Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The new versus the old

Views : 4773

Replies : 51

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 8th, 2010, 13:21   #1
froggyted
Master Member

Default The new versus the old

Hello. This is addressed to those who previously owned an S40 Classic and have moved on to the new model. I’m hoping to purchase the new model later this year, so your views will be appreciated.

I currently own a 2002 (Phase II) 2.0 S40 SE, having previously owned a 1.7 340 GL and a 2.0 440 GLT. Prior to that I drove Ford Capris! I still have my car main-dealer serviced, so I’ve also driven various manifestations of the new model, including S40 R-Design (nice!) and V50 R-Design as courtesy cars.

The old 340 was rife with electrical problems and also had a very unimpressive ride, and as my introduction to the pleasures of driving a Volvo it could very easily have been my last. However, as an admirer of Volvo’s overall design philosophy, i took a chance with the 440 and was impressed with it – in fact, I still have a soft spot for it. The S40 I currently own is, overall, the best car I’ve ever had. The engine and gearbox are really nice, even if a bit more power would be welcome. The build quality is very impressive too, and I love the design of the interior, which is full of flowing curves - it’s obvious that Volvo went out of their way here to shake off the staid image of boring rectangular lines. In addition, it’s very nicely equipped, and loaded with safety features (6 airbags compared with the 1 in the440, plus WHIPS). HOWEVER, to me the Classic S40 is rife with what are for me, irritating little shortcomings, and overall I feel that it’s a car that tries very hard to be loved but somehow falls short. I really don’t like the driving position, for example. Over the five years I’ve had the car I’ve never found a seat position I’m really satisfied with. I don’t like not being able to see the bonnet from my driving position, and the only way of doing this is to have the seat raised high so that your head is almost touching the headlining and is perilously close to the driver’s hand grab (this is another gripe: the driver’s hand grab is superfluous for most users, and imo should have been an option. It doesn’t recess, and i wouldn’t fancy the chances of the side curtain deploying before your head took a nasty crack against it in the event of a side impact. You can’t even remove it neatly, because Volvo don’t supply a blanking plug to fill the screw holes).

From my limited experience of driving the new S40 it addresses just about every reservation I have with the Classic model: a much nicer driving position (with the wiper blades recessed too), and you can even fine-tune the seat on the move, as well as adjust the steering wheel reach. Another big plus is the more reassured handling thanks to the wider wheelbase, DSC as standard, and a better suspension setup. There are lots of other improvements too, e.g. cruise and radio controls on the steering wheel, which contributes to safer driving; the choice of fine-tuning the intermittent wipe speed (there’s nothing more annoying than wiper blades scraping across the windscreen in light drizzle!); separate selection of cabin temperature for the passenger’s side (my girlfriend likes a bit of warmth in the winter but I prefer a trickle of cold air on my face). I love the information centre too, with comprehensive visual and audio warning information for seatbelts, doors etc. Even irritating little issues like the digital clock, which is only clearly visible to the driver in the Classic model, have been addressed. These are only the improvements I can currently remember, but there are more. If I was to criticise the new S40 then all I would say is that, visually, the Classic model is more elegant both outside and in (where the new model has reverted to a more ‘utilitarian’ design with boxy airvents etc.), and the control buttons on the floating centre console (which overall is an inspired bit of design) are rather small and fiddly.

So, (if you’ve got this far!) what are the opinions of the panel? Does anybody prefer the Classic model, and are there any faults with the new model that I’m not yet aware of? As I said at the beginning, I’m seriously considering buying one of the new model S40s later in the year, so your feedback will be much appreciated.

Last edited by froggyted; Apr 8th, 2010 at 13:30.
froggyted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 16:51   #2
Harvey1512
Premier Member

I have an R-Design and have enjoyed it a great deal. No real faults other than very poor dipped headlights which have been a spoiler for me.

I suspect the issue of seeing the bonnet will still be there. As cars need to pass the "hit a pedestrian safely" test then bonnets that dip away are probably here to stay. I don't like it either but we seem to be stuck with it.

I can't compare with the old car but I have certainly enjoyed having mine for the last two years. (comfiest seats in a car that I ever had for certain)
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 17:43   #3
homer timpson

We've had the S40 1.8XS since 1999 - 98K on the clock with rock solid reliability.
Only moving it on because I'm inheriting the 54 plate S40SE from shmbo [if it ever comes - you've seen my other thread!!].

Having driven both for the past 5 years I do prefer the newer model - maybe the heated leather seats are a bigger draw than my current ones.

Overall I much prefer the newer model - handling/ride/comfort.

My one gripe is the footrest [or rather lack of it]
Certainly miss that every time I drive her car and my left foot is perched between the clutch and the trim with nowhere to go!!

That aside I can't wait to get hold of it and, eventually, the new one as well.

Homer
homer timpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2010, 13:43   #4
froggyted
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post
I have an R-Design and have enjoyed it a great deal. No real faults other than very poor dipped headlights which have been a spoiler for me.

I suspect the issue of seeing the bonnet will still be there. As cars need to pass the "hit a pedestrian safely" test then bonnets that dip away are probably here to stay. I don't like it either but we seem to be stuck with it.

