Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Safety recall for fire risk

Views : 86790

Replies : 469

Users Viewing This Thread : V60white

Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 23:52   #221
Ian W XC60

Mine went in today and the good news is it isn't recall related.
The bad news is like others on here it requires the head removing, new barrels, injectors, bla de bla, a major rebuild but Volvo has agreed to pay 100% of the repairs.
The worse news is the dealer has advised against driving it and has estimated, as I'm now the 3rd vehicle in line for this major engine rework, it will be 3-4 weeks before I can get it back.
Worser news still, they don't have any courtesy cars until 30 September so can't help us being car-less for all the time they have it in!!

We are due to go to a holiday cottage in Devon on Saturday but I think me carrying the dogs and our belongings on my back is probably a non-starter so it looks like our c£500 rent is up the swanee.

Spoke to Volvo UK CS who promised to pass the info on to an un-named dept who could help about 2.30pm, I asked for a call back today to see if I can salvage the holiday but I'm still waiting.
Have followed it up with an email to them tonight but a premium brand who expect customers to go without their cars for 4 weeks and not provide acceptable alternative transport sucks.

That's my personal tale of woe but I think it's becoming more and more obvious that Volvo, probably in a rush to meet new emission standards, have badly cocked up on the engineering of the D4 and are straight away offering 100% repairs to keep owners sweet and stop the motoring press finding out and exposing it.
Soon as mines done I'll be considering whether to move on to something else. It's a car I've really enjoyed and viewed as a keeper but I can't see Volvo funding another rebuild in 3 or 4 yrs time.

Final thought the D4 doesn't just affect the 60's on this board so if anyone has any clout with the forum mods, the engine might be worth a board of its own.
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 07:58   #222
SeaShell

Got mine back yesterday having had the same work done.

Interestingly I was driving mine for over a month after the inlet manifold was replaced and prior to the major work being done without any issues.

Many here on the forums believe all these issues are related leading to the recall due to excessive carbon build up.

Unfortunately info I have gleaned leads me to believe that the issues will return as this is a repair and not a 'fix'.
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 14:34   #223
DTaylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
there are a lot of pressure pulses in the exhaust manifold of course so the soot could be some distance up the pipe . the 3mm bore of the pipe would damp out the pulsations to get a steady reading ... let us know how the cleaning goes ...
The cleaning went very well, not. What a pain. Despite having access to industrial cleaners, compressed air line and various items to poke through the pipe, it took us 10 hours to get the damn thing clean. The blockage is at the manifold end and you can't get anything to go through it. From the sensor end it is too far round too many bends and from the banjo fitting end you don't have a free run to poke anything in as the other side of the fitting gets in the way.

Clan was correct, it isn't worth the hassle and if you take wages into account, the cost of chemicals etc, it isn't even economically viable.

I was contemplating a offering a trade out/swap service on here for members, but it really isn't something I would want to have a go at again. At least I have a spare one now.

Last edited by DTaylor; Sep 4th, 2019 at 16:36.
DTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DTaylor For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 14:46   #224
DTaylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian W XC60 View Post
The bad news is like others on here it requires the head removing, new barrels, injectors, bla de bla, a major rebuild but Volvo has agreed to pay 100% of the repairs.
This is what worries me now, I have a D4 and it is running fine, but IF I was to have this issue Volvo have already informed me my V60 is not under warranty because the car has not been serviced by them. They say garages may fit none-genuine parts so Volvo won't cover it. probably be a long drawn out case trying to get them to admit to an original manufacturing/design issue and accept liability. Would it be worth the hassle?

Surely though they will have to do something, as if the reputation of the reliability of these cars drops, then second hand dealers won't want to touch them leaving owners stuck when they come t sell them on.

Last edited by DTaylor; Sep 4th, 2019 at 16:35.
DTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 00:16   #225
Ian W XC60

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTaylor View Post
This is what worries me now, I have a D4 and it is running fine, but IF I was to have this issue Volvo have already informed me my V60 is not under warranty because the car has not been serviced by them. They say garages may fit none-genuine parts so Volvo won't cover it. probably be a long drawn out case trying to get them to admit to an original manufacturing/design issue and accept liability. Would it be worth the hassle?

Surely though they will have to do something, as if the reputation of the reliability of these cars drops, then second hand dealers won't want to touch them leaving owners stuck when they come t sell them on.
Yep, the service reception lady gave me the flannel about, "as you're a good customer, always been serviced by us" but Volvo aren't giving 100% because of that, they know it's a design/engineering flaw in the D4 that means in court a judge isn't likely to find that a 4yr old engine that needs a substantial rebuild through excess carbon deposits is "fit for purpose" so they're straight away taking away any financial pain so why would the owners go to court? Nothing legal is ever straightforward or cheap so you do have a dilemma but my "gut" is, they'd repair yours too to avoid any chance of being exposed.
As someone else said, they're repairing, not "fixing" the issue and I, for one, will be moving on when mines repaired cause I don't think there can be a fix as their newest engines have moved to adblue, as I understand things.
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 07:17   #226
SeaShell

Mine was not serviced at Volvo last January and mine was fixed with 100% contribution from Volvo.

Just for laughs I put my reg into Confused.com to see how much the car was worth.

Initially it said £7100 for a quick sale and asked if I would like offers.

Highest was £5300 and lowest £4000.

Ouch!!
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 10:15   #227
smudgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgers View Post
no I haven't had a second letter, has anyone else ?

so the fault codes are:

p00bd00
p00bc00
p226200
p047100
p250f68
Car went in this morning and apparently it’s not the fire issue but an air leak somewhere. My wife and I do love this car but thinks it’s going to have to go as it’s not stopped going wrong.
smudgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 10:28   #228
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgers View Post
Car went in this morning and apparently it’s not the fire issue but an air leak somewhere. My wife and I do love this car but thinks it’s going to have to go as it’s not stopped going wrong.
That last code relates to low oil level.

I didn't note the actual codes I received when my EGR valve stuck open, but some of those in your list do look familiar. When the EGR valve fails to close properly it results in a lower-than-expected reading from the mass airflow sensor, which can be confused with an air leak.

Mine's running well, but I keep having to add engine oil and only get low-50s MPG even on a long run.
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 14:46   #229
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTaylor View Post

servicing and mileage is NOT taken into consideration for the EGR cooler job , also it is not a warranty job , it is ongoing .. and thirdly it doesn't matter who services it in Warranty as long as the correct parts are used .
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 23:13   #230
Ian W XC60

Volvo CS have been absolutely useless but maybe me being a mithering PITA might have paid off as I got a call from the Service Manager saying they've had some cancellations, juggled some other bookings around and started on my car this afternoon. They hope to have it back to me on Monday or Tuesday at the latest.

Had a chat about the work being done and asked how much it would have cost retail. He said they hadn't worked it out as Volvo paid a set sum per car but it involved 17 hours labour with the numerous expensive parts being replaced, so probably somewhere between £4-5K per vehicle!

Tags
egr problems, v60 d4