Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Feedback re Kojack hydraulic bottle jack kit please.

Views : 1586

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 12th, 2014, 13:48   #1
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Feedback re Kojack hydraulic bottle jack kit please.

I'm considering buying a "Kojack" hydraulic bottle jack and brackets kit for jacking up my 1992 Bailey as when I jacked the van up to adjust the brakes using the scissor jack which I had used on my previous Sprite, which had a steel chassis, I found it rather difficult and would not relish having to try to do it at the roadside following a puncture. It is very easy to jack the van using my hydraulic trolley jack but I obviously will not be carrying that whilst touring. The Alko chassis does have the requisite pre drilled holes in the chassis behind the axle.
As the Kojack kit is rather expensive compared to buying an "off the shelf" hydraulic bottle jack from the likes of Machine Mart or similar I would welcome any feedback from anyone who has fitted and used a Kojack please?
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 15:03   #2
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Have used one in the past a very good piece of kit and also transferable if you change the van.the only downside is that in the event of a puncture the chassis will be to low so you will have to run on blocks to get it high enough for this to fit. or you could join Green flag and watch them change the wheel
mike
The Following User Says Thank You to outnumbered For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2014, 18:07   #3
GJB
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outnumbered View Post
Have used one in the past a very good piece of kit and also transferable if you change the van.the only downside is that in the event of a puncture the chassis will be to low so you will have to run on blocks to get it high enough for this to fit. or you could join Green flag and watch them change the wheel
mike
Could not agree more worth every penny , will even bring your car and caravan home if you have a problem. Was relayed a few years back all the way from Edinburgh to Norwich.
(save a fortune in fuel) with the caravan.
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GJB For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2014, 23:14   #4
Ian21401
Premier Member

There seems to be a 50/50 split on other forums between favourable and unfavourable. Some people have used a Kojack for quite a while without any problems and speak very highly of them whilst others have had them fail after just a couple of uses due to hydraulic fluid leaks. I do have cover with Mayday through the Caravan Club.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 10:28   #5
lyron
Premier Member

Talking

begger changing wheels on caravans. i'm with mike. ring green flag. gettin too old to be scrabling about under vans now.

ron.
elldis odessey 4 berth tin tent.
lyron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lyron For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2014, 08:43   #6
Marmitespreader
Master Member

I got one mainly for the purpose of levelling the van.
Good kit but takes up a it of the payload.
Old May 26th, 2014, 08:19   #7
278GTW

Not heard any bad things about Kojack kits, only thing to consider for the ALKO Chassis is, if you have a twin axle and a 4 x 4 mover fitted you cannot fit the chassis brackets, for either the Kojack or ALKO versions.

With single axle I'm guessing you can still fit a bracket on the non mover side, same can be said of a twin with one mover.

In this day and age where movers are ever more popular, especially for TA,s, it seems to me that ALKO have not thought it through.

As far as twin axles are concerned, Well done ALKO for that design flaw !
278GTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2014, 10:47   #8
forster

Default Kojack

I bought the brackets only from Kojack (Purple Line), and a 2 Tonne bottle jack from Screwfix (Part no. 54957) cost around £13.00. The round top of the jack fits snugly in to the bracket. The brackets are pre-drilled to correspond with holes in the Al-ko chassis- However my 'van has a BPW chassis, so bought the undrilled ones and drilled holes to suit.
forster is offline   Reply With Quote