Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

HU-803 CD ERROR message

Views : 22282

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 29th, 2009, 13:58   #1
gildersol

Default HU-803 CD ERROR message

Car is 2002 S60

My son just went out to my car to get a cd out of the HU-803 unit. Now, I don't know what he's done, maybe pressed the eject button before it had gone through the whole sequence of ejecting or something. I'm not sure, but now the unit is showing the message CD ERROR and won't allow me to load a CD.
Is there a way to reset this?
I've had the car for 4 years and the music system has never gave a minutes bother.
gildersol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 15:13   #2
gildersol

Okay, I managed to get it working. I read a lot of posts on here and elsewhere on the net and there were a lot who were saying a new unit was required or an expensive fix by the dealer.
Anyway, I read on Vadis that when you remove the head unit you have to reset the CD mechanism by disconnecting the green plug on the rear.
What I did though was remove the fuse for the unit while it was switched on. Then I switched off the ignition and replaced the fuse. After 5 mins switched ignition back on and the unit goes through a CD mechanical reset then worked Ok again
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gildersol For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 19:16   #3
volvomv

Default CD Error HU 850

Thanks for giving me a different approach to my "CD ERROR" alas still no joy. I even used the reset to 'TRANSPORT' mode sequence recommended by VOLVO. Looks like a remove and disassemble for me :-(
volvomv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 20:29   #4
whittle708
S60 D3 R-Design

Ive always used the 'bang the unit with my fist' method. Has worked everytime for me

I did try resetting mine the first time and it didn't work, then i pressed eject and got annoyed when it was just making a noise so banged it. a few seconds later my cd was spat out.
whittle708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 07:24   #5
gildersol

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvomv View Post
Thanks for giving me a different approach to my "CD ERROR" alas still no joy. I even used the reset to 'TRANSPORT' mode sequence recommended by VOLVO. Looks like a remove and disassemble for me :-(
That's a pity. I did realise when reading other peoples problems with this that it obviously wasn't always such a straight forward fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by whittle708
Ive always used the 'bang the unit with my fist' method. Has worked everytime for me
I'll keep that one in mind.

What I will say is that it's an excellent standard sound system when it works
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 13:38   #6
volvomv

Default Look forward to hearing a CD

Yes, totally agree when working it is very good as a standard system. Preparing to remove and investigate next Saturday. I will report back
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 04:55   #7
Marcel
Trader

Default HU 803 repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by gildersol View Post
That's a pity. I did realise when reading other peoples problems with this that it obviously wasn't always such a straight forward fix

I'll keep that one in mind.

What I will say is that it's an excellent standard sound system when it works
we can repair the unit for you.

You can send the unit to
Central Services (Ipswich)
188 spring road
ipswich
suffolk IP45NR
01473 725953

Units repaired the day we receive them, estimates are given prior to returning unit to you.
Most parts in stock

regards
Marcel
Marcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 20:29   #8
volvomv

Default No more CD Error

Well it was a jamned CD and now the CD's load and eject perfectly. However they do not play so not over yet. I have taken some pictures and willpost them when this ends
Old Jul 3rd, 2009, 00:48   #9
somergirl

Talking Revelation

I am new to this forum and have been wandering around picking up bits here and there.

I have a '00 V70 XC with a HU 803, which started eating CD's within a month of me having it.

Still under warranty so the garage sent an audio guy out to have a look.
Great help, he said he would need to take the unit back to the workshop, then couldn't figure out how to remove it. He went away and was meant to get back to me, he never did and I never chased. I just made do with the radio.

I found this post and just went out to try it, and lo and behold I recovered all four eaten cd's and was able to put them back in, listen to them then eject them with no hassle

Thanks much for the info
Old Jul 4th, 2009, 15:47   #10
gildersol

Glad to hear it was useful for someone else. Can't do without the CD's.