PDA

View Full Version : Steering: 70: - Hot Wheel, & steering wobble- can anyone help?

tinkhams bear
Mar 16th, 2010, 21:37
Hi all,
There are a few teething problems with my '97 V70 AWD which i bought recently,

i was wondering if anyone can give me any help or a diagnosis on any of the following?:

1. Nr.Side front tyre & wheel gets very very warm and disc gets very hot, after doing a 10 mile journey at about 50mph.

2. Every now and again i can feel a vibration through the steering wheel.

3. The ABS TRACS Lights intermittantly stick on, and the only way i can get it off is to turn off engine and start her up again.

4. Juddering / clonking coming from Nr.Side front wheel at about 1500-2000 rpm.

if anybody can help or give a diagnosis or any advice whatsoever, it would be much appreciated!!!

Many Thanks in advance,

T.B :bowwow:

bobbych
Mar 16th, 2010, 21:40
1. Nr.Side front tyre & wheel gets very very warm and disc gets very hot, after doing a 10 mile journey at about 50mph.

your brake is sticking on

your front wheels need balacing or you have a loose suspension joint

3. The ABS TRACS Lights intermittantly stick on, and the only way i can get it off is to turn off engine and start her up again.

could be anything, you will have to pull the codes, when the lights are on

sounds like look suspension prob related to above

Vee70
Mar 17th, 2010, 10:48
I think bobych has offered some good ideas but here's my tuppence worth:

Hi all,
There are a few teething problems with my '97 V70 AWD which i bought recently,

i was wondering if anyone can give me any help or a diagnosis on any of the following?:

As above, caliper seize/not retracting the piston and the pads are stuck on the disc. Once very hot the disc may warp and cause other problems.

I would have said it was related to the 1st issue.

I believe this is a common fault with the ABS control modules. Has to be renewed or sawn open, re-soldered and glued carefully back together.

I doubt the rpm is related to the clonking of a wheel. You could be standing still and get 1500rpm but a clonking might be the suspension top mount or bush when you're on the move. Do you hear it when you're on a smooth road or only over bumps ?

if anybody can help or give a diagnosis or any advice whatsoever, it would be much appreciated!!!

Many Thanks in advance,

T.B :bowwow:

Madhouse
Mar 17th, 2010, 12:03
Yes I'd agree with the above too but MY two peneth with regards to the vibration could well be the disc warping then cools back to 'normal'

I had this on my Saab 9000 due to knackered seals on the caliper causing the brakes to stick, thus hot wheel, and a horrible vibration as the disc must have been warping due to the heat, but would return to normal once I'd slowed down stopped.

Only my experience on the Saab it maybe something else?

(I bought a 2nd hand caliper, refurbed it with a kit, new pads, new discs and all was well)

:thumbs_up:

Merc85
Mar 17th, 2010, 19:55
Seized caliper, and warped disc's, I've sold a lot of calipers for V70's and 850's because of the piston seizing up.

Also had this on my own 1995 850 T5 estate.

t5_andy
Mar 19th, 2010, 13:55
Also just check the nut on the end of the driveshaft is nice and tight, I had one come loose and caused abs light and vibration issues....

The other stuff as has been said is obviously sticking brake caliper.

tinkhams bear
May 14th, 2010, 00:02
Hi all, thanks for your posts,

just an update on some progress with the faults......

Turned out to be the disc and calipur- as one of you said

a result of the brakes sticking- because of the disc and calipur

Not cured- help appreciated!!!!!

4. Juddering / clonking coming from Nr.Side front wheel at about 1500-2000
rpm.
again, now cured after the calipur and discs etc were sorted

ovlov25
May 14th, 2010, 12:01
Your ABS issue will be the usual ABS ECU failure, do a search, it can be repaired DIY if you are handy with a soldering iron.

Chris_Rogers
May 14th, 2010, 18:10
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=72655