Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2000 V70 Handbrake Shoes - damaged hub assembly

Views : 3723

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 17th, 2009, 21:31   #1
gomez

Default 2000 V70 Handbrake Shoes - damaged hub assembly

Hello - new here and new to Volvo ownership and really know nowt about cars so please be gentle with me.

Anyhoo handbrake shoes have come away and damaged hub assembly by knocking the lug/block that (that they attach to?) of the hub. Garage advising very costly job and suggested may be possible to re-attach lug/block by various screws/taps/bolts etc. I believe the hub is cast from aluminium so I am a bit nervous of this approach - i.e.not convinced it will possibly be strong enough and hence break off again, shoes jam rear wheel and I am not in a car park the next time it happens....

Any advise please?
gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 23:55   #2
adamsky01
back for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomez View Post
Hello - new here and new to Volvo ownership and really know nowt about cars so please be gentle with me.

Anyhoo handbrake shoes have come away and damaged hub assembly by knocking the lug/block that (that they attach to?) of the hub. Garage advising very costly job and suggested may be possible to re-attach lug/block by various screws/taps/bolts etc. I believe the hub is cast from aluminium so I am a bit nervous of this approach - i.e.not convinced it will possibly be strong enough and hence break off again, shoes jam rear wheel and I am not in a car park the next time it happens....

Any advise please?

i would replace are u on abought this ?
adamsky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 18:33   #3
gomez

Whilst the picture is pretty I have no idea if it is the damaged part or not

Thanks for the reply - my gut feeling is that it needs to be replaced too.
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 00:42   #4
adamsky01
back for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomez View Post
Whilst the picture is pretty I have no idea if it is the damaged part or not

Thanks for the reply - my gut feeling is that it needs to be replaced too.
why dont u get a picture of the ofending area and post it up one of us will tell u whats going wrong and weare
adamsky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to adamsky01 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 22:05   #5
delmatt00

Default This happened to me

Hi. The very same thing happened to my s60 a while back. The shoes friction material comes off and damages the complete hub unit by shearing the aluminium block. I cant remember how much but the whole assembly was hugely expensive from Volvo. I could not face a huge bill so ended up buying a second hand hub assembly from Braydon Motor company who were most helpful. It worked out much cheaper and I got a local garage to replace it all. Because the assembly was complete it only took them an hour as well.

I was not worried about using a secondhand part because it should not wear out unless destroyed by loose brake shoes.....good luck
delmatt00 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delmatt00 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 15:16   #6
RaVolvoR
v70se170 - with toys!

Whats the proceedure for checking this? Wheel off and then what? Just that I think my hand brake is reaching its limit and I'd like to avoid a heavy bill for new hubs! 2003 V70 170bhp Auto Is there a decent repair manual or similar available for these cars at reasonable cost? Appreciate any advice on the hub issue though!
RaVolvoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 17:03   #7
gomez

Cheers guys. Second-hand would be an acceptable way to go - and I would much prefer that to a repair on existing hub.

Pretty sure local mechanic already thinks I am an useless bint so turning up with digital camera and asking to take a picture to post to my imaginary pals on 'Tinternet may not be the way to go to.....

Will check out prices on second-hand hub since I have got no takers on the repair idea.

Thanks again
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 17:06   #8
gomez

RaVolvoR - I think you basically need to do as you suggest - wheels off, discs off and then check out handbrake shoes. They are not dear, maybe £20 a pair perhaps. Well worth a preventative look given a hub plues bits and bods is coming in at around £480 probably need new bushes too plus garage time!

Would a Haynes manual not be what you are looking for?

Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to gomez For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 20:40   #9
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

Is this a problem that can happen on the 940? I suspect mine has gone the same way.
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 19:10   #10
forster

Default V70 Handbrake shoes

Having read the threads regarding brake lining detatching from the shoes, and the very costly damage that can occur ,I went out and bought a set of shoes from my Volvo dealer for my 2000 V70.(The round hold down springs are rather fiddly!) Whilst the shoes I removed looked O/K, they appeared to be the originals. They cost around £29.Worth it, I thought, for peace of mind.Point of interest- the originals were made in France, the new ones made in China .Volvo's are truly international cars!
forster is offline   Reply With Quote