Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S80 locking rear wheel

Views : 2483

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2009, 23:02   #1
w5moss

Default S80 locking rear wheel

Hi all - Probably a simple problem - After being sat for around 3 days, when moving off, the rear left wheel was found to be seized - almost as if the hand brake had not released properly. After rocking back, it was fine. Thought nothing of it, just that it got slightly stuck with being stationary for 3 days.
Since then, this has continued every morning, though not as bad. I'm pretty sure it's not a handbrake not releasing, since the wheel doesn't seem too warm after a hundred mile journey. I've since done a few hundred miles, but it is still slightly seized in the morning. Could it be something more serious than a sticky brake, like rear bearings or something. I'd rather let it wait till next service in 4 months time, but should i get it seen as a matter of urgency?
w5moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 23:15   #2
Nunchukhamster
Gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by w5moss View Post
Hi all - Probably a simple problem - After being sat for around 3 days, when moving off, the rear left wheel was found to be seized - almost as if the hand brake had not released properly. After rocking back, it was fine. Thought nothing of it, just that it got slightly stuck with being stationary for 3 days.
Since then, this has continued every morning, though not as bad. I'm pretty sure it's not a handbrake not releasing, since the wheel doesn't seem too warm after a hundred mile journey. I've since done a few hundred miles, but it is still slightly seized in the morning. Could it be something more serious than a sticky brake, like rear bearings or something. I'd rather let it wait till next service in 4 months time, but should i get it seen as a matter of urgency?
If you reverse when it happens do you get a loud clunk, then it releases?
Old Jan 19th, 2009, 10:15   #3
smle

Default S80 locking rear wheel

Hi,
The S80 handbrake system is a quite efficient drum and shoe system. Much better than handbrake systems that operate the rear pads.

Had similar problem recently and discovered that the linings on one of the shoes had become detached.

The parts were easily sourced at a local parts suppliers, (can't remember cost but quite cheap). and replacing them was easy.

Wouldn't wait for next service, if you are not hands on DIY get any mechanic to have a look.

Check suspension,check wheel bearing then check handbrake shoes, making sure also that handbrake cable is not seized.
smle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smle For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2009, 12:50   #4
w5moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunchukhamster View Post
If you reverse when it happens do you get a loud clunk, then it releases?
Thanks Nunchukhamster - Yes - eerily spot on with the description.
Old Jan 19th, 2009, 12:51   #5
Nunchukhamster
Gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by w5moss View Post
Thanks Nunchukhamster - Yes - eerily spot on with the description.
Handbrake shoes need sorting then
Old Jan 19th, 2009, 13:01   #6
captcaveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunchukhamster View Post
Handbrake shoes need sorting then
Get it done sooner rather then later, as I had this happen to me once, the rear wheel seized brifely at 80 mph, it was found to be the return spring on the brake shoes which caused the fault on mine.
But as Nunchukhamster says it could well be the brake shoe linings coming detached.
This is a common fault with both the s60 and s80 and very expensive close on £800 to have repaired at your local main Volvo dealer.
If you allow it to do the damage it did to mine which was smash the rear hub asembly that is.
Ouch replacement part sourced from a scrap dealer for £60 all in.
captcaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2009, 14:59   #7
John Underhill

Happens with both wheels on my 52 plate V70 D5 after I wash it, if I don't use it immediately and leave the hand brake on afterwards. I think the handbrake shoes are getting wet from the pressure washer and light overnight corrosion sticks them to the drum/disk. Rocking always clears the seizure, albeit with an unerving bang! Nevertheless it is worrying that the shoes may eventually come unstuck with expensive conequences. I'm due a rear disk/pad change so will take the opportunity to check/relace the shoes at the same time. Meanwhile, no more pressure washing the back wheels I think!
John Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Underhill For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 10:47   #8
Rusty Owner

Question V70 handbrake not releasing

I have this problem with my 54 plate D5 V70. If the car stands out in the rain or after standing when I have washed it, the handbrake does not release properly.

When it does release eventually there is a loud 'bang'. I assume there must be some ferrous matter in the friction material that rusts onto the disc?

I'm not sure how the handbrake mechanism works on the V70. Is it through the rear disc brake pads, or is there a separate mechanism?

I have also noticed that the handbrake lever is 'long' when this happens and goes back to 'normal' after it releases.
Rusty Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 11:17   #9
w5moss

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Owner View Post
I have this problem with my 54 plate D5 V70. If the car stands out in the rain or after standing when I have washed it, the handbrake does not release properly.

When it does release eventually there is a loud 'bang'. I assume there must be some ferrous matter in the friction material that rusts onto the disc?

I'm not sure how the handbrake mechanism works on the V70. Is it through the rear disc brake pads, or is there a separate mechanism?

I have also noticed that the handbrake lever is 'long' when this happens and goes back to 'normal' after it releases.
I've got some new shoes and springs - 3 per wheel from Volvo, and a mobile mechanic I use is coming to inspect and probably fir today - Hopefully this will cure. I'll inspect the shoes to see if the lining is coming away at all. They are the original shoes - so 8 years old. Since the shoes were around £25 it seems daft not to change, as the wheels are off. The springs were more than the shoeshttps://www.volvoforums.org.uk/images/icons/icon7.gificon8.gif