Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ebay hub puller

Views : 5394

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 4th, 2017, 11:33   #1
Palmer 221

Default ebay hub puller

Hey all,

bought me on of these the other day.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2524318746...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Iv got one one there hydraulic things on my gear puller, I will admit I do prefer the feedback you get with a breaker bar, but this thing made removing the drum like opening a jar. So I would recommend.
however I do wish i came in a blow moulded box rather then the Avon flight case

Cant win them all.

Estate fans! any recommendations on sourcing replacement bearings??

I will email my Haribo supplier but knowledge is king

Cheers Palmer
Palmer 221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2017, 08:19   #2
davidw6092

That looks like a good piece of kit.Any good bearing supplies shop should be able to get hold of those bearings,just quote the number on both parts.
davidw6092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2017, 12:02   #3
grahamwatson

This is described as a 10 ton puller. Is this more than can be achieved with a non hydraulic puller?
grahamwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2017, 13:22   #4
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Palmer;

WOW! That is the most impressive Drum Puller I've seen to make the irresistible force necessary for some stubborn Drums on a Volvo! (No!, I am not the one offering it, but the price seems reasonable even, for what one is getting: The ability to persevere against even the most stubborn Brake Drum!)

When using it, be absolutely certain you put the Drum Nut back on loosely (castellations IN), to reinforce the halfshaft, lest that irresistible force turn the end of your Axle shaft into a metal Portobello! ...in looking at the listing, it states: "Hydraulic"...so I had to think about it for a moment...and here is what I came up with...it works by means of the (almost miraculous) principle of Hydraulic Force Multiplication:

...and to retract it, I would start by unscrewing the input piston...the unit might have a self-retracting provision...I've drawn in (orange) a retractor (compression) spring which might be in there...of course, on the other hand, it could also be a tension spring on the other side of output piston. If it doesn't self-retract, I'd try backing off the input piston, and pushing the output piston back in...worst case, squeezing it together in a press...

I advise you work carefully and methodically when wielding the "Power of Excalibur"!

Good Hunting!

See also: http://www.sw-em.com/Brake_Drum_Notes.htm

PS. Seeing as this is I expect one of the most (if not THE most) powerful Drum Puller in existence, I request your permission to include and republish your pictures of it on the SW-EM site.

PPS. As far as that case vs a blow moulded case (with a "live hinge", right up until it dies). I'd prefer it in a nice case...you wouldn't put Excalibur into Mc Donalds Styrofoam container would you?

Last edited by Ron Kwas; Mar 5th, 2017 at 13:29. Reason: Added color commentary...couldn't resist...!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2017, 15:04   #5
Palmer 221

wow,amazing response. I am impressed with your x-ray capabilities, and of course I am an advacate of sharing knowledge!!

The piston was smaller then the diamiter of the half shaft so i didn't put the castle nut back on. but sounds like good practice!

Thanks for the bearing advice, looks like brookhouse has the bearings so putting an order in later.

I don't know what bolt is used on the conventional puller but I think the clamping force off a tensile M12 bolt is around 7 tone?

I still don't like the case
Palmer 221 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Palmer 221 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2017, 16:36   #6
grahamwatson

Can anyone confirm the 7 tons? I still have a recalcitrant drum so an extra 3 tons (assuming the 10 ton is also accurate) is certainly something I would be interested in at this price.

And all those extra slots in the puller face would mean I could get some more heat closer to the stiction interface.
grahamwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to grahamwatson For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2017, 16:52   #7
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Graham;

It's the temp delta that's important here! I can't speak to the numbers, but on the coldest day (or augmented by extreme cooling by liquid Nitrogen from an industrial gasses supplier), I'd get the Hub toasty warm with a oxy-acetylene gastorch, then quickly install Palmer's PoMaIF (Puller of Magic and Irresistible Force) and DON"T FORGET that Drum Nut!!... and have at it...I'd bet a pint something will yield...hopefully the stretched joint of desire!

Good Hunting!

PS. I still like that case better!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2017, 17:21   #8
dingov70
Premier Member

Afternoon , you can buy the bearings & seal from any bearing supplier, such as :- http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/adv...keywords=14276

or Unicorn Trade Products Ltd, Bolton
85 LEVER STREET
BL3 2AB Bolton - Great Lever
Greater Manchester
England
Phone:01204 409877

Simply quote number from outer ring of bearing & outer face of seal Can be way cheaper than buying kits
Old Mar 5th, 2017, 19:19   #9
dcthompson

I just ordered what was claimed by the seller to be the last of the ebay pullers--but I suppose that every one ordered was the last one. I have no immediate use for it, but when I inevitably do require one, it would be nice to just go to the toolbox and pull it out. Much better than sweating and cursing for two days. I am having it delivered to my pal Phil Singher, Volvo Amazon expert and mechanic extraordinaire.
dcthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dcthompson For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 13:00   #10
Derek UK
VOC Member

eBay page says 2 available 64 sold so they are popular. Is there a makers name on them anywhere? That might make them easier to find elsewhere.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post: