Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   S40 V40: CEM Wiring/Repair Information (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=67584)

pierremcalpine Nov 8th, 2016 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Soap (Post 2169614)
Thank you to all the users who posted really helpful information, links and photos. I recently bought a V40 with a non-working left low beam. The bulb worked when tested so an online search lead me here.

Time was against me as I had my NCT (Irish roadworthiness test) booked and would have been charged a fee to alter the booking.

I thought I'd try the easy repair first before ordering new relays. I disassembled the CEM in the car (with the battery disconnected), located the correct relay, drilled a small hole in the lid, squirted a small amount of WD40 in, left it to soak for an hour. It worked, and I now have two working headlights. It may only be a short term fix but it's good to know where to get new relays if I need them.

The car passed it's roadworthiness test, so thanks again to all the helpful users who posted.:thumbs_up:

(Other work required was replacing a water damaged side impact sensor and clearing the SRS faults, one ball joint which required a new wishbone as some 'genius' had welded the old ball joint in, and two rear brake lines due to corrosion around the fuel tank area.)

That's a clever idea with little to no downside (except some time spent getting to the CEM, no biggy). Just out of curiosity, why WD40?

FunniFir Nov 29th, 2016 07:40

How tp open the plastic cover to the cem box?

[QUOTE=Russell_S;470421]Hi, I've recently had a headlight problem which, at first, appeared to be the common CEM issue (see this thread http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=67437) but finally turned out to be a break in the wiring loom. However, while fault finding the problem I found out a bit about the CEM which I thought others could find useful in faulfinding their own headlight related issues. I've taken a few pictures to help with this.

I have attached to this thread the Volvo wiring diagram for the CEM and headlights because the Haynes manual is worse than useless in this respect as it doesn't even show the CEM in their wiring diagrams.
I have also attached the data sheet for the Fujitsu relays that are used for the headlight switching in the CEM. I originally assumed that they would be solid state relays but in fact they are normal miniature PCB mounting mechanical relays so it they do fail then the data sheet could help find a replacement to repair the CEM.

How did you open the plastic box to the cem unit? i have tried but i could not get it open :/ and how do you replace the relays?

pierremcalpine Nov 29th, 2016 13:42

[QUOTE=FunniFir;2202160]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell_S (Post 470421)

How did you open the plastic box to the cem unit? i have tried but i could not get it open :/ and how do you replace the relays?

There is a single screw that you need to take out in addition to the clips on the side. For me, the screw was hidden under the sticker on the CEM cover.

Joe Soap Jan 9th, 2017 17:35

Apologies for the delay is responding guys, I wasn't getting notifications on this thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muckeroja (Post 2185861)
Hello just wonder the year of your car mate? thank you Paul

It's a 2003 1.8 petrol, just getting run it with 150k miles on it. Still getting mid 30s MPG.

Quote:

Originally Posted by canis (Post 2185941)
Never heard of this trick before. I'll be sure to keep it in mind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierremcalpine (Post 2192419)
That's a clever idea with little to no downside (except some time spent getting to the CEM, no biggy). Just out of curiosity, why WD40?

Ye, it was the below post from earlier in the thread that gave me the idea, I just said I'd give it a try as an easier/cheaper first fix attempt rather than getting the soldering iron out. WD40 was just what I had to hand, any penetrating oil should work. Just to update, I've since done about 3K miles in it and the lights are still working fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thethompa (Post 1494958)
Hello.
I had this problem with my right low beam not working. After reading this Most helpfull thread i removed and opened the CEM on my V40-03 2,0T.
I located the relay for right low beam from earlier posts here, drilled VERY GENTLE a 3mm in the plastic cover over the relay, filled it with "oxide remover". Let the remover do its work for ½hour, put the CEM in to the car again...and Yes there was light! If/when the problem comes back i will buy a pair of new relay and change them.
Thanks again for a very helpfull thread!

Quote:

Originally Posted by FunniFir (Post 2202160)

It's a delicate job of trying to unclip the clips while stopping them cliping in again as you work your way around. I used two screwdrivers and must admit I cracked two of the plastic clips, but the CEM still went back together fine.

LPR Feb 2nd, 2017 16:58

Any alternative for main beam relay?

Worms Feb 2nd, 2017 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by LPR (Post 2230354)
Any alternative for main beam relay?

I'm not sure what you mean by alternative? I've just bought some replacements from RS Components. Ordered online, their part number 3998360, pack of 5, delivered came to £12.68 and arrived next day.

I replaced the faulty one, which now works, but in doing so, it looks like I have upset the working one, so I will need to go back in and either resolder or replace the second one.

EDIT: Looks like you are in Finland, so my suggestion of RS Components might not be that useful - although I think they do accept overseas orders, there is bound to be an equivalent locally that will sell you relays. If you look up the RS Components website and that part number, you should find the specification details of the relay.

