Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   S40 V40: CEM Wiring/Repair Information (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=67584)

Dog_Book Mar 11th, 2011 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 860254)
yes , just read your owner's handbook :-)

I have and in a P1 there is no option to do this ;/

Clan Mar 11th, 2011 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dog_Book (Post 860895)
I have and in a P1 there is no option to do this ;/

Sorry , you cant on the early one without cutting wires , after 2000 its simple and in the handbook ..

woodypecker Apr 26th, 2011 18:25

This information has been really useful! I have a V40 2.0T yr 2000 and in the shop they just said one of the two pairs of rear position lights (sorry about my Spanglish!) is not working. They claim this is due to the CEM, and of course offer me a nice replacement for 522 Euros! Do you know if there is also a relay in this CEM that controls those rear lights (there is one pair of lights on the trunk door and another pair on the main body of the car). Thanks!

sebaveh Apr 27th, 2011 09:59

Yes, inside CEM are two (2) relays for position lights.

-One is for inner (on trunk door) and for licence plate illumination.
-One for outer (on car body) and for front position lights (inside headlamp).

But first, check all the fuses, and a cable between trunk door and body. Due to a trunk door open and close, this cable can often break.

sandror9 May 9th, 2011 23:31

which the value of R47, R49, R11 and R122?

jordanfc Jun 21st, 2011 16:14

You are my new hero! Thanks for info hard to get from you kn

Hey, Russel,
thanks for the critical info. even with my background of 30 years in electrical, instrumentation, and electronics, it was really difficult to troubleshoot a system whose engineers are information anal. i hope this doesn't break forum rules re language. i am new to forums. I have replaced engine and trans on my daughters 2000 s40, and have been appalled at the info access difficulties.

Thanks again
ps, re protocols, are the couple of capital letters I put in for emphasis considered bad form? also, is there a way to contribute $$ to forum support? It of course is much cheaper than Vadis subscription, or buying even more bogus Vadis copies! lol :-)

jordanfc Jun 21st, 2011 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell_S (Post 470421)
Hi, I've recently had a headlight problem which, at first, appeared to be the common CEM issue (see this thread http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=67437) but finally turned out to be a break in the wiring loom. However, while fault finding the problem I found out a bit about the CEM which I thought others could find useful in faulfinding their own headlight related issues. I've taken a few pictures to help with this.

I have attached to this thread the Volvo wiring diagram for the CEM and headlights because the Haynes manual is worse than useless in this respect as it doesn't even show the CEM in their wiring diagrams.
I have also attached the data sheet for the Fujitsu relays that are used for the headlight switching in the CEM. I originally assumed that they would be solid state relays but in fact they are normal miniature PCB mounting mechanical relays so it they do fail then the data sheet could help find a replacement to repair the CEM.

Firstly, for those who don't know where the Central Electronics Module (CEM) is situated, here is a picture:
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...EMLocation.jpg

Next we have a picture of the CEM circuit board itself highlighting the headlight relays:
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...MPCBRelays.jpg

and now a picture of the CEM connectors and their pin numbering to go with the attached wiring diagram:
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...Connectors.jpg

Hopefully others will find this information useful as the CEM does appear to be a weak component with respect to headlight switching.

Regards

Russell

Hi again Russel,
would be glad to pay for info, I have scoured the fujitsu database with no replacement relays compatible. no prob if just a relay base, but modifying the volvo cem prob not good idea. have you found replacement from any source?

gatos Jun 21st, 2011 23:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordanfc (Post 931885)
Hi again Russel,
would be glad to pay for info, I have scoured the fujitsu database with no replacement relays compatible. no prob if just a relay base, but modifying the volvo cem prob not good idea. have you found replacement from any source?

The idea of forums is generally to share knowledge for free. Payment would only be considered in cases where actual car parts are sold or sometimes when someone helps someone else to repair something (in most cases it's free too). The best way to pay back here is to offer your brains and ideas here so everyone else can benefit.....

Kim4800 Jun 30th, 2011 16:51

Hey

Does anyone have the schematic for the cem? or knows what component there is on place DA13 and DA12? Mine has fallen off.... and I have to replace the components..

