Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DIY flash code reader.

Views : 1951

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 13:30   #1
Matthews 855 T5
Master Member

Default DIY flash code reader.

Hello Volvo friends, are there any tips on building this because the one I have made doesn't work.

I followed the instructions: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=46943

I am stuck as there are no flashes whatsoever, possibly my 12v led isn't working or my obdII isn't working. (I think my electronics skills are naff but I want to learn).

Does anyone have a link to the right parts from Maplins that I can buy to assemble my own reader?

Also does anyone have instructions for using a 12v multimeter to get reading from the obdII port?

Thanks
Matt
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 14:59   #2
Toplights
VOC Member 23660

Good evening to all,Matthew I dont mean to hijack you'r thread but the OBD Port on my car is under the armrest it is also a V70 R Reg and the above doese't work for me,is there a simmilar flash code reader i could try on my car,if so any links would be helpfull to me allso thanks matt.

Just had a read up and the only reader that will definatly read my car is the VCR by Ilexa is it? if i knew how to deleat this post i would .

Last edited by Toplights; Nov 3rd, 2009 at 15:22.
Toplights is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toplights For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 20:25   #3
jeremycolley

first do a search on this forum to see if you can read the codes from your car using this method. Next, check that the LED is the correct way round. One of the wires is longer than the other, which indicates their polarity (+ or -). I'm not sure which is which, but it wont work both ways. You don't need the resistor either.
Jeremy
jeremycolley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeremycolley For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 22:37   #4
Matthews 855 T5
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toplights941 View Post
Good evening to all,Matthew I dont mean to hijack you'r thread but the OBD Port on my car is under the armrest it is also a V70 R Reg and the above doese't work for me,is there a simmilar flash code reader i could try on my car,if so any links would be helpfull to me allso thanks matt.

Just had a read up and the only reader that will definatly read my car is the VCR by Ilexa is it? if i knew how to deleat this post i would .
No problem, my obd port is under the coin slots behind the gear lever. I didn't realise that 12v leds had different length wire so I've probably got the wrong parts. The earlier models had their own device allowing owners to read codes - why do things have to change?
Matt
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 22:44   #5
Matthews 855 T5
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremycolley View Post
first do a search on this forum to see if you can read the codes from your car using this method. Next, check that the LED is the correct way round. One of the wires is longer than the other, which indicates their polarity (+ or -). I'm not sure which is which, but it wont work both ways. You don't need the resistor either.
Jeremy
I didn't realise that the led has a longer stem for the + polarity, they both look the same. Will any kind of 12v led suffice? What guage wire is required?

Thanks
Matt
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 23:17   #6
Toplights
VOC Member 23660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthews 855 T5 View Post
I didn't realise that the led has a longer stem for the + polarity, they both look the same. Will any kind of 12v led suffice? What guage wire is required?

Thanks
Matt
I would use something like an LED Sidelight bulb matt, you only need a bulb within a circuit,nothing special.buy some cheap test leads with crockodile clips
(e-bay) and chop em about ,three paper clips for conecting to you'r obd plug,thats it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toplights For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 4th, 2009, 11:25   #7
Matthews 855 T5
Master Member

Default Finally got codes out - yippee!

Okay, woke up and took the advice of previous posters above.

I had the led wired the wrong way round. It is so simple when you get the hang of it, more frustrating is getting to the parts behind the dash to fix my heater. Anyway, finally go the hang of it and retrieved codes:

Pin 3: 1-1-1
Pin 13: 1-2-2

I got a huge amount of codes from the ECC (pin 6) so I have started another post showing the codes as I want to fix my heater.

Thanks for your help
Matt
Old Nov 4th, 2009, 11:30   #8
pillapow
05 V70 T5 G-tronic

I too am trying this method but only have a multimeter, I get a reading when i stick the wire in pin 3 like jods guide says but nothing after that, How do you go about reading this on a multimeter, I have the meter set to the position where it makes a beep as a pose to a flash of an led... Am i doing it wrong?

Volvos are great cars, sometimes.
pillapow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2009, 18:15   #9
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Yes, set it to read DC volts.

Flash then = Volts around 10V

Dark = Volts around 2V or lower.

You will be much better off using a LED as it will be very difficult to reset the codes using a digial multimter, it just won't react quicky enough.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2009, 09:34   #10
Matthews 855 T5
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Rogers View Post
Yes, set it to read DC volts.

Flash then = Volts around 10V

Dark = Volts around 2V or lower.

You will be much better off using a LED as it will be very difficult to reset the codes using a digial multimter, it just won't react quicky enough.
I agree, you can build the reader for a few pence! It just takes a little patience getting the codes out. Worst part is working out how to fix the problem that left the codes in the first place.

Matt