LPR Feb 2nd, 2017 19:10

In picture there is dipped and main beam relays, is this 3998360 for main or dipped?

Worms Feb 2nd, 2017 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by LPR (Post 2230419)
In picture there is dipped and main beam relays, is this 3998360 for main or dipped?

Sorry you are correct, mine was for dipped.

LPR Feb 12th, 2017 10:20

I have only parking lights, no dipped, no main beam.
I do herar click from cem with new relays for dipped lights, so I guess light switch is ok.
Also main beam blue light is gloving constantly if I turn light switch to daylight or lights on position. Main beam switch does do notihing.

Any ideas?

canis Feb 12th, 2017 20:35

Check fuse 12 in the interior fuse box.

LPR Feb 14th, 2017 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by LPR (Post 2234752)
I have only parking lights, no dipped, no main beam.
I do herar click from cem with new relays for dipped lights, so I guess light switch is ok.
Also main beam blue light is gloving constantly if I turn light switch to daylight or lights on position. Main beam switch does do notihing.

Any ideas?

It was stupid burned ground connection. Blue light and non clicking main beam relay mislead me
Lesson: loose or lost grounding can make stange things.

molemot Jun 5th, 2017 12:42

Once again, this forum sorts it out....I'd lost the LH dip beam...bulb was OK...so I looked here! Instant diagnosis; ordered a new relay from Poland(!), then took out the module and had a happy time regressing to one of my old persona...electronics technician. Removed the relay and replaced it with new and all was well. A bit fiddly if you haven't done this stuff before, but what a cost effective fix!!! Many thanks to Russell S.....

JaniP Aug 10th, 2017 17:51

Same here!
Paid 5€ for parts repairing 600€ new part (CEM modul)!

Big Thanks to all smart and willing to help people on this forum!

Andy256 Aug 29th, 2017 09:26

Quote:

Hi, I've recently had a headlight problem which, at first, appeared to be the common CEM issue (see this thread http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=67437) but finally turned out to be a break in the wiring loom. However, while fault finding the problem I found out a bit about the CEM which I thought others could find useful in faulfinding their own headlight related issues. I've taken a few pictures to help with this.

I have attached to this thread the Volvo wiring diagram for the CEM and headlights because the Haynes manual is worse than useless in this respect as it doesn't even show the CEM in their wiring diagrams.
I have also attached the data sheet for the Fujitsu relays that are used for the headlight switching in the CEM. I originally assumed that they would be solid state relays but in fact they are normal miniature PCB mounting mechanical relays so it they do fail then the data sheet could help find a replacement to repair the CEM.

Firstly, for those who don't know where the Central Electronics Module (CEM) is situated, here is a picture:
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...EMLocation.jpg

Next we have a picture of the CEM circuit board itself highlighting the headlight relays:
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...MPCBRelays.jpg

and now a picture of the CEM connectors and their pin numbering to go with the attached wiring diagram:
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...Connectors.jpg

Hopefully others will find this information useful as the CEM does appear to be a weak component with respect to headlight switching.

Regards

Russell

Hi although I'm a member of this site I still can't see those photos, can you please repost them , thanks Andy

S40wolf Oct 25th, 2017 09:06

Hi does anyone know where the boot light on S40 2003 get it's power from as I want to run separate wire because the boot lid wireing loom is plàying up when moved so think I might have a broken wire inside

gatos Oct 25th, 2017 15:40

Wiring diagram here: http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/dow...03_S40_V40.pdf

aldred309uk Jun 27th, 2018 18:25

Does anyone know where I could source 2 dipped beam relays from? I've tried searching the code on the relay on eBay to no avail and wouldn't know where to start when trying to find one elsewhere.

P1CN012W1

Many thanks, Adrian.

Clan Jun 27th, 2018 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by aldred309uk (Post 2419127)
Does anyone know where I could source 2 dipped beam relays from? I've tried searching the code on the relay on eBay to no avail and wouldn't know where to start when trying to find one elsewhere.

P1CN012W1

Many thanks, Adrian.

Radiospares/Farnell will have one if you have a pattern , They should be easy to obtain elsewhere too .

aldred309uk Jun 27th, 2018 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2419185)
Radiospares/Farnell will have one if you have a pattern , They should be easy to obtain elsewhere too .

There's a place called CPC Farnell near me in Preston which I was considering trying as second in my list tomorrow, an auto electrician is willing to do the replacement for me should I source the part.

That's for the tip!

aldred309uk Jul 3rd, 2018 13:41

To anyone looking for relays to replace your old ones, the original relay (P1CN012W1) has been discontinued and is tricky to find. I purchased my relays from RS components for £2 each. The relays I bought are made by Panasonic and it comes up as (JSM1-12V-5) and they have worked on my car.

baldmosher Jul 4th, 2018 21:43

Yep, I've still got 2 spare if anyone needs one.

