Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

AC/ECC, AUT/defroster not working (Volvo V70 1998)

Views : 2824

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 12th, 2007, 12:01   #1
timebandit

Question AC/ECC, AUT/defroster not working (Volvo V70 1998)

Hi

Have tried to solve my problem but no luck.

Every morning when driving to work the AC OFF lights on the ECC panel in AUT fanspeed mode. Even the defroster/air to windows won't set to AC ON and work :/ Stays on AC OFF and minimal air.
After driving a mile or so the AC OFF switches to AC ON and everything works fine.
This problem is not fun when there's a lot of mist(?) on the windows.

If i set the fanspeed on the slide to ant other the AUT or off mode the AC ON will be on and fans are workign good, but not in AUT mode.

There are no error codes what so ever in the system so it's not easy for me to find whats wrong.

Anyone got some ideeas or tips etc what i can try do to etc?

Thanks in advance,

//Kensy
timebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 12:20   #2
Georgey dee
Premier Member

I would get it re-gassed. They do suffer from a leaky exchangers but you wont know until you fill her up. When the gas gets low the pressure switch prevents the compressor from cutting in so if it's full of gas then it should cut in straight away.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 12:40   #3
timebandit

If the pressure is low the AC is turn off without any error code?

Does the pressure gets higher when driving? If so, then thats why the AC turns to AC ON after driving a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgey dee View Post
I would get it re-gassed. They do suffer from a leaky exchangers but you wont know until you fill her up. When the gas gets low the pressure switch prevents the compressor from cutting in so if it's full of gas then it should cut in straight away.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 12:59   #4
Georgey dee
Premier Member

I would say that you pressure is right on the limit of the switches operation. Is your compressor kicking in and then straight back off again (hunting) or when it kicks in does it spin for 20-30 seconds before it kicks off again?

after you've driven a bit with the compressor kicking in and out it can build up enough flow to allow the system to cope. But until you know your full of gas you'll be chaising your ar*e for ages.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 13:36   #5
timebandit

Thanks for the answers!

I will go get a date for checking the pressure etc.

To answer your question...

Every morning when is approx. under 10 degrees the AC OFF switch is lit.
When driving a few kilometres or miles sometimes the AC goes on (AC ON switch). And often it does go back to AC OFF and then AC ON again then to stay at AC ON.
Sometimes it does that sometimes it doesn't. But there isn't any delay within these "hunting". It's lower than 1 sek.

But I will try to get the pressure checked within this week.

//Kensy
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 07:41   #6
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

I've got this problem with my car at the moment, but it only occurs when the cabin temperature is low.
I think the problem is with the fan speed control potentiometer.
The AUT postion is at one end of the potentiometer travel, this is where the slider is positioned most of the time and is where open circuits are most likely to occur.
I've sprayed mine with electrical switch cleaner through the slot and worked the slider back and forth, this has helped with the problem.
The solution may be to open the ECC control unit up so that better access can be obtained for cleaning or to replace the unit.
You can measure the AC pressure in live data in the engine control module so you may be able to see if there is a problem there but i doubt it.
I've never been in a position to check the live data on the ECC itself when the problem is there because it's not that predictable, however I suspect of you check the live data from the fan speed control when the problem occurs you will see intermittent changes between AUT and '0'.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 10:11   #7
timebandit

This was very intresting info... I will try to remove the front panel of the ECC panel and try "cleaning" the most I can find to clean and see if it helps.

I do have a laptop and a OBDII cable but I don't have any software that can read live data. Do you know any software I can try without any big cost?

Do you also know how to measure the fan speed control part with a "multimeter" that can measure Volt, Ampere etc? This way I can se if there are any curent drops etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Rogers View Post
I've got this problem with my car at the moment, but it only occurs when the cabin temperature is low.
I think the problem is with the fan speed control potentiometer.
The AUT postion is at one end of the potentiometer travel, this is where the slider is positioned most of the time and is where open circuits are most likely to occur.
I've sprayed mine with electrical switch cleaner through the slot and worked the slider back and forth, this has helped with the problem.
The solution may be to open the ECC control unit up so that better access can be obtained for cleaning or to replace the unit.
You can measure the AC pressure in live data in the engine control module so you may be able to see if there is a problem there but i doubt it.
I've never been in a position to check the live data on the ECC itself when the problem is there because it's not that predictable, however I suspect of you check the live data from the fan speed control when the problem occurs you will see intermittent changes between AUT and '0'.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 18:23   #8
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

The only 'DIY' one I know off is here:

http://www.ilexa.co.uk/content/category/2/2/19/
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 13:40   #9
Bridget

Default V70RR Intermittent AC/Defrost problem

Hi,

I regassed the AC and changed from AUD to another cooling setting. The air is on maybe 5 minutes before turning itself off. Last night the defroster did the same thing and I was driving in the rain. I hit a curb and scared myself silly. I need a part number/fix for this problem, as it found out it can be deadly. Thanks!
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 13:50   #10
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

I suspect the compressor clutch needs adjusting, links to how to in this thread.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=97309