Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Disabling REAR DRL.

Views : 3308

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 24th, 2013, 19:56   #11
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by noney82 View Post
I'm all for lights on at all times, but the only think that does me in is bulbs blow a lot sooner than normal cars
Hmm, I can't confirm that... Bulbs which aren't turned off in short frequences live longer than those which only are on for a little while a time.

My bulbs in my car are, except for the Xenon bulbs, the number plate lights, one rear light and one side marker at the front all the same the car had 7 years ago as it left the factory belt. My lights are always on And I've passed the 100k miles...

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 20:00   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
I'm all for lights on at all times, but the only think that does me in is bulbs blow a lot sooner than normal cars
Are you using the proper volvo long life bulbs ? Halfords etc last a matter of months . you should get at least 18 months from the volvo H7 and many years from the 5w capless sidelight bulbs which have BLUE beads inside to support the filament . Blue = long life .
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 23:22   #13
coaster
longtime volvo owner

Mine is booked in at a local independant Volvo garage to disable the DRL's.
They've quoted me £40.[/QUOTE]

HI which indy garage quoted £40 ,so if i'm over n/yorks way may make booking ,made enquiries last week at local Doves Preston,£140 ,Doves Blackburn £69 .Dont u just love it when two branches of same comp have 2 prices basically not really interested unless its a £4/500 ripoff job.I have vide but without software snookered .I know all the + statements for drl but for me I always switch to side light but then lock the dam thing up with lights still on hacking me off.maybe its because one of my other pet hates for years is numpties that insist on driving around with fogs on .Ive also having owned volvo since 1976 (164 mod) 200 700 800 series always been able to switch off side dim dip etc without the worlds cars hitting me , add to that if i don't switch to side lights on occasion I have the feeling other drivers are less forgiving as regards to giving way or letting overtakes heaven forbid ,but they don't see a volvo just a sign of someone who thinks if headlights on Im coming through !! or is it just ME.
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 09:19   #14
Jon TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster View Post

HI which indy garage quoted £40 ,so if i'm over n/yorks way may make booking ,made enquiries last week at local Doves Preston,£140 ,Doves Blackburn £69 .Dont u just love it when two branches of same comp have 2 prices basically not really interested unless its a £4/500 ripoff job.I have vide but without software snookered .I know all the + statements for drl but for me I always switch to side light but then lock the dam thing up with lights still on hacking me off.maybe its because one of my other pet hates for years is numpties that insist on driving around with fogs on .Ive also having owned volvo since 1976 (164 mod) 200 700 800 series always been able to switch off side dim dip etc without the worlds cars hitting me , add to that if i don't switch to side lights on occasion I have the feeling other drivers are less forgiving as regards to giving way or letting overtakes heaven forbid ,but they don't see a volvo just a sign of someone who thinks if headlights on Im coming through !! or is it just ME.
It's Volmech in Thornaby near Stockton-on-Tees.
The V50 is booked in for a MOT test next Tues, so I thought I'd ask about disabling the DRL's at the same time.
Very friendly guys.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jon TDI For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 18:24   #15
noney82
Master Member

I'm on 3rd set since July, bit I am only using my local auto spares. Iv not hear of blue beads what are they?
noney82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 16:27   #16
Jon TDI

Quote:
I'm on 3rd set since July, bit I am only using my local auto spares. Iv not hear of blue beads what are they?
I'm guessing it's a resin that helps support the filament making it stronger.
I've seen it on some Philips bulbs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (269.3 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Jon TDI; May 1st, 2013 at 16:29.
Jon TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 22:31   #17
NewVolvo
VOC Member

I am all for DRL - 100%. Safer as other drivers can see YOU!

Volvo's own bulbs are long life and I am sure one can get a lot more than 18 months out of them..... my 780 (from 1987) still had the originals in when I got it in 2009! I put another set of Volvo originals in!
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 23:06   #18
sensiblebutstupid
Power hooked

sorry to thread hijack but is disabling the DRLs possible on non genuine software like a Snap-On Solus Pro or Verius?
sensiblebutstupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 09:21   #19
Jon TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensiblebutstupid View Post
sorry to thread hijack but is disabling the DRLs possible on non genuine software like a Snap-On Solus Pro or Verius?
I doubt it. The software is actually bought & downloaded from Volvo HQ, so not sure whether it would be compatible with non genuine software/hardware.
Old May 15th, 2013, 17:43   #20
JamieG172

Decided that now my sidelights & numberplate lights are LED, it looks quite smart with the lights on even in the daytime, and for summer driving I've upgraded to MTEC H7s which colour match the sidelight LEDs perfectly (although I'll be swapping them back to Nightbreakers for the winter as output isn't great from the MTECs. But they look so goooood! haha.