Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Slightly binding front calliper

Views : 328

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 26th, 2019, 15:42   #1
dan 244
Master Member

Default Slightly binding front calliper

So now the next problem!!

So one of my front callipers seems to not completely release the pads completely. It feels free, the slide pins are new, I have worked the piston in and out a few times with a bit of brake fluid around it. The pins are well lubricated. It comes on and grips ok, recently passed mot, but when you release the brake it doesn’t seem to retract quite as much as the other side. So when you spin the wheel by hand it only spins about 1 turn once you let go, where the same on the other side it is about 3 or 4 turns. Also comparing the temperature after a run that wheel always is slightly hotter, but not silly hot if that makes sense. It also squeakes slightly like a chirping canary.

So is there anything that affects the retraction of the callipers like in the servo or master cylinder or will I simply need to replace the calliper?
dan 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 15:51   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I would try the Flexi first then the caliper
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 16:08   #3
dan 244
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
I would try the Flexi first then the caliper
Ok thanks, done Flexi hoses both sides, that’s when I noticed the slight binding, while the car was in the air. Had complete brake fluid change too.
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 17:49   #4
lynns hubby
Master Member

If the flexi has been changed and the pins are well lubed with silicone grease or High temp grease then it can only be the piston sticking slightly. I say slightly because its obviously retracting when you release the pedal otherwise you would not be able to turn the wheel.
If I get one like this, I normally remove pads and calliper, then with a can of WD40 with the straw attached, get the straw just inside the piston boot, a small blunt screwdriver or similar will get the boot away from the piston without damage to allow you to get the straw in. A squirt of WD40 then remove the straw. Push the piston firmly home with a "G" clamp. Unwind the "G" clamp a few turns but leave in place, apply the brake pedal gently, you will have to do this a few times until the piston is stopped by the "G" clamp. Repeat this a few times, you will feel it gets easier until you get to a point where it gets no easier. That's the point you are after as it is now as free as its going to be. The WD 40 will dry out and leave protection where needed.
I have done this procedure countless times over the years and it has never failed for me.
Just last week I had the exact same symptom on the rear N/S of our XC70 and carried out this to good effect.

Last edited by lynns hubby; Aug 26th, 2019 at 17:51. Reason: Added info
lynns hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lynns hubby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 18:45   #5
Ian21401
Premier Member

As lynns hubby says. Same method but I used silicone spray when mine did it. It leaves a slight lubrication in place.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 21:12   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

If you try retracting the piston as described above to lube it, open the bleed nipple and attach a one-way bleed valve so the fluid doesn't go back up the hoses/pipes etc to the ABS modulator and/or the master cylinder - it can easily carry dirt with it that will compromise either of those.
May also be worth rebledding that leg of the system, if you have a small air bubble in there that will compress under braking and then expand when released, keeping the piston closer to the disc.

Also worth checking the clearance between the pedal and servo pushrod, there needs to be some clearance there for the servo to completely shut - also check the servo non-return valve and the air intake valve, either of those can cause unexpected brake action.

Something else that can cause the problem is if the pads have burrs on the edges where they sit in the calipers. A few minutes with a file taking them off and a wire brush cleaning the caliper where the pads slide with a smear of copper grease after can work wonders.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 27th, 2019, 00:00   #7
dan 244
Master Member

Ok thanks for all that guys. A few things to try tomorrow and good tip with the opening the bread nipple while compressing the piston. And then another bleed.

I did wire brush the seating points in the callipers and cleaned up the edges of the pads and applied copper slip when I last looked at them.

The clearance between servo rod and peddle is that inside the car in the pedal area?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dan 244 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 27th, 2019, 08:57   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan 244 View Post
The clearance between servo rod and peddle is that inside the car in the pedal area?
Yes, you should be able to feel it by pushing on the pedal by hand, as it starts moving down it should go with minimal pressure then as the clearance is taken up, go hard. Only needs to be a short distance of travel before the clearance is taken up but it needs to exist.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: