Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Sep 23rd, 2020, 14:55   #1739
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Going for the most relevant points first Alan, the Skandix listing confirms the part number i found (1254057) so it would also seem the SGS struts i found would also work at a considerably cheaper cost.

With the fixings, the chewed silver fixing on one end looks suspiciously like there should have been a star washer on there originally and it was lost so a piece of aluminium was drilled to fit then folded to hold it on there.

The other end that looks like a cheesehead cap screw also appears to have two blobs of weld holding it in if you enlarge the photo. Might pay to investigate these possibilities and invest in new mounting hardware at the same time.

Failing that, bungee cords! I'm not sure if it would apply to the Volvo but on my Rover, the original method of bootlid elevation was a long expansion spring both sides. This hooked onto the hinge in a similar position to where the gas spring was fitted and the other end of the spring was behind the tail lights When mine went weak i fed a bungee cord through each spring and hooked the ends on so the bungees worked inside, in tandem with, the original springs.

Not sure i'd want to even consider drilling into a gas spring, the pressures are incredibly high in there because it's such a small area. To give you an idea, i recently worked out that a 60mm diameter surface would support ~50kg with only 23psi but factor in the different load of the bood lid and that it's effectively a lever pushing back against the gas spring, it needs to be about 10 times as strong. With a much smaller effective area (perhaps 1/2 sq inch) the pressure again needs to be higher. Even though they're weak now, they still support the boot lid - just. That means there's still a very high pressure in there.
Thanks Dave,

It is always good to get a second opinion.

I think you are right about the part #, the Skandix item confirms it so the SGS 260 parts should fit.

I may end up grinding or drilling off the fixings, I still can't quite see how they come apart (but they do look like factory fixings because they are identical both sides). No matter, it would be a simple matter to re-attach them with ordinary shanked bolts. Access is a bit limited, I'll get my endoscope out sometime and have a look at what is on the other side of those two fixings.

Giving the existing springs a bit of assistance with a bit of bungee cord might be a good idea Dave - the gas struts push rather than pull, so I'd have to think of some sort of mechanism.

The Schrader valve idea probably was a bit too 'mad professor' :-)

Last edited by Othen; Sep 23rd, 2020 at 15:04.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: