Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 SAFETY FAULT URGENT 2009 MY to potentially 2011 MY

Views : 6067

Replies : 64

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 9th, 2015, 13:10   #1
dewson03

Default XC90 SAFETY FAULT URGENT 2009 MY to potentially 2011 MY

My wife's XC90 has developed a safety fault concerning the breakage of the hydraulic power steering hose clip and it's impaction into the cooling fan.
My car is a 2009 D5 registered on 11/11/2009.Full main dealer service history 53500 miles.

This is superficially the same fault as to the recall in 2007/8 and is listed on the VOSA website.

I noticed a cable tie hanging from the bottom of the XC90 and thought it was debris from picked up from the road.

My wife took the car out the next day and it came back making an awful noise.

The High pressure hydraulic power steering hose had impacted into the cooling fan and been destroyed down to the core along with superficial cooling fan damage.

I inspected the engine and noticed both the original cable clip had broken and that the cable tie I found under the car had actually been placed around both the power steering hose and an engine wiring harness (this repair was not notified to me or authorised by me). The engine cover had sawn through the cable tie (resulting in the problem) and the wiring harness was damaged.

I was absolutely furious that such a stupid design/repair had put my family at risk. I checked this forum and the VOSA website, there was no faults/recalls for this issue for my chassis number.

I submitted an online safety notification with photographs to the Vehicle Safety Beaureau (formerly VOSA) in Bristol. The car was picked up by Volvo assist the following day and delivered to main dealer.

Volvo customer service could not have been more unhelpful and condescending "you have to realise that your car is five years old", "there are no problems with your chassis number". VOLVO HAVE PUT MY FAMILY AT RISK OF INJURY-no recognition of how serious this matter is. My family put at risk over a cable tie? How dare Volvo do that.

The VSB engineer rang me back (I couldn't believe it!) and we went through my report and photographs, in short the VSB have written to Volvo (same day) informing them that a safety concern exists and that a full technical analysis and report to the VSB is required from Volvo uk (Volvo uk have to comply).

The VSB engineer has been absolutely brilliant, very informed, completely on the ball.I believe not happy with a cable tie or Volvo. Not a person to get on the wrong side of!

The main dealer also accepts the repair is unacceptable (unofficially) and have been outstanding.

I looked at the engine of a 2012 MY XC90 guess what? Modified engine wiring harness clamp with rubber P clip to hold power steering hydraulic pressure hose.

Volvo cars Customer service are now "concerned" about safety and will not release the XC90 back to me.

Anything to do with having to answer to the Vehicle Safety Beaureau???

At the time of writing Volvo UK and I have been told, Volvo Sweden have no fix. I suspect that parts are being manufactured and the VSB is being kept informed. Volvo engineers both in the UK and Sweden have been all over my car.

My car has been at the main dealer for 2 weeks.

PLEASE CHECK YOUR ENGINES FOR THIS FAULT DO NOT BE PUT OFF WITH DENIAL AND OBFUSCATION FROM VOLVO UK. REPORT Any concerns ONLINE TO THE VSB.

I have informed both Volvo and the VSB that the repair will NOT involve plastic clips or cable ties otherwise legal action will follow.

Volvo Cars UK 0 Volvo Owner 2

I'll keep all informed of outcome.

Last edited by dewson03; Jun 9th, 2015 at 15:43. Reason: bad english!
dewson03 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dewson03 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 15:51   #2
dewson03

Default Photographs of fault

I am trying to upload photographs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0189.jpg (103.2 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0191.jpg (112.5 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0195.jpg (123.6 KB, 113 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to dewson03 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 15:54   #3
dewson03

Default Photographs out of sequence

More photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0194.jpg (139.7 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0193.jpg (159.2 KB, 100 views)
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 16:25   #4
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Not entirely sure, but I think there was a recall for that .... my XC90 was delivered in March 2009 (MY2009,) and was recalled in November 2009 to get the modification done, this was the Ty-Wrap to hold the hose back from the cooling fan (a bit Heath Robinson IMO.)
However the car was moddified again in 2011 during its annual service by the dealership, and they fitted a proper hose clip and joint to keep the power steering hose properly attached, under instructions from Volvo so I was told.

Hope it helps
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TruckbusUK For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 16:52   #5
dewson03

Default Thank you

Thank you for your message!

Yes there was a recall, but not for my chassis number. I think it is the same fault on an entirely new batch of chassis numbers hence my warning to everybody!

Officially, according to VSB, the fault may appear to be related but until investigation is complete it is according to VSB, a new safety fault.

The "fix" to my car has been done without my knowledge/approval by one of two main dealers at some time. In effect there are cars being driven out there with this fault that Volvo have chosen, in my opinion, to fix on the cheap and wait until they are forced to either recall another batch of vehicles or a problem arises before it is dealt with, knowingly putting people at risk of injury. My worry is that somebody may be injured before a fix is done and that is why I am trying to raise awareness. Nobody puts my family at risk of injury!

I suspect that Volvo uk are going to be instructed by VSB into another recall at this time. The problem centres around different types of throttle bodies attached to D5 engines and designs of clamps that will fit around this, which I understand is causing issues with Volvo in Sweden hence no fix to date. The other problem is Volvo having to report back to VSB with fix and I suspect having to tell VSB that a large number of vehicles in the uk are affected.

I'm just really ****ed at Volvo for thinking that we as customers can be treated in this way.

thanks for your reply it's nice to have a bit of support!
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 17:11   #6
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

On thinking about it, it was not a VOSA recall letter, that applied to earlier cars 2007/8 cars, mine is a MY2009 car registered in 2009 and it was a letter from Volvo asking me to take the car in for a safety check that resulted in the Ty-Wrap fix ....... part of the dealers "technical bulletin" system maybe.
I had no notification except from the dealers service dept saying the permenant fix had been applied.

So if these are later build cars like mine, maybe Volvo did know of the problem, but had done a deal with VOSA not to recall the cars but repair the cars as part of routine maintenance/servicing.

I wonder if anyone else remembers this fix being applied in 2010/2011 ?
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TruckbusUK For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 20:40   #7
Just Drive

Thanks for posting this.

Just checked mine and this seems to be ok and modified again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (186.7 KB, 120 views)
Just Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Drive For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 20:55   #8
dewson03

Looks different but not clear! At least the hose is not embedded in cooling fan!
Can you take a photo standing in front of engine looking at the right hand side where the hydraulic hose bends down and see how it's held onto front of engine?
Old Jun 10th, 2015, 17:29   #9
Just Drive

A close up of the clamp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (237.6 KB, 112 views)
Just Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Drive For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2015, 17:51   #10
dewson03

Brilliant many thanks: you have the modified clamp! This is what I am hoping Volvo are sorting for my car.

It a little bit more substantial than a cable tie don't you agree!