Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Thinking of buying V60 D6 Twin Engine

Views : 1533

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 16th, 2016, 13:19   #1
db1001

Default Thinking of buying V60 D6 Twin Engine

I am thinking of buying a V60 D6 Twin Engine. This car seems to have several benefits for me:

1 - Most days I will be able to use it without using very much diesel
2 - When I travel further afield I can do so without worrying
3 - The car is heavy and suitable for towing a caravan

My current choice of options would be:
1 - Power blue
2 - Driver support pack
3 - Piano black trim
4 - Black/Soft beige interior
5 - Winter illumination pack
6 - 18 inch Titania wheels
7 - Front & Rear park assist
8 - Rear parking camera
9 - Keyless drive

That makes for an expensive car, but I have seen heavy discounts on this car on several web sites which still appear to result in the car being supplied by a UK dealer.

What do people think of this car with these options? Are the options worth having? Are there any other options that people think are useful?

I would also be interested to know what anyone who already has one of these cars thinks of it - are they reliable? Any problems that I should be aware of?

I drove a D6 PHEV and loved it - am I right in assuming that the D6 Twin Engine is just the same thing with a different badge, or is anyone aware of any major differences?

Finally, has anyone used sites like autoebid and carwow to get a these discounts? Are there any dealers that anyone knows of that would give a decent discount anyway?

Thanks for reading this far - comments welcome.
db1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 14:40   #2
rallychris

I can't comment on the D6 model, but I can tell you that Carwow is a great way to work out what you should be paying (typically around 17% off list price on XC60 diesel models), just don't respond to a dealer's offer through Carwow as they have to pay £300 commission if you take a deal through the site. Instead visit your local dealer with the Carwow quotes and tell them to at least match the best price, and you may be able to get up to £300 less than the best online quote.

Chris
rallychris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rallychris For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 15:53   #3
Charlie70

Can't speak to the reliability as I'm only 3 months in but I'm not regretting my choice, also considering it's my first Volvo coming from an A4 quattro.

The Twin Engine is the rebrand of the PHEV. Difference is branding highlights; explained to me as 'hybrid is the new normal so less emphasis'. In effect, less 'hybrid' external trims and an extra 500 euros. Fortunately I bought just prior to the changeover so got the MY15 price for a MY16 spec.

i took most of the packs except the family and top level music. I also have the Titania wheels. Having recently changed to 17 inch winter wheels, the ride is understandably smoother with these than the 18" Titania, which also come with summer tyres by the way.

With VOC and the remote open via app, I didn't want the keyless drive for the paranoia/security aspect more than anything.

If you want to tow, get the bar factory fitted. I made the mistake once of considering it as a retrofit. I only mention it as it's not in your list of options.

Hope this helps.
Charlie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie70 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2016, 08:40   #4
Craigy

An option you may wish to consider if your planning on towing is the towbar 😊
Old Jan 17th, 2016, 23:20   #5
db1001

Got some interesting quotes on Carwow - a decent saving on offer. I have also spotted a demo car about 6 months old with the features I want (different colour though) which is significantly less money. It is not very nearby but may be worth a trip to have a look.
Old Mar 1st, 2016, 17:46   #6
johng007

I would say the complex hybrid system you might feel like you should worry about seems to work extremely reliably and well. Slight worry over starter battery going flat that is supposed to be fixed with a s/w upgrade and probably only an issue if you use the timed charging anyway.

Get a Volvo tow bar only as these have to be specially programed to the Hybrid.
I absolutely love the Adaptive Cruise Control and R-Design seats as well.

Love the car.

Hope this helps...
Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 14:41   #7
db1001

In the end, I bought a 6 month old demonstrator with the following spec:

1 - Flamenco red
2 - Driver support pack
3 - Black/Soft beige interior
4 - Winter illumination pack
5 - 18 inch Titania wheels
6 - Front & Rear park assist
7 - Rear parking camera
8 - Keyless drive
9 - Polestar upgrade

I have to say I would have preferred Power Blue but the savings on a demo car were worth more to me than the colour.

It came with a Polestar upgrade - I am not sure I would have spent the money on this myself as the car already has plenty of power without it.

So far it is going very well. According to the trip computer I averaged just under 100 MPG in the first month (plus electricity). However, for me, February was an unusual month - I had to make three long trips during the month. I would expect to do more local trips normally and, therefore, be able to make more use of the electric power.
The Following User Says Thank You to db1001 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 15:30   #8
mordred1973

Polestar doesn't just slightly increase power, it changes the behaviour of the gearbox, which was more important for my use (we tow 1750 kg's with a XC60 D5 and never use sport mode)