Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine wrecked by seized water/pump.

Views : 6786

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 13th, 2009, 10:19   #1
tdidave
V70 TDi CD

Thumbs down Engine wrecked by seized water/pump.

I'll start this thread with a WARNING : When you change your cam-belt, make sure you change the water/pump too.

I didn't, and now have a totally wrecked engine. Happened while traveling on the main A30 across Bodmin Moor, Cornwall. Doing 75/80 on the dual-carriageway. No warning...Bang! Managed to get the car towed home, and when I carried out an inspection found that the water pump had seized and shredded the cam-belt....

Damage : Camshaft broken into 5 pieces, Fuel pump belt bust too & Fuel pump is now jammed solid, 4 bent valves and serious denting in the top of pistons. Don't know if it's sustained any con-rod or small/big end damage. Don't think I'll bother to look.

I've had my V70 Tdi CD Estate a couple of years now, and have loved the car. Few niggles but not much else. I had all the belts/pulleys etc changed about 18 months ago, as I wanted to be sure they had been done in my ownership. But anyway, as can be seen from above, the water/pump wasn't changed.

The dilemma now, is do I change the engine or scrap the car. She's a 1998 wagon in good condition. Time is tight, and money. Am fishing around at the moment for another D5252T unit. Have any of you guy's actually changed one of these engines. It looks a horrendous task, requiring rubber arms and spanners. Would really appreciate a bit of advice on the removal of the engine, as it looks like it's not going to be a 5 minute job.

Best Regards Dave....
tdidave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2009, 10:29   #2
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Sorry to hear that Dave. Its of no consolation to you, but I've always replaced the water pump and tensioner when doing the cambelt - I had a belt snap on a Capri which amazingly did no damage at all - but gave me a serious warning that I've never forgotten.

Regarding the engine swap, it all comes down to how good the rest of the car is. If you're attached to it, then an engine swap will be the way to go, but if not, it may be cheaper looking for another similar car, swapping over the good bits from yours and then selling off whats left? Just a thought. It takes time and space though - and good weather if you don't have access to a garage!

Good luck.
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2009, 10:41   #3
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Seen one of these engines on ebay this morning for £150, 101k on it, might be worth a punt. Just bought one of these cars myself (S70), hopefully I haven't bought problems, seems they aren't too good an engine....

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2009, 10:50   #4
tdidave
V70 TDi CD

Thanks for that Thunder...

I guess it's the usual dillema, especially being stuck down here in Cornwall. I've been looking at similar cars on the web, and they seem to range from £1,750/£2,500. All way out of Cornwall though.

I think if I can pick up another unit for about £500 max, I'll try to change the engine. But it ain't gonna be easy. The car's outside in the open, and it's winter. The car is in good nick though, so I'm loathe to just scrap it.

It's just that it looks such a complicated lump to get out. That's why I was asking if anybody had removed one of these TDi units. Any short-cuts would be more than gratefully received....that's if there are any?

Best Regards Dave.....
Old Dec 13th, 2009, 10:58   #5
tdidave
V70 TDi CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NI_Volvo_Nut View Post
Seen one of these engines on ebay this morning for £150, 101k on it, might be worth a punt. Just bought one of these cars myself (S70), hopefully I haven't bought problems, seems they aren't too good an engine....
Yeah...it's funny you should say that. I saw it last night. Seems he's advertising the gearbox but showing a pic of the engine. I've emailed him though, and am awaiting a reply.

As for your S70, I wouldn't worry too much. I think overall they are a damn good motor. Mine had done 200+ K and was still going strong until this happened.

Best Regards Dave....
The Following User Says Thank You to tdidave For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2009, 10:59   #6
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Having changed belts ect on mine at the weekend, I think once you remove some of the bolt on bits (Manifolds, alternator ect) I think you'll find it doesn't look such a big job, although granted not something I'd want to be battling the elements trying to do. If I were doing it, I'd remove engine and gearbox as one unit, possibly even remove front panel, bumper ect so you've better access to the unit and don't have to lift as high to remove. Although this is only me thinking out loud so to speak.

Old Dec 13th, 2009, 11:08   #7
tdidave
V70 TDi CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NI_Volvo_Nut View Post
Having changed belts ect on mine at the weekend, I think once you remove some of the bolt on bits (Manifolds, alternator ect) I think you'll find it doesn't look such a big job, although granted not something I'd want to be battling the elements trying to do. If I were doing it, I'd remove engine and gearbox as one unit, possibly even remove front panel, bumper ect so you've better access to the unit and don't have to lift as high to remove. Although this is only me thinking out loud so to speak.
I'm having one more cup of coffee in the warm....and then I'm gonna brave it again. Think your probably right about removing all the ancillaries and the front panel/bumper etc. I was thinking that yesterday, so will grit my teeth and lay myself down in the mud. Car's on a mates farm.

It probably won't look so bad when I've stripped off all the bits, and I can actually see what I'm doing....

Dave...
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 23:53   #8
tdidave
V70 TDi CD

Well, I've had a couple of days in the freezing cold stripping off the engine ancillaries in preparation to remove the D5252T engine.

I must say, that as much as I love this car, this is a true example of an engine not built for the car being squeezed in. Brackets and bolt heads that are impossible to get at abound. Still, I'll get there. I would have prefered to just remove the engine, but it looks like both units will have to come out. I'm hoping that I'll be able to remove engine and box together, looks really tight though. Will take some pics and post.

Have managed to track down another engine that will hopefully arrive this week. Happy Christmas to me eh!!!!
Old Dec 15th, 2009, 05:59   #9
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

At least you got an engine, don't seem to be to plentyful and engine, so maybe thats some good luck in a strange way lol

Def remove engine and box together, more hassle than its worth trying to mount the gearbox to the engine again when its back in place, only extra work is removing the drive shafts really.

The Following User Says Thank You to NI_Volvo_Nut For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 15th, 2009, 08:55   #10
tdidave
V70 TDi CD

Must admit, It was the drive shaft removal that was putting me off taking the gearbox out too. The conditions I'm working in were colouring my judgement I think...

As for the replacement D5252T unit. I'm hoping I've got lucky, will know more when it arrives. Here's the interesting bit though. The lump has done 71,000 and came from an immaculate V70, nothing at all wrong with it......came in on the Government Scrappage Scheme.... Oh to be in a position to just scrap an immaculate V70 Tdi eh!

My old Turquoise 850 TDi GLT & my present Garnet Red V70 TDi CD

My 1998 V70 TDi CD : http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/album.php?albumid=654