Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tinted Windows

Views : 3230

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 20:10   #21
red sled

i have just spen 2 days tinting the windows in my new ralley vehicle (a B57 volvo) and i have used 5% film on all but the 2 front side windows and front door, on these i used 35% film
i have also added a stripe to both the top and bottom 6" of the windscreens to stop a lot of the road glare ( not a big prob for you guys in england)
local coppers only take a dim view due to the fact that they cant see who or whats happening inside , and i told them thats the reason for it

they cant book you for not wearing a seat belt if they cant see you at all , was what i was told
also when its 45 deg in the shade the tint helps keep the heat down a bit

the rules here state that both exterior mirrors must be visable through no more than 35 % tint that allows a car to have 2 wing mounted mirrors and all 5% tint , thats wrong as far as im concerned as at night the side visability should be max. vis

i was also told i had bugger all rear vis due to tint
i said get stuffed
its 40 ft to the back window so i use a camera and lcd screen
he booked me for having a tv in my line of sight ( reversing camera)
i am fighting that one in court and look like winning

im interested in hearing about any simular experiances regarding rev camera's lcd screens , dvd players
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 20:53   #22
PEGE63
Master Member

There might be an insurance issue aswell, read somewhere that a car owner declared that he had tinted windows and the premium went up as 'crooks might break in as they can not see that the car is empty'. I have a very dark 'limo' tint on my 940 (gosh its dark) but only on rear doors and boot (sides only). Did not do the rear door as I realised I would not see out when reversing and the only reason was to keep the car and kids cool as I have no aircon. Wife moaned no end as it looks like a 'gangsters car' UNTIL she forgot to lock the damn car one day and left her handbag on the back seat. As no-one could see it no-one entered the car so now I have no more moans from her....

V70 D5 (185) SE Sport, Geartronic, 58 MY08 4C. 133k
(before Avensis 55 95K, P97 945 LPT 2.3FK 113K and J92 945 2.0T 165K)
PEGE63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 21:06   #23
imac
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEGE63
There might be an insurance issue aswell, read somewhere that a car owner declared that he had tinted windows and the premium went up as 'crooks might break in as they can not see that the car is empty'. I have a very dark 'limo' tint on my 940 (gosh its dark) but only on rear doors and boot (sides only). Did not do the rear door as I realised I would not see out when reversing and the only reason was to keep the car and kids cool as I have no aircon. Wife moaned no end as it looks like a 'gangsters car' UNTIL she forgot to lock the damn car one day and left her handbag on the back seat. As no-one could see it no-one entered the car so now I have no more moans from her....
I had a very dark tint on the back of my last 850 estate, not quite limo tint, but it was nearly there, and the visibility outwards was fine - at night it was a bit less so, but still not so bad!
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 13:32   #24
AdamMarsden

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishvolvo
Just to play devils advocate, what difference is there between, say, a Fiat Punto car with blacked out rear screen and rear side windows to a Fiat Punto van.
there is no difference. with a car you ARE allowed to fully (100%) black out the rear windows. as long as you have both wing mirrors......
AdamMarsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 18:23   #25
740Estate
Undercover 740

Was considering the subject of tinting out the rear of the Volvo earlier with the missus.
Just bought one of those multi-screen DVD players for the kids to watch. It's an embuggerance to remove the screens every time we park up to be honest so reckon tinting the back out is the way forward.

Any recommendations for window tint film? Where's the best place to buy it from or have it fitted?
-- Harry Carpenter, BBC TV, Boat Race 1977.
------------------------------------------------
Slidin' it round past the apex of reality
740Estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 08:16   #26
johnjp
Master Member

Default tints

screwfix direct do a roll of blackout, 750mm x 1500mm, for only £7:99. You`d probably need 3 or 4 for an estate but a helluva lot cheaper than pro` jobs.
johnjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 09:18   #27
octo0072000

Talking Re tint and private hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark S60
See Here

And Here

Quote Pentagon Supaglass - "This will effectively ban virtually all tinted films fitted to windows forward of the B-Post on any vehicle that is to be driven on UK roads."

However, my "tinted front door windows" Alhambra passes it's strict Private Hire Licensing MOT as the authorised MOT Test Centre, when I openly queried the legality of the tints, replied - "They are unaware of any new regulations"

Ho hum!

I won't be tinting my next Alhambra though and re the new laws our S60 has had only the rear screen tinted.

In doncaster your Alhambra would fail the councill test even factory dark tints are not allowed and privicy glass in rear is a no no cost 1 operater £4000 to have glass changed in a voyager he had bought

octo0072000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 09:38   #28
octo0072000

Talking re dvd screens

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740Estate
Was considering the subject of tinting out the rear of the Volvo earlier with the missus.
Just bought one of those multi-screen DVD players for the kids to watch. It's an embuggerance to remove the screens every time we park up to be honest so reckon tinting the back out is the way forward.

Any recommendations for window tint film? Where's the best place to buy it from or have it fitted?
you need to check with you insurance you may find there is no cover for your dvd.s if left on display as audio cover is normally a limited value its like leaving sat nav on display even the holder remove holder off screen and wipe the ring left on screen as well as thieves are getting crafty they are not bothered about smashing a window to see if you have put sat-nav in glove gox or not as most are not covered by insurance companys it's classed as inviteing crime had a good argument with my insurance ref camera equipment car is 745 estate car told camera must be locked in boot had to get 2 supervisers before it was sorted my opinon is if you don't drive a car how can you sell insurance on something you don't understand

octo0072000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 22:56   #29
Aardvark S60

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlee74
......Does the same apply to (wearing) sunglasses..??
A very, very good point, highlighting another mockery of this Government's policy of introducing petty laws to raise revenue from nicking us ordinary motorists whilst ignoring the classic causes of fatal major accidents eg. tail gaters, lane weavers, drunk/drugged drivers by relying on their Speed Scamera Cash Raising policy which only nicks the "legal" motorist, not the Twocer, drunk, uninsured driver, car thief or terrorist.
Aardvark S60 is offline   Reply With Quote