Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Blowers staying on when engine is off.....

Views : 9219

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 9th, 2009, 21:28   #1
jgeorg25

Default Blowers staying on when engine is off.....

Hi All,

This is my first post so be gentle. I bought a brand new xc 90 D5 Active 3 months ago and as the weather has started to warm up I;ve been using the aircon more and more, but recently I've noticed that if my aircon is working 100% when I turn my engine off, when I return to the car even if its the next day the blowers will be on with the aircon off which is quite worrying incase the battery goes flat. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Regards Jason
jgeorg25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 22:58   #2
ckp
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgeorg25 View Post
Hi All,

This is my first post so be gentle. I bought a brand new xc 90 D5 Active 3 months ago and as the weather has started to warm up I;ve been using the aircon more and more, but recently I've noticed that if my aircon is working 100% when I turn my engine off, when I return to the car even if its the next day the blowers will be on with the aircon off which is quite worrying incase the battery goes flat. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Regards Jason
I have a 2008 XC90 and have the same thing happen on very not days (well hot day) The aircon/fan will try to keep the ambient in the car cool even if the keys are out! Dealer told me all was well as it's designed to do this and won't run the battery down. I have only noticed my car doing this for 1-2 hours after a drive (even if parked in garage). I was in France last year and the car was parked outside in 30C but never saw it come on during the next day!

I have just left it with fingers crossed. Is there a way to stop this?
ckp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 05:42   #3
wagga

Radiator blower running with the engine off is a normal thing.
But then again, it could not be that hot it is has to run for hours.

I assume we are talking about radiator fan and not the aircon blower inside. Aircon blower speed will remain in its previous last setting even if the you do not press the AC button. But will only operate if the ignition key is turn to I (or II?), afaik.

If the you talking about the aircon blower, running by itself without the keys in, not sure if the AUTO button in the climate control has anything to do with it.

If for radiator fan,

Check your engine temperature without starting the car when the blower is running, assuming into few hours after you turn the engine off the last time. It should not be above the normal operating condition.

If temperature is low and it is still running, might want to check the starting switch of the blower. Or if temperature remain high, might want to check the thermostat.
wagga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 07:39   #4
ckp
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagga View Post
Radiator blower running with the engine off is a normal thing.
But then again, it could not be that hot it is has to run for hours.

I assume we are talking about radiator fan and not the aircon blower inside. Aircon blower speed will remain in its previous last setting even if the you do not press the AC button. But will only operate if the ignition key is turn to I (or II?), afaik.

If the you talking about the aircon blower, running by itself without the keys in, not sure if the AUTO button in the climate control has anything to do with it.

If for radiator fan,

Check your engine temperature without starting the car when the blower is running, assuming into few hours after you turn the engine off the last time. It should not be above the normal operating condition.

If temperature is low and it is still running, might want to check the starting switch of the blower. Or if temperature remain high, might want to check the thermostat.
Its not the rad fan in the engine bay, it's the internal fans, you can feel the air coming out of the air vents. It doesn't run for 1-2 hours, on-off during tha time.
ckp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 07:42   #5
FaKaWi
Master Member

Some car aircon system fans come on automatically to dry themselves out when they have been used heavily, usually an hour or two after the engine has been turned off, although I don't know if this is true of the Volvo system.
FaKaWi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 07:49   #6
John_C
Allons-y!

That's true of some Volvo systems, but not all. The OP's problem sounds different to that though. A quick phone call to your dealer sounds your best bet, or does the handbook cover a feature which would leave the fans running?
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 13:25   #7
jettfxr

I have a 2009 XC-90 and am experiencing the same issue with the blower motor operating (talking about air coming through the interior air vents) long after the car has been turned off. I have departed the car, blower motor not running, only to return hours later and find the blower motor running. No way to tell how long the blower motor has been running. Find it hard to believe there is little to no risk of draining the car battery. Hard to show the dealer the issue unless I just happen to turn off the car while at the dealer and the blower motor continues to operate. Hope someone posts an accurate answer on this topic
jettfxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 15:42   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

This is normal it comes on and off at certain times for 10 mins or so to keep the AC Evaporator dry and free of bacteria and smells .. It is called " Afterblow " ... no problem for a battery in good condition ..
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 16:29   #9
GSMGuy
Master Member

Are we sure that it's not just coming on when you unlock the car with the remote, possibly to clear stale air from inside the car???

Mike
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 00:01   #10
jgeorg25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMGuy View Post
Are we sure that it's not just coming on when you unlock the car with the remote, possibly to clear stale air from inside the car???

Mike
Positive the first time I noticed it, I was walking past the car with the dog. After opening the bonnet to check if it was the coolant fan I discovered it was the cabin fans. Can anyone else confirm that that this is normal.
jgeorg25 is offline   Reply With Quote