Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60/V60 under boot spare wheel *OFFICIAL SOLUTION*

Views : 10009

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 27th, 2014, 19:06   #31
andymcp
Premier Member

So don't buy one. Simples.

Mine: 2014 V60 D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
Mrs McP: 2013 V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andymcp For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2014, 19:29   #32
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 675rrr View Post
Am I missing something??

I have a puncture I call the AA or the RAC if I cant connect the expanding foam stuff.

Whats the point of spending 500 quid on a spare wheel that you are going to use perhaps once in 10 years???

Id rather stand in a cold shower ripping up 50 pound notes.
Yes you are.

http://www.volvogenuineparts.co.uk/p...r-2011-to-2013

tem.
Old Feb 27th, 2014, 19:55   #33
675rrr

Why would I want that in my boot taking up space lol
Old Feb 27th, 2014, 19:58   #34
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Why would I want that in my boot taking up space lol
It seemingly goes in the boot well, after removing the tray.

tem.
Old Feb 27th, 2014, 20:10   #35
mike95

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
It seemingly goes in the boot well, after removing the tray.

tem.
Yes, it does.

Very neatly too so you don't need to use up boot space.

No-brainer for me.
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 17:35   #36
TrueBlue

Just treat 675rrr as a troll.
Any fule nows that you're more in control if the AA type person just has to swap the wheel over, rather than go to the nearest Quikfit outlet (if they're open) and sell you a new tyre....
TrueBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 18:09   #37
675rrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
Just treat 675rrr as a troll.
Any fule nows that you're more in control if the AA type person just has to swap the wheel over, rather than go to the nearest Quikfit outlet (if they're open) and sell you a new tyre....
A troll LMFAO

Did not understand a word of what youve written tbh

Im not a troll I just cant understand anyone wanting to buy a new wheel.

When was the last time you had a puncture?

ps tyres can be repaired

Last edited by 675rrr; Feb 28th, 2014 at 18:31.
675rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 19:37   #38
TrueBlue

Quote:
A troll LMFAO
Did not understand a word of what you've written tbh
  1. I'm not a troll I just cant understand anyone wanting to buy a new wheel.
  2. When was the last time you had a puncture?
  3. ps tyres can be repaired
1). Mebe at £500 a pop; I'd be inclined to agree with you. At about £100, then it may be affordable.
2). About 18 months ago late at night in a country lane near home. Hit a pothole; wrecked the tyre and bent the wheel. I had a skinny wheel, so managed to get home and wait some days for a spare alloy and tyre. I don't think AA / RAC would have been able to get me going that quickly.
3). Yes tyres can be repaired - but in much more limited circumstances that you might realise (until it happens...). The current trend for a pump and a gottle of goo is an exceedingly poor solution.
If the puncture is a nail in the tread and you use the goo, then the repairer will / is likely to scrap the tyre. With modern low profile tyres at around £140+ a pop, you are instantly financially ahead?
OTOH if you wait for the AA etc and a replacement is not immediately available, then you may get a tow home, but left with having to do the rest of the logistics yourself.
We live where the fields are green and all that can be heard is the Nightingales singing all night and cows f*rting all day. Magic, but we have to be self-reliant to some extent to compensate for the benefits (?).
In my case above the repair cost over £600 - and would have been more if I hadn't a bit of flexibility in negotiating the price down. The car now runs on 16" wheels which are more forgiving of potholes - which latter I find are on an alarming increase.

I'm no t having a go at you, but it's a matter of horses for courses - your experience is obviously different - hence your assertions, mine is otherwise; hence mine.
TrueBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrueBlue For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 19:40   #39
675rrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
1). Mebe at £500 a pop; I'd be inclined to agree with you. At about £100, then it may be affordable.
2). About 18 months ago late at night in a country lane near home. Hit a pothole; wrecked the tyre and bent the wheel. I had a skinny wheel, so managed to get home and wait some days for a spare alloy and tyre. I don't think AA / RAC would have been able to get me going that quickly.
3). Yes tyres can be repaired - but in much more limited circumstances that you might realise (until it happens...). The current trend for a pump and a gottle of goo is an exceedingly poor solution.
If the puncture is a nail in the tread and you use the goo, then the repairer will / is likely to scrap the tyre. With modern low profile tyres at around £140+ a pop, you are instantly financially ahead?
OTOH if you wait for the AA etc and a replacement is not immediately available, then you may get a tow home, but left with having to do the rest of the logistics yourself.
We live where the fields are green and all that can be heard is the Nightingales singing all night and cows f*rting all day. Magic, but we have to be self-reliant to some extent to compensate for the benefits (?).
In my case above the repair cost over £600 - and would have been more if I hadn't a bit of flexibility in negotiating the price down. The car now runs on 16" wheels which are more forgiving of potholes - which latter I find are on an alarming increase.

I'm no t having a go at you, but it's a matter of horses for courses - your experience is obviously different - hence your assertions, mine is otherwise; hence mine.
Well explained

I tend to agree on the potholes, until the councils get their arses in gear to repair them.
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 20:07   #40
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
A troll LMFAO

Did not understand a word of what youve written tbh

Im not a troll I just cant understand anyone wanting to buy a new wheel.

When was the last time you had a puncture?

ps tyres can be repaired
Agreed, a tyre can be repaired/replaced, but how long would it take?
Even with Volvo Assistance, it can take 1 - 3 hours before they arrive.

In my case, I have deadlines to meet and for the first time in 52 years of driving, I have not had a spare tyre, only a can of gunk and a compressor. (For the last 2.5 years)
I now feel that I have been pushing my luck.
Statistically, one gets a puncture around ever 100,000 miles.

With ferries to board at Tyneside, Hull, Ijmudin and Europoort, I now feel it would be prudent to carry a Tempa Spare, because, one of these days, I am going to miss a connection, because of a puncture.

If I remember, at the time of buying my V60, spare tyres were not an option.
But thanks to this forum, I now find that they are available and more importantly, they can be stored in the boot well.

My last puncture?
Was in France, about 12 years ago.
I clipped a bit of 15 mm copper pipe that went through the side wall of the front tyre, beyond repair.
Fortunately, I had a Space Saver tyre and with this I managed to make it to Luxembourg, where Volvo fitted a new tyre.
Made my connection, at Ijmudin, just on time.
If I had not, it would have cost me an over night stay and an extra supplement with DFDS.

I respect your views, regarding spare tyres and I hope you never clip a 15 mm piece of copper pipe.

tem.