Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Clutch pedal sticking

Views : 5002

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 30th, 2017, 20:13   #1
markt1
Trader

Default Clutch pedal sticking

S40 20D 09 I don't drive it the wife does but on saturday I went for a spin noticed clutch pedal stuck a third of the way from the top, her in doors said it's been ok yea right that's women.
Anyway checked fluid level and it needed a fair amount half of a cup full, anyway today mavis came in and said the pedal had stuck and she had to flip it back up......
I have the feeling its the blasted cylinder in the box, cars done 75k been a good car and I am in no hurry to get rid.
I have checked round pedal and in side of engine bay round master no leaks, I guess its the engine tray off to see the leak on the bell housing such joys.
It has definitely lost fluid so it must be leaking some where and the mrs has probably had a sticky pedal 6 months you know what their like
I did my last clutch on a vectra same ffing thing on my drive but I don't fancy this on my back this time of the year going to get a ramp, well I guess check bell housing but I know it's in their without looking.
Full DMF and clutch kit around £450 LUK, I shall report back at a later date.
P.S at 75k if the DMF feels good is a big risk just putting a clutch kit in.
Regards Mark

Last edited by markt1; Jan 30th, 2017 at 20:28.
markt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2017, 20:44   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I bought my Mrs' car with a siezed engine and 110k on the clock. I stripped and rebuilt the engine, I bought a new clutch kit but when comparing the new clutch to the old one - the original was only 0.6mm worn compared to the new (both LUK). So I sent the new one back and left the old one in.

Probably most unfortunate - but big mistake. After about a month the clutch just hit the floor with a rattling noise on overrun. Turn the engine off and the clutch popped up again. Did it twice so I just dropped the box and put a full clutch, flywheel and CSC in - £450 LUK job.

The clutch pressure plate has an auto-adjusting mechanism in it and sometimes these can slip/give trouble which causes the clutch pedal to drop. When you get it out there are some good vids on you tube on how to check the DMF for wear, but for the extra £200 or so I would do the lot.

It's not a horrendous job to do the clutch, I did it with the car on axle stands and used an engine crane to raise/lower the box.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2017, 15:36   #3
markt1
Trader

Well managed to get a ramp and get it up in the air today and sure enough a sad looking drip on the bell housing.
LUK full clutch and flywheel £460ish from euro and 4 hrs it was in, the cars done 72k not 75 and the dual mass had loads of play yet the clutch plate was in good condition and obviously the slave cyinder was shot.
The most annoying thing was the battery box and a bracket at the rear where exhaust is, other than that piece of cake no sweat.
markt1 is offline   Reply With Quote