Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo Gas Distributor Problems

Views : 3079

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 18th, 2009, 12:39   #1
workid

Default Volvo Gas Distributor Problems

I am currently experiencing problems with my S60 2004 Bi Fuel Gas distributor which was replaced in Nov 2007 at 44800 miles at a shared cost 60/40. In July 2008 the Distributor was replaced again free of charge. I ow have the same problem just 1 year after needing another Gas distributor. Volvo are claiming that this was due to my vehicle not being serviced at Volvo and the problem could be with the Gas Filter. Considering the last time Volvo services my vehicle August 2006 I started to have problems with my Gas in may 2007 finally resulting in a replacement Gas Distributor.

Volvo claim that Quote " I agree that that it is unusual for the same part to fail three times; in these instances we can only assume that there is an underlying problem" Yet I now find that I am not the only Bi Fuel driver to suffer Gas distributor problems. I am keen for other users to get in touch about there problems as I believe that Volvo are well aware of the Distributor problem and are not addressing the this issue but are happy for us to continue to pay out and not addressing the real issue which is the Gas distributor problem. I am in discussions now with Volvo Head Office and they are currently implying that there no known problem with the Gas distributor.

I hope to get enough info to challenge this and possible look at Watchdog to look into this if I can prove that this is not just a one off problem. I would be grateful if I could hear from other Bi Fuel users who have had similar problems.
workid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 10:16   #2
MrP

exactly what problems are you having???
MrP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 19:25   #3
workid

First problem started in early 2007 with my vehicle not running smoothly on Gas. This was checked a number of times by Volvo dealer and they eventually claimed that they found a missfire on cylinder 2 and stated that I wuld need a new Gas distributor. (my vehicle was just out of its 3 year warranty) The Gas Distributor was replaced at a 60/40 cost (Volvo accepting the 60%). Everything runing fine for 6months then the same problem again. Volvo Dealer replaced the Gas distributor (Free) this lasted another year and the same problem appeared again. Volvo are now refusing to accept that the part is faulty and claim that Gas Distributor is now out of it's 12 months warranty.
workid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 11:12   #4
MrP

did they replace the coil pack at any time?
MrP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 12:16   #5
stephenmoto

I also have an 04 S60 factory bi-fuel that regularly suffers from a misfire when running on gas. The misfire usually occurs on light throttle, i.e cruising at 50-60mph. I have owned the car for over 2 years now and the first time it happened I bought a gas distributor repair kit from Volvo for around £16 and stripped down the gas distributor myself replacing all the seals and diaphrams included with the kit. During the strip-down I noticed that there were deposits of oil, the consistency of cooking oil would be best to describe it. I used carb cleaner to remove this and the car ran perfectly again for around another 10000 miles before the misfire returned. This time I just disconnected the pipe between the gas distributer and the gas filter, at the filter end, and squirted about a third of a can of carb cleaner down the pipe and then reconnected it (a trick I learned form this forum). The car ran perfectly again for about another 10000 miles (I do around 16000 mile a year) before the misfire returned. Each time this happens I just perform this 5 minute carb cleaner job.

In my opinion your gas distributor is not faultly, it just needs cleaning internally on a regular basis. Maybe Volvo should include this in their service schedule? Incidentally I have filled up with gas from both Shell, BP and an independent and they must all have fine deposits of oil in the fuel which the gas filter does not seem to stop from entering the gas distributor.

I previously owned a factory converted Astra (similar Necam system if I recall) which also suffered from the same problem. Back then though I paid £200 for a new gas distributor not knowing what I know now (a lot cheaper than Volvo I understand)!
stephenmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stephenmoto For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 22:42   #6
humphrey999

Hey Stephen, please can you give me a bit more info on your 'solution'? Do you need to depressurise the LPG system first? Did you run the car hard after spraying the carb cleaner down the pipe?. Any particular techniques you use or tips you have?
Thanks!

H
humphrey999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 20:58   #7
pouch

Hi i also have a 2003 bi fuel 140.000 on clock, iv'e done 70.000 in last two years,when i bought the car it had a missfire, so i disconected gas pipe below the filter,a small hiss is heard as the gas in the pipe is relessed,no problem just dont smoke
Then i poured half a bottle of STP injector cleaner down the pipe,reconected the pipe,started the engine waited for auto switch over,the car would spplutter and stall,then i leave the car for a few hours to let it desolve the oil deposits.
Then when i start it i takes a few seconds to clear, then runs like a dream,i do this process when ever it starts to miss or stall,or every 10.000 milles.I have tried diff types of cleaner and found this one to be best! good look
pouch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pouch For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 22:36   #8
piano

i have had the same problem as you with my s60 bi-fuel and the same response from volvo i even went through the trading standards dept and got no where in getting volvo to accept that there is a problem in the quality of distributors theymanufactiure if the part lasts for less than 26000 miles (this being the milage i managed befor each of my distributors stopped working.
Volvo were adament that mine was the only report they had of this part not working correctly
piano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 10:13   #9
landie57

Default Gas distributor problem

I have a late 2002 V70 Bi-Fuel, ex dealer demo car bought in early 2003. It has had the gas distributor changed several times and is now booked in again for investigations as the problem re-occured on way home from 108000 mile service last week.
Symptoms are loss of power on LPG, switch to petrol and car runs fine. It can take several miles before it will run on LPG without any problems. Investigations, when they do show a fault code, indicate a mis-fire on one cylinder.
I agree with others that the gas distributor is not fit for purpose. Does anyone know if it is possible to find out how many Bi-Fuel cars were sold in UK by Volvo and then see how many gas distributors they have sold/fitted as replacements. It is a part I would expect to last as long as the engine.
landie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 10:37   #10
pouch

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by landie57 View Post
I have a late 2002 V70 Bi-Fuel, ex dealer demo car bought in early 2003. It has had the gas distributor changed several times and is now booked in again for investigations as the problem re-occured on way home from 108000 mile service last week.
Symptoms are loss of power on LPG, switch to petrol and car runs fine. It can take several miles before it will run on LPG without any problems. Investigations, when they do show a fault code, indicate a mis-fire on one cylinder.
I agree with others that the gas distributor is not fit for purpose. Does anyone know if it is possible to find out how many Bi-Fuel cars were sold in UK by Volvo and then see how many gas distributors they have sold/fitted as replacements. It is a part I would expect to last as long as the engine.
Glad it worked! it worked for me again this week,i will try and help more in future as i beleve i know my car inside-out now,155.000 miles and you would think its done 10.000. I love it! merry christmas
pouch is offline   Reply With Quote