcing stands. False economy not to fit a new one when you've got it all in pieces and also means it wont be needed to be done again for 90,000 miles
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 08:17   #7
Dariono4no1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
Hello, There aren't too many examples of where year, mileage and trim level could be more helpful.

Earlier thermostats were easily changed at the elbow. "They'd" probably rape you to the tune of 50 quid.
I do not know if the later diesels used the combined 'stat & sensor' as did the petrols.

If your engine is due for a timing belt get, it done. Including the pulleys and water pump at that time is the economical way to go.

Here's the possible kicker. Your cooling system MIGHT be neglected to the point where the heavily rusted inwards of your engine cannot transfer heat effectively, resulting in higher operating temperatures.

If that is the case be sure to get your system chemically flushed.
Also, depending on the age of the vehicle, it might be time to replace the hoses.
They're better than those of yesteryear but do not last forever.

You are nowhere near the realm of despairing; so don't. Kira
I live in barry south wales, uk its a 51 plate so 2001 and its done about 120,000, iam pretty clueless when it comes to repairs and I didn't want a garage taking advantage

Last edited by Dariono4no1; Feb 24th, 2015 at 08:18. Reason: added where i was based
Dariono4no1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 11:47   #8
Brendan W
Premier Member

Water pumps are extremely reliable. Sticking stat is far more likely. What symptoms have you got exactly. Start from cold and see does the top hose to the rad get hot as the needle comes up to the middle. If you have a diesel this can take a long time.
Just checked your other thread. What is the needle doing when you get a high engine temp message?

Last edited by Brendan W; Feb 24th, 2015 at 11:51.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 12:21   #9
harveys
Master Member

Just a thought is the cabin heater still working ,gives out hot air when set to high.
If so good chance it's the stat and it's very easy to test it when it's removed from the car just place it in some boiling water near 90 degree it should open.
harveys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 12:38   #10
Bernard333
Premier Member

ECP have Circoli thermostats that fit V70 for £4.50, I like this design better than the original which has a rubber diaphragm which disintegrated, pieces are probably still inside the coolant system. Changing it on petrol V70 is quick and easy but Volvo made a batch of faulty brackets on P2 D5s putting the access hole in the wrong place making it neccessary to remove the power steering mounting bracket and aux belt. I replaced the allen head screws on mine with standard bolts so I can access them with an open ended spanner without having to remove the auxilliary bracket.
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bernard333 For This Useful Post:

Tags
thermostat, v70, water impeller