Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

electric oil monitoring

Views : 570

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 28th, 2019, 19:16   #1
100K+
Premier Member

Default electric oil monitoring

Last month I changed the engine oil & filter on my 2015MY V70 D5.
I believed I got all the old oil out - measured at 5.6 litres ( the electronic oil level indicator showed half full before draining)
I replaced 5.6 litres ( +/- 0.1 litre) I know I should have used a better measuring system. After refilling the electronic indicator showed full. The car has run for approx. 400 miles with no issues.
However I read a comment from "Clan" about the V70 being very intolerant to oil overfilling, ( limp mode, error messages etc) and the possible need to allow volume for diesel during regen, and still not having an overfill situation, has made me remove some oil.
I have removed approx. 1.25 pints.
However the indicator still reads full.
I did not reset the service indictor, but when the original oil change was done (400 miles ago) the service indicator was reset with VIDA/DICE.
Will the electronic indicator eventually show the correct level? or do I need to reset something?

I know there is a manual dipstick which members here advise I just need to pull with more gusto to remove, but frankly given how strongly I have already pulled on that toggle, I'm more likely to pull the whole engine out of the subframe, than cause the dipstick to come out.

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2019, 15:07   #2
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
Last month I changed the engine oil & filter on my 2015MY V70 D5.
I believed I got all the old oil out - measured at 5.6 litres ( the electronic oil level indicator showed half full before draining)
I replaced 5.6 litres ( +/- 0.1 litre) I know I should have used a better measuring system. After refilling the electronic indicator showed full. The car has run for approx. 400 miles with no issues.
However I read a comment from "Clan" about the V70 being very intolerant to oil overfilling, ( limp mode, error messages etc) and the possible need to allow volume for diesel during regen, and still not having an overfill situation, has made me remove some oil.
I have removed approx. 1.25 pints.
However the indicator still reads full.
I did not reset the service indictor, but when the original oil change was done (400 miles ago) the service indicator was reset with VIDA/DICE.
Will the electronic indicator eventually show the correct level? or do I need to reset something?

I know there is a manual dipstick which members here advise I just need to pull with more gusto to remove, but frankly given how strongly I have already pulled on that toggle, I'm more likely to pull the whole engine out of the subframe, than cause the dipstick to come out.

Cheers
Bob
It takes between 14 and 20 miles for the new level to register. Fat lot of good that is when oil starvation cooks the turbo and big ends. Why I fitted a police spec full sized dipstick to my D5.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 29th, 2019, 17:26   #3
100K+
Premier Member

Thanks for your reply Paul.
I stuck DICE on the car and it reports that the oil level is 38% (with 0 being MIN and 100 being MAX) so I think that quantity wise I'm OK.

However....

Vida says that after draining all the oil, I need to tell the car I have done so... then when I filled the oil tell the car that I have done so to the prescribed amount - which I decide, this them resets the electronic dipstick.

See Vehicle Comm/ECM/advanced/Adjusting calculated oil level-oil quantity

BUT....

What happens if people ONLY rely on the electronic dipstick...Is it telling them its full to the MAX or full to the reduced MAX that dealers say the cars should now only be filled to, because the dealer carried out a oil change in the past and reset the prescribed amount of oil required?? So now Min level is actually below Min.

And for why? Because Volvo can save a few pounds by not filling a conventional dipstick.

Penny pinching at its most ridiculous, why don't you make all your 5 cylinder engines with only 4 cylinders to save money? Oh you've already done that

Cheers

Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 29th, 2019, 18:09   #4
green van man
Premier Member

Bob, the reason I fitted the full sized dip stick was that the electronic guage read 100% but when I pulled the technicians dipstick it was barely over the min mark. As I was about to tow 450 miles to Scotland to say I was not impressed would be an understatement, half a litre of oil saw me right for the journey, however the electronice guage still read 100%. My conclusion was that the fancy dash guage was about as useful as a chocolate teapot, hence £63 and a half hours labour saw the full sized police dipstick fitted.

I have somewhere in this section posted the part numbers required to get the kit from Volvo.

Paul.
Old Mar 29th, 2019, 18:22   #5
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
..., hence £63 and a half hours labour saw the full sized police dipstick fitted.

Paul.
Is the dipstick correctly marked min/max?
I think I have read somewhere that peps have had to measure the oil into the sump and mark the new dipstick at that level. Not a hard job, just another faff.

Vida shows the part numbers too.

Cheers
Bob
Old Mar 29th, 2019, 18:59   #6
CJL
Master Member

I had mine serviced by the dealer recently. Was charged for 5.8l i think. After driving home the electronic dipstick was on half way.

I've fitted a proper dipstick and it was a fraction below the min mark. have now put in about 0.8l over the last few days and the electronic dipstick reads max and the proper dipstick reads about 2/3 up from min.
CJL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJL For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 29th, 2019, 19:42   #7
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
Is the dipstick correctly marked min/max?
I think I have read somewhere that peps have had to measure the oil into the sump and mark the new dipstick at that level. Not a hard job, just another faff.

Vida shows the part numbers too.

Cheers
Bob
It correlated to the technicians dipstick. When I started the job I marked the technicians dipstick with the oil reading, after fitting the full sized one I dipped the oil and compared it to the marked technicians dipstick. Both read the same amount of oil.

Paul.
Old Mar 30th, 2019, 09:08   #8
100K+
Premier Member

CJL's experience chimes more with what I have read about differences between electronic , technicians and "proper" dipsticks, than what your experience is Paul. Happy for you that it all matches up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL View Post
I had mine serviced by the dealer recently. Was charged for 5.8l i think.
I've fitted a proper dipstick and it was a fraction below the min mark.
How can this be right?? Volvo really need to be taken to task over this.

I suspect this is why people fit this mod and when fitted calibrate by marking the "new" dipstick when the correct volume of oil is filled.

BTW no one has answered/commented on the question re does the electronic dip show the level as a ratio of the sump capacity or of the programmed level set by the dealer, which I'd suspect be different- All cars I would expect seeing 1 service from a main dealer.

Perhaps this is why there are differences between the electronic and physical dips sticks??

Cheers
Bob
Old Mar 30th, 2019, 15:01   #9
FIBAMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
Bob, the reason I fitted the full sized dip stick was that the electronic guage read 100% but when I pulled the technicians dipstick it was barely over the min mark. As I was about to tow 450 miles to Scotland to say I was not impressed would be an understatement, half a litre of oil saw me right for the journey, however the electronice guage still read 100%. My conclusion was that the fancy dash guage was about as useful as a chocolate teapot, hence £63 and a half hours labour saw the full sized police dipstick fitted.

I have somewhere in this section posted the part numbers required to get the kit from Volvo.

Paul.
I used your part numbers and got the kit, but so far have not had an opportunity to fit.
I have tried the electronic measure numerous times even reading from handbook, but it will not read.
FIBAMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 07:28   #10
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIBAMAN View Post
I used your part numbers and got the kit, but so far have not had an opportunity to fit.
I have tried the electronic measure numerous times even reading from handbook, but it will not read.
If you can beg borrow or steal a M7 bottoming tap to clear the tapped hole in the block it will make the job easier.

Paul.