Kim

sebaveh Jun 30th, 2011 17:06

My wild guess - it might be a double diode with common anode? Do you still have it lying inside housing?

Kim4800 Jun 30th, 2011 17:10

Yes only the one. A little black thing in a SOD323 case... And I think that there is printet B3 on it.. I think it is the same as DA15. But I need more to ordre it from a anyone

Kim4800 Jun 30th, 2011 17:18

A BZX399C2V2 from Philips ?

sebaveh Jun 30th, 2011 20:05

Are you sure? Because DA12 and DA13 looks like a SOT-23 package with 3 pins from picture?
In that case they might be 1SS184 or HSM2694 or similiar...
Are any of those three pins short-circuited? Or where they go (if it is possible to track them?) Can you use a multimeter (diode test) and do some measurements?

Kim4800 Jul 1st, 2011 10:23

Now I mesured the chip. It is NOT a HSM2694 since it has a common Anode, but The 1SS184 looks prommising :-) and yes it is the SOT-23 case not SOD323.

I keep working...

Kim4800 Jul 1st, 2011 11:06

I cant get the toshiba diode in denmark, so I try the BAP70-05 insted

Thanks for now.

Mike Aherne Jul 1st, 2011 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by host07 (Post 617903)
Did someone know, which of this is the rear wiper relay?

The left hand one on the CEM. If you put a finger on it and then operate the rear wiper switch you should feel it click if it is working.

Roman62 Aug 23rd, 2011 06:02

Hi,
Is the CEM and ECU one and the same?

I was told by a local Volvo "expert" that the CEM is coded and can only be used on the same car. Is this true?

gatos Aug 23rd, 2011 07:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roman62 (Post 970847)
Hi,
Is the CEM and ECU one and the same?

I was told by a local Volvo "expert" that the CEM is coded and can only be used on the same car. Is this true?

No they are not the same. There seem to be a couple of different model numbers for the ECU on the S40. I have tried the ECU from a 2001 1.6 S40 on my 1.9D and everything was fine.

What exactly are you trying to do?

960kg Aug 23rd, 2011 09:21

...if you can locate the relay in the CEM just replace it you will need a soldering iron!...B2 on the wiring diagram leads to it...all modern relays are available on the internet outlets somewhere you just have to do your own homework..

960kg Aug 23rd, 2011 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by 960kg (Post 970893)
...if you can locate the relay in the CEM just replace it you will need a soldering iron!...B2 on the wiring diagram leads to it...all modern relays are available on the internet outlets somewhere you just have to do your own homework..

.....IGNORE answered wrong thread!!!!

71impala Sep 15th, 2011 16:42

Thanks to all of you who have posted on this site.

Had the same cem problem on my mate's s40.

Bought a relay at RS for a couple of quid, removed the old one from the pcb and soldered in the new one. Lights now all work as good as new and without the horrible expense.

I'm not great with a soldering iron but managed to do this ok by taking a bit of time and going at it gently. No-one should be put off from giving it a go.

Once again Thanks.

Pete.

Buzzvolvo Oct 11th, 2011 20:54

CEM Headlight relay

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell_S (Post 470421)
Hi, I've recently had a headlight problem which, at first, appeared to be the common CEM issue (see this thread http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=67437) but finally turned out to be a break in the wiring loom. However, while fault finding the problem I found out a bit about the CEM which I thought others could find useful in faulfinding their own headlight related issues. I've taken a few pictures to help with this.

I have attached to this thread the Volvo wiring diagram for the CEM and headlights because the Haynes manual is worse than useless in this respect as it doesn't even show the CEM in their wiring diagrams.
I have also attached the data sheet for the Fujitsu relays that are used for the headlight switching in the CEM. I originally assumed that they would be solid state relays but in fact they are normal miniature PCB mounting mechanical relays so it they do fail then the data sheet could help find a replacement to repair the CEM.

