Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advice needed ..... first tow in 5 years

Views : 855

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 3rd, 2014, 10:58   #1
Mxgeldar

Default Advice needed ..... first tow in 5 years

Hi

I have had my Bailey Senator Louisiana in Germany for 5 years and am about to bring it back this summer.

The tyres are currently being replaced as it it stored outside and they were falling apart. It is moved to and from a pitch a couple of times a year so isn't completely static (but almost as good as!)

I don't have the manual but will be looking for grease points on the axles and running gear

Is there anything else you would do to it before setting off on the 800 mile trip home ?

Thanks in advance
Mxgeldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2014, 12:17   #2
FullEnglish

Besides the obvious, lights, breakaway cable, bitch integruity etc, this is what I check when I tow an unknown trailer/caravan..

Look for bits that will fall off, trim, windows, anything that could be loose or insecure. Also anything loose on the underside and on the roof. Glue degrades over time and screws can become loose.

Make sure the wheels spin freely, and the brakes work. A sticky wheel can be caused by the brakes binding, but I've also seen it caused by a bearing where the grease had totally dried out and had become rock solid. This was on an old trailer that had been parked for 12 years, so probably not that common.

Make sure you have a spare wheel with a good tyre and a jack. Lifting a caravan (as opposed to stabilising it) with the jacking legs is a bad idea.

Depending on the design, it may have grease nipples in the brake wire sheath by the axle, and will almost certainly have grease nipples on the hitch. The axles *probably* won't have grease nipples.

Torque the wheel nuts, drive 20 miles (ish), then re-torque. At the same time, make sure the hubs are not heating up too much. A little warmth is to be expected, but one significantly hotter than the other indicates a problem that needs to be investigated.

I'm not a caravanner, so I don't know anything about the interior aspect of things. Probably stuff to check there too.

Last edited by FullEnglish; Jul 3rd, 2014 at 12:21. Reason: Addition.
FullEnglish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FullEnglish For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 3rd, 2014, 18:58   #3
FullEnglish

Bwahahahahahahahaha!

I meant, of course, HITCH integruity, not, erm, bitch integruity.

But I don't know, maybe you have a shagpile carpet and a disco ball in your caravan??
FullEnglish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FullEnglish For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 3rd, 2014, 23:12   #4
Mxgeldar

It's ok...i know the integrity of my bitch already!
Mxgeldar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mxgeldar For This Useful Post: