Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

QBM Mounts Fitted.

Views : 3770

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 03:10   #1
mhon72
Master Member

Default QBM Mounts Fitted.

Well I've finally ventured outside to fit the bits from QBM to my 2002 S60 2.3 T5 Geartronic.

QBM Strut Mount Conversion Kit.
Time taken: 15 minutes.
Tools needed: torque wrench, 14mm & 17mm sockets and 18mm spanner.
Comments: Easy to install.
The instructions provided are from the US so will talk of driver's and passenger's side so apply a bit of common sense and remember the slotted mount with the hole for the zip-tie goes on the O/S.
I torqued mine up with an additional couple of pounds than suggested and used Loctite on the threads.

Notice the solid mount - no rubber bushing

And once fitted:

Findings: Immediately improved response in the steering, more direct.
A common noted side effect is an increase in vibration due to the solid mounts; I found there seemed to be a very tiny increase in engine noise transmitted to the cabin. Just turn the radio up a notch!
What was noticeable was a resonance at around 3000rpm exhibited as a deep thrumming sound; it's not actually unpleasant! I initially also thought this could be annoying as 3000rpm in 5th gear with my Geartronic was 85mph but in practice cruising at this speed the noise wasn't noticeable at all.

Conclusions: Worth trying for the better steering but I'll keep monitoring it long term to see if the NVH is going to be an issue.

QBM Lower Transmission Mount
Time taken: 30 minutes
Tools needed: axle stands, torque wrench, sockets: 12mm (for undershield bolts), 14mm & 18mm
Comments: The instructions again were pretty clear except the bolts attaching the bracket to the transmission casing were 14mm and not 8mm nor 10mm as described in the directions.
Once again, Loctited all the threads.

Here's a picture of the original, grotty looking mount. the 14mm mounting bolts can be seen on the transmission casing and the two large 18mm nuts attach the mount to the subframe.

With the old mount off the rear smaller bushing was shot, split and very floppy. The larger front bush was still intact but was nowhere near as stiff as the QBM bush which is made of Delrin.

I have read some people have tried a hybrid and used the smaller portion of the QBM mount with the original large mount. It's a compromise but may only be of short-term benefit as the stiffer small bush may cause the softer large one to perish sooner.

Here's the fitted mount. I also noticed the studs on the QBM mount are shorter than the ones on the original fitting.

Findings: I fitted this a short while after the Strut kit just to ascertain the differences each made to the car.
This tranny mount was a vast improvement but one had to bear in mind the original mount was knackered. Nevertheless, the gear shifting even though I have the Geartronic was smoother; no clunking at all, not even when cold.
There seems to be a little more NVH with this mount fitted. It's not noticeable and it's very early days so I'll keep an eye (or ear) on it. I might have a look at trying a hybrid mount to see how that helps (or not).

Conclusions: Very pleasantly surprised. Even at the early stage of trying this I would recommend this even more than the Strut kit as the gearchange and drivetrain is improved. For a manual gearbox the improvements must be even more noticeable.

Hope that this is of use to you.

Last edited by mhon72; Jan 3rd, 2008 at 04:38.
mhon72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:43   #2
D5 Monkey
Gone and forgotten

Thank you for this usefull info.

Can you post details on where you got the bits please, is there a website?

Tim.

My Photos on Flickr
D5 Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 13:28   #3
JIM C
Forum Support Team

Many thanks for your posting.
Would be interested in an update once you have had them on for a couple of weeks. I am on the verge of ordering the top mounts.
http://www.quickbrickmotorsports.com/prod_p2strut.html
Thanks again.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 11:09   #4
Silverbrick
Deep sea Skiver!!!

How do these lower tranny mounts compare in price to the OE bit?
How many miles has your car done?
Silverbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 21:29   #5
mhon72
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lee1 View Post
How do these lower tranny mounts compare in price to the OE bit?
How many miles has your car done?
Not sure how much a replacement mount is?
But the QBM mount cost $80 USD plus shipping, say $30 for this on its own.

My car has done over 70k but the smaller rubber bushing had well and truely split.
My last S60 had 86k but the mount had never ever been replaced and the Geartronic in that one was nowhere as smooth so I'm guessing the mount on that must have been shot but the dealer never picked up on it. Not helped by the Neutral Stop function which I had removed.
So replacing the mount (Volvo or upgrade) may be something to investigate if you have a jerky gearbox.

Still getting use to the different noises made by the car now.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 21:39   #6
S60-MBS
VOC Member

Does the transmission need support when the mount is being removed ?
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 00:40   #7
mhon72
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60Driver View Post
Does the transmission need support when the mount is being removed ?
No. It's like the Engine Top Mount and serves to stop the engine/transmission from twisting out of position when you apply the gas.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 12:57   #8
Silverbrick
Deep sea Skiver!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhon72 View Post
Not sure how much a replacement mount is?
But the QBM mount cost $80 USD plus shipping, say $30 for this on its own.

My car has done over 70k but the smaller rubber bushing had well and truely split.
My last S60 had 86k but the mount had never ever been replaced and the Geartronic in that one was nowhere as smooth so I'm guessing the mount on that must have been shot but the dealer never picked up on it. Not helped by the Neutral Stop function which I had removed.
So replacing the mount (Volvo or upgrade) may be something to investigate if you have a jerky gearbox.

Still getting use to the different noises made by the car now.
Cheers The V70 D5 manual I`m getting has done 54k and is 4 years old so this mount sounds like it`s prime for a replacement I`ll have to check on the cost of an oe part
Silverbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Silverbrick For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 16:45   #9
S60-MBS
VOC Member

I got a quote from main dealer today £75 + VAT ..think the QBM would still be cheaper..
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 17:06   #10
toolbah
Master Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60Driver View Post
I got a quote from main dealer today £75 + VAT ..think the QBM would still be cheaper..
I had quote of Main dealer of £79.31 inc vat!!