Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 602639

Replies : 2692

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 1st, 2019, 21:08   #1951
wj12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
So who did it for you?
www.cardiffremaptuning.co.uk
wj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wj12 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 15:35   #1952
nozmeister

For anyone keeping stats my 2015/190ps XC60 needs a new EGR cooler after getting the orange check engine light.

Miles about 34K, always run on Shell vpower diesel, (nearly) always longer 10+ mile higher speed trips. Cost covered by Volvo.

Volvo XC60 SE LUX NAV D4 VEA GT MY16 - Osmium Grey, Family Pack, Winter Pack, Front Parking Sensors & Tempa Spare Wheel

Gone but not forgotten: 2006-2015 Volvo V50 2.0D SE MY06 - 46.7 MPG
nozmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nozmeister For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 19:47   #1953
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozmeister View Post
For anyone keeping stats my 2015/190ps XC60 needs a new EGR cooler after getting the orange check engine light.

Miles about 34K, always run on Shell vpower diesel, (nearly) always longer 10+ mile higher speed trips. Cost covered by Volvo.
Does an MY16 with 190PS use SCR fluid/DEF/AdBlue? If so, I was assuming that there would be much less EGR flow and so far less chance of an EGR problem.
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 20:08   #1954
nozmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Does an MY16 with 190PS use SCR fluid/DEF/AdBlue? If so, I was assuming that there would be much less EGR flow and so far less chance of an EGR problem.
I think you are probably right but mines the "old model" XC60, the newer model from 2017 onwards got Adblue a little while after launch.

Volvo XC60 SE LUX NAV D4 VEA GT MY16 - Osmium Grey, Family Pack, Winter Pack, Front Parking Sensors & Tempa Spare Wheel

Gone but not forgotten: 2006-2015 Volvo V50 2.0D SE MY06 - 46.7 MPG
nozmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 19:45   #1955
tails

Default engine light

will an engine warning light come on and stay on ?
or can it go back off on its own ??
tails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 20:30   #1956
jwm922

Default coolant low

Hi folks, long time stalker of the forum joined today, bought a 2014 v60 D4 two years ago imported from England full detailed Volvo service history currently 181000km, Coolant warning light started on late Nov, went into limp mode, garage ran diagnostic on it cleared the faults and it hasn't hit limp mode since, a new occurrence on Saturday oil service required, the car was serviced in October and the oil was changed accordingly, it now says its full to max, i have looked online and apparently a faulty dpf can cause oil levels to rise, does this make sense. My local Volvo dealer is charging me crazy monies for diagnostic checks and inform me they need several more tests to eliminate other possibilities, €125 per visit. My understanding of the problem(is the original factory fitted EGR cooler unit has sealing problems, allowing small amounts of engine coolant to mix with the exhaust gases in the EGR valve body. over time the build up of soot paste causes the valve to stick.) Taking from another forum. The car sounds fine and is driving perfectly well, no change in performance at all. Any information greatly appreciated.
jwm922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 23:26   #1957
1monkey600

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm922 View Post
Hi folks, long time stalker of the forum joined today, bought a 2014 v60 D4 two years ago imported from England full detailed Volvo service history currently 181000km, Coolant warning light started on late Nov, went into limp mode, garage ran diagnostic on it cleared the faults and it hasn't hit limp mode since, a new occurrence on Saturday oil service required, the car was serviced in October and the oil was changed accordingly, it now says its full to max, i have looked online and apparently a faulty dpf can cause oil levels to rise, does this make sense. My local Volvo dealer is charging me crazy monies for diagnostic checks and inform me they need several more tests to eliminate other possibilities, €125 per visit. My understanding of the problem(is the original factory fitted EGR cooler unit has sealing problems, allowing small amounts of engine coolant to mix with the exhaust gases in the EGR valve body. over time the build up of soot paste causes the valve to stick.) Taking from another forum. The car sounds fine and is driving perfectly well, no change in performance at all. Any information greatly appreciated.
I think you are mixing too different issues here.
The primary problem with the original EGR cooler on the VEA engine is that it is too efficient in it's job and causes condensation in the cooler. It is this condensation that tends to mix with the soot to produce the paste that blocks the valves. The remedy is to alter the pipework so that warmer water is circulated through the cooler.

I believe the main problems with failed dpf regen pumping diesel into the sump was with the 5-cylinder engine. I don't think there is a similar issue with the VEA engine although I am happy to be corrected if I am mistaken.

On cars with these 5-cyl engines the software was altered and service instructions altered by Volvo so that the dash was set to display an OK oil level in the sump when there was actually only 75% of original oil capacity in the sump.

When subsequent owners, or non-volvo garages have done their own service, without knowing about these previous software alterations in the car, they have added the amount of oil stated in their owners manual they end up with a warning light and have to take some oil back out of the sump to clear the warning.

Last edited by 1monkey600; Jan 7th, 2019 at 23:28.
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1monkey600 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 9th, 2019, 06:36   #1958
ChrisFromFrance

Default Oil consumption

Hi

It seems I'm the only one with a Volvo V60 D4 181 HP which burns oil (1 liter every 1000kms) .

According to experts measurements, the oil leak comes from:
Cylinder 1 + Intake valves leak is about 60%
Cylinders 2-3-4 + Intake valves leak between 17% and 25%.

Twin Turbos are OK.

Any similar case ?

The discussion with Volvo France is definitely impossible.
ChrisFromFrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2019, 12:29   #1959
tails

Default light

Quote:
Originally Posted by tails View Post
will an engine warning light come on and stay on ?
or can it go back off on its own ??
anyone ??
tails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2019, 12:46   #1960
Chrisv60

Quote:
Originally Posted by tails View Post
anyone ??
The EML can turn off on its own if the error has not reoccurred during so many restarts.

However, this is usually a short term thing as, unless it's a brief 'glitch', something is probably starting to fail.

The code will still be stored even when the lights gone off and can be read by a technician.