Firstly, for those who don't know where the Central Electronics Module (CEM) is situated, here is a picture:
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...EMLocation.jpg

Next we have a picture of the CEM circuit board itself highlighting the headlight relays:
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...MPCBRelays.jpg

and now a picture of the CEM connectors and their pin numbering to go with the attached wiring diagram:
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...Connectors.jpg

Hopefully others will find this information useful as the CEM does appear to be a weak component with respect to headlight switching.

Regards

Russell

Thanks for this detail on the CEM. Headlight relays for Fujitsu are now obsolete but Farnell were able to supply a replacement JSM-12-5 which is an exact fit rated at 15A cost £2 to £3 pounds (downside is Farnell have a minumum order of £20) excellent delivery.

A fairly easy procedure to replace provided you have a soldering iron and a solder sucker.

regards
Buzz

Bogart302 Oct 17th, 2011 17:20

Thanks. Great info.

I'm located in the states and have the US version, but the same info applies.

I also had the problem where the RH dipped beam quit working. I looked up the datasheet for the relay, and was able to "fix" the problem by soldering a jumper wire across the output pins of the two relays, so that now one of the relays (the still working one) controls both of the dipped beams.

If you look at the relay pins on the board, you will see that there are 5 pins on each. 3 with large solder pads, and 2 with smaller pads. I soldered my bridge wire to the one large pad that is located between the two smaller pads on each dipped bean relay. This is the common pin, which (somewhat counterintuitively) is used as the output in this case.

The relays appear to come in 10A and 15A versions. I don't know which is installed on the CEM from the factory. I figure that even if it's the 10A version I am not exceeding the specification by having it drive both bulbs. 55W @ 12V == 4.583A each, or 9.16A for both.

I may still order a replacement relay. I think it's this one (for the 15A version):

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...rds=JSM1-12V-5

sebaveh Oct 17th, 2011 19:33

That is a nice fix, but only for temporary time, if you ask me. The "problem" is that you have one relay for each side, and also one fuse for each relay and light. If you see inside fusebox in engine compartment, you will see two 15 Amp fuses, one for LH and one for RH side. This is done for a safety reason on every car and it is obligatory for every car on earth. Just in case something goes wrong anywhere, and one fuse pops, you will still be left with another light working.

High beams do not need this, and can be wired together on one fuse and/or relay.

My suggestion is, that you buy replacement relay from Farnell or other store, and replace it.

Bogart302 Nov 1st, 2011 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebaveh (Post 1006153)
That is a nice fix, but only for temporary time, if you ask me.

Well it looks like that indeed turned out to be true. My "fix" lasted about 3 days, and then the remaining relay gave out.

I ordered replacement relays from digikey and soldered them in. They were an exact fit, and the lights work normally again now.

My 30-watt iron seemed a bit underpowered for the job. If I were to do it again I would prefer a 40-watt or higher.

daz1978 Dec 2nd, 2011 12:05

Thanks for the info

Hi further to the above diagrams & info, does anyone know if the relays for the headlights (current N/S) are replacable, and how easy is it. I have seen someone post a email address for a supplier, but would like to know the theory behind changingone, before I try.

Thanks for your time.

Darren

Gizmo_V40 Dec 23rd, 2011 17:01

I'd just like to thank those who have posted such useful information on this thread. Both mine headlights were turning on and off randomly, 2 new relays from RS and about an hour to desolder, remove and replace the relays and all is back to normal!

Biotoxic Jan 4th, 2012 09:42

1. Are all phase 2 main beam relays the same spec?
2. Could somebody post a link to ebay or other place where I could get them?

I tried to search that Farnell site for those replacement relays but no success ...

Brian021176 Jan 18th, 2012 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by V40DS (Post 832171)
Hi, thought I would update this thread as the information posted above was a huge help providing me the information needed to repair my CEM. I have a V40DS on a '51 plate and the nearside dipped headlight beam would sometimes work and sometimes not, this had no real pattern whether ignition was on or off. I removed the CEM from the plastic enclosure and plugged it into the car as a bare board and when I found the headlight not on, flicking the corner of the board would force it on everytime. I ordered the above relays (£1.74 plus VAT + Shipping - 2 relays will actually cost you about £9.50 as the shipping is next day at £4.95). Desoldered the old relay and installed the new one and now the headlight is working perfectly.

