Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Geartronic sticking

Views : 512

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 4th, 2013, 20:34   #1
zaker

Default Geartronic sticking

Hi all...not sure if this is a comon problem with XC90s with over 100k on the clock but iv noticed recently that when cold and in manual mode it doesnt allways change down automatically from 3rd to 2nd to 1st, i can be at a standstill and its still in 3rd ! it only happens ocasionally and only when cold for the 1st 2 or 3 miles or so.

Thanks for any advice Z
zaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2013, 20:48   #2
SonyVaio
VOC Member

There is a couple of things I would do:

1. With over 100k on the clock I would ask have you ever had the ATF fluid changed? Volvo say that it is life fluid but then contradict themself by then saying if used as a Taxi or for Towing then the ATF should be changed every 2 years!

Basically you will find EVERY other manufacturer that uses the same box has a service interval for the fluid but not Volvo. The fluid does need a change and if your vehicle has not had one then that is almost certainly a place to start.

2. Does your car ever get a Full service at Volvo? Not just a basic service but a full one? IF so then Volvo willupdate all modules as part of the Full service but if only an eco service then it will not get the updates (well not for free/part of the service).

I would drop into either an indy garage who can do Volvo software updates (very rare) or a Volvo Dealer and see if there is a TCM update for your vehicle. This will adjust pressures and things which in effect wil tighten up the box and see it shift more smoothly.

3. The geartronics when cold will hold gears slightly longer to increase revs which gets the box up to working temp quicker. This is a normal trait, it should however drop into first okay when stopped.

I would think with an TCM update and an oil change you'll probably notice a difference in the box.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2013, 22:30   #3
zaker

Yes it had the fluid changed only a month ago and was serviced by an indy in November but im not sure about any software updates that were done, think ill make a phone call tomorow...

Thanks Z
zaker is offline   Reply With Quote