Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Key Fob Recode

Views : 24401

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 18th, 2009, 16:18   #1
S40_Paul
Master Member

Default Key Fob Recode

Hey all

My battery died in my fob sadfully so after going to get it changed and hoping it would work, it didnt lol! I;m guessing this needs recoding to my car and I'e heard this can be rather pricy, Im sure i've seen threads quoting around £50 for this recode, is this correct or is there a way you can recode it to the car manually?

S40_Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2009, 16:06   #2
huskydo

i also wouldnt mind knowing this.

my small child left the interior lights on for 2 days and killed the battery. (this was unknown at the time)

first i thought it was the fob batteries, so changed em for new ones, to no response. (obviously) Opened door with the key and realised what had happened. Sorted the battery out and the fob never worked again. which was so annoying as everytime i opened the door the alarm was coming on.

in end i had to unplug the connection from the alarm and the one in the drivers console ( i assume is the brain) this i would have thought would have kept the immobilser on constant but didnt.

i now have no central locking, or alarm and the fob worked perfect before the dead battery problem. so i don't think there is actually anything wrong with my fob.
huskydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2009, 16:41   #3
unaskedwriter

My dealer only charged me £22.50 a few weeks ago to reprogram a second-hand fob I got at a breakers yard. Where does everyone get this figure of £50?

My car's a 1997 s40. Ones after 2002 I think It may be (newer ones anyway- not just G2) require a new keyfob with a barcode accompanying them.

Also some dealerships say it's not possible to reprogram them at all. That's a lie, they either don't want to or don't know how to.
unaskedwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2009, 17:06   #4
Welshy

Quote:
Originally Posted by unaskedwriter View Post
My dealer only charged me £22.50 a few weeks ago to reprogram a second-hand fob I got at a breakers yard. Where does everyone get this figure of £50?

My car's a 1997 s40. Ones after 2002 I think It may be (newer ones anyway- not just G2) require a new keyfob with a barcode accompanying them.

Also some dealerships say it's not possible to reprogram them at all. That's a lie, they either don't want to or don't know how to.
That's interesting to know. I have a 2nd hand fob which I'm hoping to code to my car. What's the part number on yours and how many buttons does it have?
Welshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2009, 20:53   #5
unaskedwriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy View Post
That's interesting to know. I have a 2nd hand fob which I'm hoping to code to my car. What's the part number on yours and how many buttons does it have?
Mine are both (original and breakers one) part number 30 851156. It's rectangular and has two rectangular buttons marked "LOCK" and "UN LOCK". It looks like this one on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-30851156...3A1|240%3A1318

And mine's a 1997 R-reg S40.

Do any of these older ones have a boot pop on the remote? that would have been really cool. I've heard people mention a boot button on a remote.
unaskedwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2009, 21:02   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

The S/V40 remote fob up to 1999 model year can be used from another car , a dealer can program it to your car in less than 10 mins by a hand held volvo tool , so any more labour than that, ask why ...
1999 and on require a software download so a bit more expensive , say 20 minutes ...
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 19:59   #7
t4 b4192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The S/V40 remote fob up to 1999 model year can be used from another car , a dealer can program it to your car in less than 10 mins by a hand held volvo tool , so any more labour than that, ask why ...
1999 and on require a software download so a bit more expensive , say 20 minutes ...
mines a 2000 model phase 1,referred too as phase 1.5 on this forum,am i right in saying that mine has phase 2 electrics?i'm a little unsure about exactly what my car has?
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 20:59   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

most of the major changes came for the 1999 model year, including software remotes ,
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 11:57   #9
V40 Owner

Ah my answer might not help you, as your car is too new. Sorry

However it might be of use to drivers of older models, so I'll leave it in...
Quote:
Originally Posted by S40_Paul View Post
Hey all

My battery died in my fob sadfully so after going to get it changed and hoping it would work, it didnt lol! I;m guessing this needs recoding to my car and I'e heard this can be rather pricy, Im sure i've seen threads quoting around £50 for this recode, is this correct or is there a way you can recode it to the car manually?
My S-reg V40's keyfob managed to unpair itself from the car, and wouldn't disarm the immobiliser. Here's what I did to fix it:

1. Unlock the car with the fob (If yours isn't even unlocking it, then I dunno if this'll work if the car is manually unlocked using the key).
2. Lock again.
3. Unlock,lock ... unlock, lock ... unlock, lock .... unlock, lock, unlock.
4. Put key in ignition.
5. Turn the key to position II ... then off ... II ... off ... II (Do not take longer than ten seconds to do this - but it doesn't take 10 seconds to do this
6. Immobiliser light (car with cross through it) should be blinking (as it always does when the car doesn't recognise the remote).
7. Press either LOCK or UNLOCK button (doesn't matter which) four times. Immobiliser light should go steady, then go out.

I do not know if going through the lock/unlock cycle with the key fob is necessary. Next time it does it again (if it does - just swapped the batteries on Friday...) I will try from step 4. onwards and see what happens ...

This information was found from searching through a lot of other threads on here. Step 1)-3) apparently pair up the fob and the central locking. Step 4)-7) pair up the key fob with the immobiliser. At least that's how I suspect it works

Last edited by V40 Owner; Feb 22nd, 2009 at 11:59.
V40 Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V40 Owner For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 12:12   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V40 Owner View Post
Ah my answer might not help you, as your car is too new. Sorry

However it might be of use to drivers of older models, so I'll leave it in...

My S-reg V40's keyfob managed to unpair itself from the car, and wouldn't disarm the immobiliser. Here's what I did to fix it:

1. Unlock the car with the fob (If yours isn't even unlocking it, then I dunno if this'll work if the car is manually unlocked using the key).
2. Lock again.
3. Unlock,lock ... unlock, lock ... unlock, lock .... unlock, lock, unlock.
4. Put key in ignition.
5. Turn the key to position II ... then off ... II ... off ... II (Do not take longer than ten seconds to do this - but it doesn't take 10 seconds to do this
6. Immobiliser light (car with cross through it) should be blinking (as it always does when the car doesn't recognise the remote).
7. Press either LOCK or UNLOCK button (doesn't matter which) four times. Immobiliser light should go steady, then go out.

I do not know if going through the lock/unlock cycle with the key fob is necessary. Next time it does it again (if it does - just swapped the batteries on Friday...) I will try from step 4. onwards and see what happens ...

This information was found from searching through a lot of other threads on here. Step 1)-3) apparently pair up the fob and the central locking. Step 4)-7) pair up the key fob with the immobiliser. At least that's how I suspect it works

Thats all quite interesting ... but at the end of the day the remote rolls through all its changing codes when you hold the button down and i believe the car latches on once the code comes around again ..
Did your immobiliser light come on ? Because the immobiliser has no connection at all with the remote ,
The immobiliser is just connected to the ignition key and engine ECU ,
two independant systems ...