I can't compare with the old car but I have certainly enjoyed having mine for the last two years. (comfiest seats in a car that I ever had for certain)
Yes, the only time i've driven the new model on an unlit road i noticed that the low-beam wasn't too impressive Harvey. It's amazing that such an obvious fault could exist in a marque known for its safety. Have you tried fitting high-intensity bulbs, they will probably help somewhat?

As for the driving position, i've found it no problem on the new model - you can see the bonnet even when the seats are low, unlike on the Classic where you need to have the seat almost fully raised (which brings your head perilously close to the grab handle).

I fully agree about the comfort of the seats btw, and also, re your footnote, the heated seat option. I had this on both my 340 and my 440, and really miss it on the current car. I'll be making sure i have heated seats on the next model, and will also be paying extra for reverse sensors, which i understand can be retro fitted.

Last edited by froggyted; Apr 9th, 2010 at 14:19.
Old Apr 9th, 2010, 13:55   #5
froggyted
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer timpson View Post
We've had the S40 1.8XS since 1999 - 98K on the clock with rock solid reliability.
Only moving it on because I'm inheriting the 54 plate S40SE from shmbo [if it ever comes - you've seen my other thread!!].

Having driven both for the past 5 years I do prefer the newer model - maybe the heated leather seats are a bigger draw than my current ones.

Overall I much prefer the newer model - handling/ride/comfort.

My one gripe is the footrest [or rather lack of it]
Certainly miss that every time I drive her car and my left foot is perched between the clutch and the trim with nowhere to go!!

That aside I can't wait to get hold of it and, eventually, the new one as well.

Homer
Your comments about the lack of footrest are interesting Homer. I've driven various versions of the new model and never even noticed that, yet the S40 Classic is the first car i've ever had that features this and i find it really useful. It might be even more of an issue for me since i'm probably going to go for an automatic next time around. I had one for just a day when the main dealer had complications with a repair and didn't have any manual drives to hand, and after i'd spent five minutes getting out of their premises (hitting the brake thinking it was a clutch pedal!), i was converted. We had an arduous journey from Bristol to Northumberland a couple of years in dreadful weather. The last 30 miles or so were in the dusk along winding, flooded roads, with hairpin bends and some severe gradients, and i just got forever changing gear, so i think an automatic would make for a far more relaxed journey.
Old Apr 9th, 2010, 14:19   #6
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggyted View Post
Yes, the only time i've driven the new model on an unlit road i noticed that the low-beam wasn't too impressive Harvey. It's amazing that such an obvious fault could exist in a marque known for its safety. Have you tried fitting high-intensity bulbs, they will probably help somewhat?

I fully agree about the comfort of the seats btw, and also, re your footnote, the heated seat option. I had this on both my 340 and my 440, and really miss it on the current car. I'll be making sure i have heated seats on the next model, and will also be paying extra for reverse sensors, which i understand can be retro fitted.
Have done the brighter bulb bit but they both blew within 3 months as they are not designed to be used with DRL's, Osram confirmed this. Apparently the Philips ones work better but as I had already blown £25 on one set I was not keen to try another. V. disappointing.

Heat seats, aaaahhhhhhhhhhhh. Just a wonderful invention.
Old Apr 9th, 2010, 21:17   #7
Jonnieb2009
Master Member

get a hid conversion off ebay approx £60
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02392.JPG (267.8 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Jonnieb2009; Apr 9th, 2010 at 21:26.
Jonnieb2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 14:07   #8
froggyted
Master Member

So are there any particular issues i should be looking for when viewing a used S40? I've heard about the handbrake recall issue, have there been any other recalls i should check out, or are there any common faults i should look out for? I'm looking to get a facelifted model with the i-pod interface, which is believe is fitted from 2007 onwards, is this correct? I will probably go for a 2.0 Diesel automatic. Would i be correct in assuming that this is a Ford engine, and does it have a decent level of reliability?
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 15:04   #9
froggyted
Master Member

.....hmmm, perhaps i've partially answered my own question. I've just had a look at Parkers Guide and i'm gobsmacked by how many recalls the new model S40 has had! Ford's influence perhaps? I'll certainly be asking questions about recall history from my dealer if i buy. (Incidentally, i've had my last two Volvos serviced by MRG Chippenham, and if i decide to buy will probably be looking at what they can offer first. I've found them to be a very honest and reliable dealership. There are quite a few repairs over the years where they've actually charged me less than they initially quoted me).
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 19:18   #10
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggyted View Post
.....hmmm, perhaps i've partially answered my own question. I've just had a look at Parkers Guide and i'm gobsmacked by how many recalls the new model S40 has had! Ford's influence perhaps? I'll certainly be asking questions about recall history from my dealer if i buy. (Incidentally, i've had my last two Volvos serviced by MRG Chippenham, and if i decide to buy will probably be looking at what they can offer first. I've found them to be a very honest and reliable dealership. There are quite a few repairs over the years where they've actually charged me less than they initially quoted me).
My S40 has been the most solid reliable car I've ever owned.

Money spent has been purely wear and tear. 2.0D and 1.6D are Ford/Peugout developed engines.

As long as maintenece is kept up and you allow the engine to reach a proper temperature they'll be fine.
fenton_jd is offline   Reply With Quote