Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 2.0 D 2005 stalling on idle when warm

Views : 1818

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 6th, 2015, 23:10   #1
Jason1984

Default V50 2.0 D 2005 stalling on idle when warm

Hi all

I have a V50 2.0 D that has developed an issue where it will simply cut out when idling. It only seems to happen after about half hour driving and the engine is warm, then once I'm stopped at traffic lights or a junction the engine will struggle and cut out. No warning lights on the dash. Once it's starts happening on a journey it will happen almost every time you idle for more than a second or 2. It idles at just over 800rpm

I have taken it to a volvo garage twice now and at first they replaced an intake pipe and the problem went away for 2 days. Then they replaced solenoid Vale in the fuel pump. Since that the problem has been less frequent but still there. When the problem occurs the car also feels like it's very sluggish and draggy.

The only faults the diagnostics come up with are the EGR valve but the garage seem quite sure it is not that causing the issue.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.
Jason1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2015, 22:20   #2
rajv50

DPF or throttle flap?
rajv50 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rajv50 For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2015, 17:06   #3
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajv50 View Post
DPF or throttle flap?
Doubt there will be a DPF on a 2005 but the Throttle Body is a possibility though.

TT
Old May 10th, 2015, 20:02   #4
Hadrian

I would say definitely throttle body, I had the same a few years ago cutting out for no apparent reason, (not a nice feeling 500 miles from home!!) Search on here for removal, cleaning and chamfering, and don't over tighten the jubilee clip when replacing.
Hadrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2015, 02:56   #5
gswede

Could be a vacuum leak not detected by engine management until it warms up and goes into closed loop...
Leak would not necessairly have to be big enough to be setting a cel for it causing idle/stall issues.
Does it happen more frequently with AC on (more load)..? Try driving with the AC off and see behaviour changes.

Last edited by gswede; May 11th, 2015 at 02:59.
gswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gswede For This Useful Post:
Old May 13th, 2015, 13:26   #6
Jason1984

Just got it back from the Garage again.

They have done a software update and cleaned some contacts because the EGR was only getting 0.01 volts. but all of this has made the problem worse.

I will have a look into Throttle flap thanks that sounds like a good idea, im also going to buy a EGR and fit it myself.

The garage have had 3 attempts and £700+ and have nothing to show for it.

Thanks
Old May 22nd, 2015, 13:44   #7
Jason1984

Fitted new egr. NO change in the problem.
Old May 23rd, 2015, 11:02   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1984 View Post
Hi all

I have a V50 2.0 D that has developed an issue where it will simply cut out when idling. It only seems to happen after about half hour driving and the engine is warm, then once I'm stopped at traffic lights or a junction the engine will struggle and cut out. No warning lights on the dash. Once it's starts happening on a journey it will happen almost every time you idle for more than a second or 2. It idles at just over 800rpm

I have taken it to a volvo garage twice now and at first they replaced an intake pipe and the problem went away for 2 days. Then they replaced solenoid Vale in the fuel pump. Since that the problem has been less frequent but still there. When the problem occurs the car also feels like it's very sluggish and draggy.

The only faults the diagnostics come up with are the EGR valve but the garage seem quite sure it is not that causing the issue.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.
The throttle flap only closes when you turn the engine off , it doesnt close when driving ..
The only reason a diesel stops usualy is due to lack of fuel . Can you see bubbles in the clear pipe going from filter to engine fuel pump especialy just as it cuts out ? what are the fault codes that keep coming back do you know?
Old May 23rd, 2015, 17:47   #9
x DTR x
Premier Member

If your model is like mine, 2005 with no dpf then I would just blank the egr off and unplug the grey connector. At least this will take the egr out of the equasion!

2005 V50 2.0 SE Sport
1999 S40 1.8 Gdi
1993 460 1.7 LX

Last edited by x DTR x; May 23rd, 2015 at 17:50.
x DTR x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2015, 14:24   #10
monsto

Can you blank egr on 2007 2.0D? No dpf filter.
monsto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
idle, v50