Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Engine: TD: Phase 1 v70 tdi cambelt doth snappeth (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=304420)

BigMonty Mar 10th, 2020 14:30

Phase 1 v70 tdi cambelt doth snappeth

Long story, but the cambelt has snapped on my v70 tdi.
Seems to have bent a few valves and snapped the camshaft.
Any recommendations where I can get the bits? Second hand head complete or new parts? Upgrade?
Prices seem to range dramatically.

Advice please my good people.

amazondean Mar 10th, 2020 15:58

there is one thing for sure, these 850 and v70 diesels are getting thin on the ground now. If you feel it is going to be too expensive to rebuild, or can't find the bits, I have a 1997 v70 tdi cd which will be coming on to the market soon. let me know if you might be interested. There is no hurry, as I will need it for at least another Month.

Thanks Dean

rudi dudi Mar 10th, 2020 20:21

No real right or wrong answer here.
You don't say what your budget,miles on your current engine or your mechanical ability in your post.
There are a few used heads on Ebay from £150 upwards.
There's even a complete engine with all ancillaries for £300.
Id personally more than likely rebuild the head myself if it happened to me.
Biggest lesson here though is stay on top of timing belt replacement and avoid this situation.
Change the waterpump aswell with all tensioners!

BigMonty Mar 10th, 2020 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by rudi dudi (Post 2608611)
No real right or wrong answer here.
You don't say what your budget,miles on your current engine or your mechanical ability in your post.
There are a few used heads on Ebay from £150 upwards.
There's even a complete engine with all ancillaries for £300.
Id personally more than likely rebuild the head myself if it happened to me.
Biggest lesson here though is stay on top of timing belt replacement and avoid this situation.
Change the waterpump aswell with all tensioners!

It has done 200k with full volvo history. Had the cam belt done at a garage 100 miles ago. Faulty water pump caused the failure. The garage ( who I have used for 20 years) has adequately compensated me. The car itself stands me at nothing now,.
I have ( with some adult supervision) stripped the head off etc etc, it is now ready to source the parts and put back together. Was just wondering where to go ( budget is sensible).

BigMonty Mar 10th, 2020 21:09

I see prices on ebay from about £100.
Euro car parts have them from about £140. Then I see them for about £400, I know in a lot of cases you get what you pay for.
A Gates cam belt kit is already on the way as are all required gaskets. Just the camshaft and valves I require

PNuT Mar 11th, 2020 03:03

I have a complete engine if interested.....

Martin Cox Mar 12th, 2020 09:32

I feel your pain, particularly when you've been prudent and had the belt replaced in good time.

When the cambelt failed on my 1998 V70 Tdi,(within time and mileage I might add) I too suffered a couple of bent valves and a stuck cam follower but the camshaft remained intact. Not having the kit or experience to remove the stuck follower I took the head to a local engine reconditioning workshop and let them sort it out.

For about £250 they did a first class job which included sorting out the valves, removing the stuck follower and supplying a new set of cam followers, a new Elring head gasket and a new set of cylinder head bolts. The head looked as if it were brand-new.

If you have an engine reconditioning workshop in your vicinity it may be worth asking them.

When I put it all back together I did replace the water pump but used a genuine Volvo one although there were no signs of wear in the old one.

I hope you manage to get it sorted. These cars are getting quite rare now.

Martin 1998 V70 Tdi auto 226,000 miles

tdidave Mar 21st, 2020 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMonty (Post 2608627)
It has done 200k with full volvo history. Had the cam belt done at a garage 100 miles ago. Faulty water pump caused the failure. The garage ( who I have used for 20 years) has adequately compensated me. The car itself stands me at nothing now,.
I have ( with some adult supervision) stripped the head off etc etc, it is now ready to source the parts and put back together. Was just wondering where to go ( budget is sensible).

Been there Monty.. twice.. :eek:

Read this horror story.. https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=85720

Recovered though. Everything's possible.

Question.. have you sourced your parts yet? If not, when I get a minute I'll see if I can look back through my records for the parts I bought..

Dave.. :thumbs_up:

BigMonty Mar 21st, 2020 14:09

Hi Dave,
Been hellish busy so haven't had time yet.
I have a new cam belt kit and all the gasket kits. Just need the cam, followers and valves. Was going to buy a complete engine, but they seem too far away to be practical so far.

Monty

BigMonty Jun 19th, 2020 22:27

Just to update.
I decided to buy a full engine from a splendid gentleman on this forum. Swapped the heads over, and of course all gaskets, belts and head bolts.
We are all back together. Local mobile mechanic here in the morning to inspect and time it up perfectly.
Should be on the road very very shorty