WORLDCOM11 Aug 20th, 2018 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierremcalpine (Post 2192419)

Great information in this thread, thank you all!

I had the same issue, no left hand low beam headlights on my recently acquired 03 S40. Replaced new bulb and new fuse and tried this "drill a hole + wd40 quick fix" but no luck. Also tried CRC O2 sensor cleaners and still no light. I guess I have no choice but to solder in new relays?

gatos Aug 20th, 2018 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by WORLDCOM11 (Post 2439465)
Great information in this thread, thank you all!

I had the same issue, no left hand low beam headlights on my recently acquired 03 S40. Replaced new bulb and new fuse and tried this "drill a hole + wd40 quick fix" but no luck. Also tried CRC O2 sensor cleaners and still no light. I guess I have no choice but to solder in new relays?

The WD40 trick may work if the internal contacts are just sticking a bit and the relay is in the early stages of failing. When the relay gets worse and worse, some of the internal contacts get slightly burnt and there will be no current flow, no matter what you try. I have refurbished over a 100 CEMs until now and I have taken all the old relays apart to check where the damage is and what was causing them to stop working. Anyway, new relays are cheap as chips and they are way much more better built than the cheapy original ones

mullibuda Oct 13th, 2018 15:01

hi just to say thank you, what a fantastic fix. two relays from rs 20 mins start to finish getting old ones out a pain no special tools needed fantastic :teeth_smile:

rudi dudi Oct 18th, 2018 20:38

Quote:

Hi, I've recently had a headlight problem which, at first, appeared to be the common CEM issue (see this thread http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=67437) but finally turned out to be a break in the wiring loom. However, while fault finding the problem I found out a bit about the CEM which I thought others could find useful in faulfinding their own headlight related issues. I've taken a few pictures to help with this.

Firstly, for those who don't know where the Central Electronics Module (CEM) is situated, here is a picture:
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...EMLocation.jpg

Next we have a picture of the CEM circuit board itself highlighting the headlight relays:
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...MPCBRelays.jpg

and now a picture of the CEM connectors and their pin numbering to go with the attached wiring diagram:
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...Connectors.jpg

Hopefully others will find this information useful as the CEM does appear to be a weak component with respect to headlight switching.

Regards

Russell

Does anyone know what the other 2 relays not marked up on the left hand side of the module control

gatos Oct 19th, 2018 00:32

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/attac...1&d=1539905483

1 Rear window wiper (P1CN012W1)
2 Windshield wiper (P1CN012W1)
3 Main Beams (NH010/01AY)
4 Left dipped beam (P1CN012W1)
5 Right dipped beam (P1CN012W1)
6 Parking light (P3CN012W1)
7 Rear and side marker lights (P3CN012W1)
8 Front fog lamp (56ND12-W1)
9 Rear fog lamp (P3CN012W1)

teotodorov Jan 14th, 2019 07:53

I would love to be able to download Pdf's on CEM headlight and front beam relays but am unable to do so any suggestions. when I click the pdf's I just get a blank page and nothing else.
Thanks

Teodor Todorov
teotodorov@yahoo.com

HannuKoo Jan 17th, 2019 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by teotodorov (Post 2484768)
I would love to be able to download Pdf's on CEM headlight and front beam relays but am unable to do so any suggestions. when I click the pdf's I just get a blank page and nothing else.
Thanks

Teodor Todorov
teotodorov@yahoo.com

same here!:omg_smile:

alextw Feb 8th, 2019 21:56

Me as well

Quote:

Originally Posted by HannuKoo (Post 2485795)
same here!:omg_smile:

Guys seriously, post is great but pdfs are undownloadable... Please upload to a reliable server

WhiskeyVolvo Feb 11th, 2019 18:59

Fog Light Hell

I appreciate the thread and I'm hoping that I could just get some questions confirmed or clarified. :confused_smile: I have a 2002 s40 that did not come with factory fog lights. After purchasing OEM fog lights and a OEM headlight/fog light switch, I later found out that the CEM needs to be programmed to enable the fog lights. I have read through the thread fully and from what I can see, I can buy a CEM that already has these enabled OR I can have them enabled in my CEM for a hefty price from the dealership. Correct? :thinking: If I do purchase a CEM that is already enabled, are the part numbers the same over here in the US?

