Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo S40/V50 Alternator replacement walk through ?

Views : 20752

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 9th, 2013, 08:40   #1
helmutderhaas

Default Volvo S40/V50 Alternator replacement walk through ?

Hey,

Got the old 'Power System Service Urgent message' managed to drive home with it on the whole time (120km) turned everything off .. didn't lose power steering or anything.

Anyone know of a good guide on how replace the Alternator on Volvo v50 2.0 d d4204t 1997cc 100kw 04-2004 t/m 05-2007

Have Haynes manual, but tbh its not great.

I'm pretty sure its the Alternator, can hear a noise as the RPM Increases and it seems pretty hot !

Thanks!
helmutderhaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 12:09   #2
MrRich

Sounds like exactly the same symptoms as when mine went. I tried replacing mine myself but found without a Serpentine Belt tool (long thin spanner) that it was really quite hard to get the belt off. I was worried about destroying that bolt with my attempts and in the end had a garage complete the work for about £40. I remember there being a few threads on here with a bit of extra info if you have a search!

As for replacement models the key thing that might not be obvious is the amperage. The V50s come with either a 120A or a 150A alternator. Bigger is better but if your replacement is bigger than the one currently fitted to your car you'll need to have a software update for it to work properly.

Last edited by MrRich; May 9th, 2013 at 12:13.
MrRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 16:33   #3
138gat
138gat

Try This, I saved off the forum

I had a message 'Power System Service Urgent' with battery lamp symbol showing every so often on my 2004 S40 2.0 diesel. Whe engine was turned off and restarted the warning would go away. Regardless I measured voltage when engine was off and it measured 12.4V. With engine started it measured flat 14.2V. The regulator or diodes or winding at fault God only knows.

Exchange alternator unit 150AMP Lucas brand from Eurocarparts was £167 but you have to hand over your faulty one.

The car voltage with new unit is 14.45V and car feels lot crisper and faster - I don't need even press the accelarator and she flies. No warning sign on dashboard gulp yet!!

Volvo or other garages charging £800+ for this when you can do it for only your time (2hrs max).

Car feels lot faster now too!!!!

The warning was intermittant on the dashboard and I have noticed car felt underpowered recently. I have thus taken the plunge and replaced the alternator. If you want to do the replacement its very easy all you need is a Haynes manual and well in the capability of a home meachanic.

To replace alternator:

First disconnect the battery leads.
Raise driver side off ground and put on stand and chock wheels with handbrake up. I always use jack as secondary support to be on the safe side.
Next remove plastic lid off engine.
Next remove protective shield under car please be careful and make sure car is supported very well.
Next remove serpentine belt by using ring spanner on tensioner to release tension making note of how it is fitted.
Next remove metalwork around fuel filter casing.
Next unscrew fuel filter casing and pull up casing with hoses still attached. You can leave in position if you wish and work under it.
Next remove small black cap off alternator and unbolt red lead.
Next remove connector from alternation which has small leads.
Next unbolt alternator bolts (4 bolts) with 16mm ring spanner and 16mm socket. Careful not to chew off any heads. You will have to access lower bolt from underneath
Next loosen allen key bracket at bottom of alternator whilst supporting alternator.
Unbolt allen key spacer off old alternator before handing over for exchange.
Remove alternator and replace with new one in reverse process.

Do not overtighten any bolts specially on the alternator otherwise you will breakage and headache!!!! You have been warned..........easy tiger!!

I hope this article gives hope to the beginner as you do not need to be an expert!!

Cheers
138gat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 138gat For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 17:50   #4
v50bryn

hi great right up with regards to changing a alternator and i followed what you have said as ive just had to put a new alternator on my car 14.5volts all good but i had the car running 10mins and as i was making sure things where tight etc i found that the new alternator was very hot to touch and belt to me seems slightly too tight would the belt being tight cause it to get hot?
v50bryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2018, 19:19   #5
FrankRS

I know this is a really old thread but it came up when I searched so thought i would add a tip.

I had most trouble with the tensioner and ended up cutting the belt. No big deal but I also discovered a 15mm socket fits on the top of the tensioner and so you can use an extension bar to pivot it to get the new belt on.

The tentioners does have square drive holes on it but I wouldn't bother, it's made of cheese.

As said earlier it's a really easy job if you are some what competent with a spanner. Factory denso part from eurocarparts cost me around £150!
FrankRS is offline   Reply With Quote