Thanks again for the help and confirmation this procedure was correct for my circumstances as above.

Picture below shows new relay in the center, darker than the others.

http://i52.tinypic.com/wkpjix.jpg

Thanks i have just ordered two relays i have the same problem with my near side headlight but am going to change the two relays as the other ones bound to go at some point i'll let you know how i get on

kifla Jan 19th, 2012 14:18

Hello, I'm new here.
I am having a problem with my s60 '03 2.4 Black Edition. Sometimes during the driving lights on control board goes off, HL goes off and, if I am not happy, the door were locked so going out of the car becomes PIA. Volvo service told me that is a faulty CEM and they charge cca. 1300€ for replacement.
Does anyone here knows where is the CEM located on S60 - maybe I can try to look at relays - because when those things happens -I can always hear the sounds of relays clicking? Thx.

gatos Jan 19th, 2012 14:21

Try posting in the S60 section:
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19

I am sure someone there will be able to help you. This is the S40/V40 section.

stuhandy Feb 11th, 2012 19:51

Hi there, My CEM has given up the ghost so I will be replacing it. If I use another CEM does it need registering to the car or is it plug and play? Regards Stu.

gatos Feb 11th, 2012 20:09

The CEM should fit on the car as it is with no need for programming. However, certain functions might need programming, ie fog light and rear wiper.

However, if the replacement CEM came from a car with fog lights on it, then you will not have to program it for fog lights. If you have a V40 and the replacement CEM comes from an S40, you will need to program the rear wipers to the CEM. However a V40 CEM will work on an S$) as is.

What car have you got? I have an S40 CEM and Siamblue has a V40 CEM, both with fog lights, so no programming will be needed.

stuhandy Feb 11th, 2012 20:21

Gatos, thanks for the reply. I have a 2002 v40 diesel, fog lights incl.

If I need to programme the new CEM, how is this done?

Iam new to this website

stuhandy Feb 11th, 2012 20:36

Thanks Gatos, I think I would like to keep this as simple as poss. Do you know if Siamblue still has there CEM and would they part with it?

gatos Feb 11th, 2012 22:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuhandy (Post 1091198)
Gatos, thanks for the reply. I have a 2002 v40 diesel, fog lights incl.

If I need to programme the new CEM, how is this done?

Iam new to this website

In that case you will need a CEM from a V40 with fog lights and you will not need any further programming at the dealers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuhandy (Post 1091206)
Thanks Gatos, I think I would like to keep this as simple as poss. Do you know if Siamblue still has there CEM and would they part with it?

Yes he does. I actually have his one at my house house. I will ask him how much he wants for it and he will either reply here or send you a pm

baldmosher Feb 12th, 2012 18:24

Awww, shucks, bad timing.

The new stalk didn't work gatos, so it looks like my CEM after all. Anyone know where to locate the relay for the front windscreen wipers? I notice it's not mentioned on the diagram...?

gatos Feb 12th, 2012 18:39

It is programmed in the CEM, so in one of the relays. So even if you replcaced a relay, you would still have to reprogram it.

I know Siamblue has contacted stuhandy, but I am not sure if they have gone ahead. If not, then you can drop an email to Siamblue about the CEM.

Or if you can't get hold of one, I can lend you a spare CEM I have for an S40 and you can use it temporarily. You will be able to use the front wipers, but not the rear one.

What makes you think that it was the wiper stalk first and now the CEM? Have you checked if the wiper motor is working first? Have you checked to see if a signal goes through to the wiper mechanism? It is better to start with the easiest and cheapest option, before you start spending money on parts you don't need.

baldmosher Feb 12th, 2012 18:40

I have intermittent wipe. Just no single/on/fast/wash function. Washer motor works off the car.

What else could it be?

gatos Feb 12th, 2012 18:50

Oh ok. Then that would probably be the CEM. PM Siamblue if you want and see what he says about his CEM. He has one move CEM but he might need it to transfer the Xenon lights from one car to the other. We are both not sure if the CEM comes into play to the Xenon self levelling, so we will be finding out in the near future. Then he will have one more CEM available.