Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Trailer collection & electrics

Views : 1421

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 5th, 2012, 17:45   #11
Daleman
Master Member

Should I have had a 13 pin fitted by the dealer when he fitted the tow bar as a matter of course because it eludes me why they should have fitted the 7pin? Is the standard Volvo tow bar kit 7 or 13pin? Or more to the point what would it have been in June 2010?
Daleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 17:54   #12
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

depends what you asked, if you did not ask for the 13 pin to be fitted then they fit the 7 pin as standard.
mike
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 18:13   #13
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outnumbered View Post
depends what you asked, if you did not ask for the 13 pin to be fitted then they fit the 7 pin as standard.
mike

And have done for some CONSIDERABLE time

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 19:24   #14
kenny37

you mention the dimensions of the trailer and the fact its unbraked . if this is correct then i cant see you being able to put anything in it as you would probably be over the weight limit. also as its a new trailer i think theres new regs that if the trailer is plateds for more than yor vehicle can tow then you cant use it but no doubt somebody in the know will verify the correct answer.
kenny37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 20:38   #15
UKTech

I'm not trying to be a pain here but, I'd also want to check what tow socket is on the trailer, is it the same as your tow ball I wonder? Does the trailer have a spare wheel in case of a puncture?
Sounds like you've bought this trailer without knowing all the full details, so that you could checkout on everything beforehand, there are lots of regs. on trailers and towable things now, and the law, and the insurance companies are quite hot on you getting things right.

I hope all is well, but please be aware that you've got to have it right before you hook up for that long drive home.

Sorry to be a bit of a scare monger but I've heard it all happen before.

Best of luck with it, I'm sure everything will work out fine.
UKTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 20:55   #16
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

as long as its 50mm ball for a normal trailer it will not be an issue. the problem arrises when you have a winteroff or a alko hitch you then need the swan neck tow ball.
mike
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 21:30   #17
Premier Member

There seems to be a bit of scare-mongering here; Daleman has stated that the trailer is brand new and is about 6' x 4' and is rated at 750kg. These figures are perfectly reasonable and legal for a trailer towed by an XC60.
750 kg is the maximum weight allowable for an unbraked trailer in this country, and it does not exceed the 50% trailer/car weight required when towing unbraked trailers. Being brand new and built by someone who obviously knows how to make trailers, there is not going to be a problem either with the coupling or the lights - if there is the manufacturer will sort it out.
As for the towbar, he has a Volvo removable bar which will be perfectly ok with any type of 50mm coupling whether it is stabilised or not.
I have had dealer fitted towbars to the last 5 volvos and they have always fitted a 13 pin socket without asking, but they do know I have a caravan. The accessories list does still have the 7 pin socket listed, so possibly the dealer did not realise that a 13 pin socket was required.
60041 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 60041 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 21:51   #18
Daleman
Master Member

If the XC60 can tow a caravan with a maximum technically permissible weight of 1600 KG my little trailer that weighs maybe 200 KG max for the body will still allow 500 KG (half a ton) of load and be under the 750KG technically permissible maximum weight of the indespension units rating. That’s ample for me to take stuff to the tip and pick up a few DIY materials which are all I want it for. It has a standard Bradley 2600 tow hitch 50mm ball which should be fine. It was the wiring I was concerned about insofar as I am sure I asked for a caravan socket when we ordered the car and I wondered if it would be suitable for a standard trailer. I can see I have been invoiced for a 7pin so it’s ok for the trailer and will probably do for a caravan although not perfect.
My son has a couple of trailers for his business and his unbraked 8X4 indespension made trailer (with 4ft high additional mesh to the steel sides) is miles bigger than my proposed trailer with the same 750kg units so I am pretty sure I will be ok for load capacity accounting for my intended usage. He also has a large 2600kg twin axle trailer but he reckons it makes his pickup gobble diesel compared to the lighter unit.

Last edited by Daleman; Apr 5th, 2012 at 21:54. Reason: indespension no n
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 22:02   #19
UKTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60041 View Post
There seems to be a bit of scare-mongering here; Daleman has stated that the trailer is brand new and is about 6' x 4' and is rated at 750kg. These figures are perfectly reasonable and legal for a trailer towed by an XC60.
750 kg is the maximum weight allowable for an unbraked trailer in this country, and it does not exceed the 50% trailer/car weight required when towing unbraked trailers. Being brand new and built by someone who obviously knows how to make trailers, there is not going to be a problem either with the coupling or the lights - if there is the manufacturer will sort it out.
As for the towbar, he has a Volvo removable bar which will be perfectly ok with any type of 50mm coupling whether it is stabilised or not.
I have had dealer fitted towbars to the last 5 volvos and they have always fitted a 13 pin socket without asking, but they do know I have a caravan. The accessories list does still have the 7 pin socket listed, so possibly the dealer did not realise that a 13 pin socket was required.
That's all fine by me, as I said, I'm not trying to be a scare monger nor would I want to but, I also wouldn't want to set off on a 300 mile round trip journey without knowing what was at the other end, but, I guess you're right, you're not about the electrics socket but, you might be about the rest. I hope they get to the other end, on your advice, and find everything fine, tow ball, electrics, spare tyre etc.
I used to build trailers many years ago so I also have a fair idea of what's needed, I was also brought up as the son of a caravan camp owner and worked there for many years, so have a fairly good knowledge there as well, all a bit of a while ago but lots of it is still there.
Best of luck to them and I hope you're right. I'll leave it at that and say no more.
UKTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 22:18   #20
Daleman
Master Member

Steady up -i only asked this question

I have an XC60 fitted with a Volvo concealed tow bar from new .I have attached the tow ball and intend driving a hundred and fifty miles to collect a trailer I have bought. The trailer has a standard lighting board and spigot socket .Should it work OK with the Volvo tow bar electrical connection no problem?

I know whats at the other end ,its this end with my 7pin or 13 pin options i was unsure about .
The Following User Says Thank You to Daleman For This Useful Post: