Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Blue Power - Users Opinion

Views : 7373

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 26th, 2009, 17:25   #1
Ricco

Question Blue Power - Users Opinion

So yes for most of us this does look desirable but is it as user friendly to buy/install? Lets ask those that have bought it so far and see where we go from here.

BIG thanks in advance to those that have already bought/invested in one of these and post back their own comments.

Regards
Ricco
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 18:02   #2
Trem

Bit of a git to install mainly due to the cup holder. All fits in but getting the cup holder to line up with the stereo is a massive ball ache, mine still juts out about 3mm. Just can't be arsed to do it. Everything else is easy as long as you know which way to tackle it. The BP unit just plugs straight in and you connect the pink wire to the short black earth wire on the BP wiring loom to give you movies/tv on the move, its all there just unplugged so its the user's option to connect rather than BP selling a unit that may be illegal in certain countries.

As said in the other thread the sat nav is good, its by iGo and its version 8. It does not have speed cam locations on it but they are available from places such as pocketgps etc. Took not very long at all to install speed cam locations. I hate the warning beep for speed cams, its either an annoying constant beep for about 500 yards before the cam or its no beep at all. There is no inbetween, I tried to install a different skin but couldn't get it to load that would of given me more audio options.

Sound is good, as good as oem unit or *slightly* lower, seems slightly less bass but having said that I have not messed with *any* audio settings.

Menu is fine, I hear grumbles about the menu being crap but its fine, no issues at all and that includes the cd playlist menu, its fine, workable at worst.

Hands free is great, I do have to talk quite loudly but then again my mate with hands free on his TomTom has to as well so its all much of a muchness.

Radio reception was awful when I first had the unit but turning off the AF for the radio sorted that out and the reception is now perfect, better than oem.

TV reception is dreadful but I bought a £8 aerial off Ebay so I didn't expect anything else really, unwatchable when moving and fuzzy when still.

DVD playback/divx playback is good, no messing it just plays this is also unwatchable if the sun is shining though and there is obviously no way to move the screen to keep the light off it, a sun visor is needed or maybe a pull out sort of shade type thing.

Haven't tried iPod, but the iPod in itself is a messy piece of turd to use in my opinion so can't see the BP being any worse.

SD/USB playback is fine, takes a few minutes for the USB stick to kick in but its fine. I hate that if power to the unit is cut off (going shop for paper, posting a letter, getting stopped for speeding etc) the present song restarts at the beginning again, most annoying indeed.

I also hate the fact that the source button is also the on/off button, press it too quickly and it simply changes the source when you wanted to turn the unit off, what this means is that next time it comes on you are in the wrong source, that ****es me right off.

I also hate how most of the time my unit turns on even though before I stopped I had turned it off, that may just be my brain though

I would say its worth the new price they are asking but maybe not the price I paid, but I feel better about paying for mine before the sale price because of the excellent service I got from Bluepower, mind blowing service and I would suggest anyone who wants one of these go direct through BP themselves. I hope they are like that with everyone and not just me who they know is on the UK's biggest Volvo forum, I'm just synical though
Trem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trem For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 20:25   #3
Ricco

Cool big write up there dude

I am guessing there are many more that bought the unit to date that will never post here. Which would be a shame as more we all know about this unit the better, I'd guess right?
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 23:14   #4
MrP

have a root around on you tube, IPD did a series of 9 videos showing the basic functions and menus
MrP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 18:13   #5
Bigskip

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrP View Post
have a root around on you tube, IPD did a series of 9 videos showing the basic functions and menus
Indeed they did, and the interface is not all that good.

Andy
Bigskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 18:15   #6
Trem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigskip View Post
Indeed they did, and the interface is not all that good.

Andy
Interface is fine, tell me, have you used it?
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 07:56   #7
Ricco

Cool blue power

I would love to see one in a car before I actually order one.

Who is the closest to Cardiff and willing to show it off to me?
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 10:42   #8
Trem

I'm in Stoke so I'm bloody miles away.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 19:30   #9
Bigskip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trem View Post
Interface is fine, tell me, have you used it?

No i haven't, just my opinion from seeing the you tube vids, certainly made me change my mind about getting one.

Just my opinion

Andy
Bigskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 20:20   #10
Trem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigskip View Post
No i haven't, just my opinion from seeing the you tube vids, certainly made me change my mind about getting one.

Just my opinion

Andy
Of course, and it is a lot of money, I guess anything that makes you think twice should be avoided.

I just don't get why the interface is slagged off so much, absolutely it could be better but it is very easy to use, it just looks horrid I guess. More than the interface the touch screen on the usb playback is the worst thing, it just simply doesn't work without constant pressing and even then you have to find the right spot. Forgot about that gripe until now.