Is it possible to just bypass the CEM all together with my own relay and have it wired to the OEM fog light switch? I'm trying to make it look as factory as possible and avoiding an ugly rocker switch mounted under the dash. :Not_Impressed:
I appreciate any help. Thank you!

airpassion Feb 17th, 2019 17:53

CEM Wiring/Repair Information

2 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone,
From Belgium, to thank you for the information published on the forum. Thanks to this information, I was able to repair the CEM by replacing one of the two dipped beam relays.
It works, the work is not very easy and requires patience.
But my 2004 V40 with 341,000km, can ride now at night .... Thanks Alan

Shug Feb 17th, 2019 18:15

Brilliant, well done. Future reference tho, if you replaced one, sometimes easier to swap both out with new ones. Unless it’s only me the second one fails within a week.

aldred309uk Feb 17th, 2019 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shug (Post 2496494)
Brilliant, well done. Future reference tho, if you replaced one, sometimes easier to swap both out with new ones. Unless it’s only me the second one fails within a week.

I changed both of mine, one had failed and the second one was bulging like the failed one, probably due to fail shortly afterwards. One year and no issues for me yet!

VolvoVXL Apr 28th, 2019 09:56

Cem

I greatly appreciate your post.
I purchased the Haynes book, and I am very disappointed, in the past I got a BMW Motorcycle book from Haynes, and that one is very detailed.
I knew there had to be some relays for the low beams, and by google I found there was a mention of a CEM....but I could not find the location in the car.
Your pictures above gave me hope...but again, I was confused as it shows right above the gas pedal...in my car is on the extreme left of the dashboard....I realized that you show the British car (I am in the U.S.)... I am happy I found this forum. I find that in the UK you care more for your vehicles. Thank you.

pierremcalpine Apr 30th, 2019 12:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shug (Post 2496494)

My second one failed a year later.

Supprezz Jun 30th, 2019 17:27

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by aldred309uk (Post 2421202)
To anyone looking for relays to replace your old ones, the original relay (P1CN012W1) has been discontinued and is tricky to find. I purchased my relays from RS components for £2 each. The relays I bought are made by Panasonic and it comes up as (JSM1-12V-5) and they have worked on my car.

My dipped beam is out with a good bulb, I suspect the relay.

The P1CN012W1 is a very special animal. High inrush current rating (30A) low coil current (50mA 12V/233Ohm), small size 22x17x17mm, unusual 5 pin layout, Form C.

Tough to find a good substitute. Fujitsu is not making a direct substitute.
I'm thinking the whole design is a folly, judging by their recent offerings in automotive headlight relays.
Zettler AC943 has the same pin-out but less current rating. This may be OK if you can accept a shorter cycle life. If changing to LED headlight is an option then it would be OK. Same goes for the above suggestion.
Incandescent inrush current can be 10x the average current, may cause contact-erosion or -welding.

I'm thinking of remoting the relay(s) to a typical socketed automotive relay. Design wise, putting mechanical relays on a board is a bit "optimistic". Those harness contacts and PCB traces aren't very beefy.
The heat generated from those five relay coils is not going to help the reliability of the semiconductors on the board.

Redr0cket Jul 2nd, 2019 21:37

Hi all. This thread is extremely useful. Recently I had both dipped beams just fail on me, with all other lights working OK. I got hold of a used CEM with the same part number and fitted it; however, it isn't working properly. Dipped beams and side lights come on together when you turn the ignition, and on the internal light switch, when the side lights are on, the light indicator on the switch goes out, and when you turn the light switch off the indicator lights up...if that makes sense. Anyway, it would at least appear to confirm that it is indeed a CEM issues as the dipped headlights work!

In another thread, a helpful member said the "VIN" would be wrong even if I get a straight swap for a working CEM. In this thread though, swapping them out seems to be a generally accepted practice. My question is, is there actually any issue at all with swapping them for a CEM that is the same part number?

I have also seen people have unsoldered and soldered new relays for the dipped beam. This is tempting, but I haven't soldered since I was about 12 years old in the school electronics club 🤣 can someone confirm exactly what I will need for this - aside from a soldering iron and solder, please? Any specific iron, too?

Furthermore, does someone have a link for the exact relays that would work?

I have a 2003 V40 Sport 2.0 petrol engine.

The part number of the CEM in there at the minute, and that was working fine, until.recently, is 30621305.

Thank you for any help. It's much appreciated.

cat2k1 Jul 3rd, 2019 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by viavan (Post 572682)
Thanks for the post, headlight dip light doesn't work. trace the problem back to one of the relay in the CEM, VOLVO quote 400 plus for the whole CEM unit. Scrap yard 50 pounds. But you can also buy the Fujitsu relay as a component from sales@inelcohunter.co.uk. not too sure how much each relay cost, because i managed to repair the faulty relay (due to dry joint).

Which relay was it that needed fixing so that I can look it up in the company that you recommended for selling relays? Can you post picture too? I'm after relay for o/s/f indicator as mine has stopped working. Everything in lighting works just not o/s/f indicator.