Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 835882

Replies : 6335

Users Viewing This Thread : 360beast, Polestar, Steve 940

Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 17:02   #991
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Surely this can't be the going rate - £295 for a 244/245 instrument cluster:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304155159...YAAOSwtHJhSdkd

... !
The sellers screen name/ebay ID is Pluto, something a bit Mickey Mouse or Disney fantasy type prices there! Looking at his other items for sale, he's definitely away with the fairies!

You'd probably get a cheaper one from the USA after paying the extra S&H as well!

I like how he's listed it for a 240 and a 260 - it will work in one but not the other so what was it from? The 240 was a 4 cylinder, the 260 a 6 cylinder so the tacho will be wrong in the wrong car!

PS - just to finish the saga of the unobtainium metal above, i found a solid piece of an old SD1 bonnet, 1.2mm thick and big enough to make the patches i need - the second patch isn't necessary for the pass but may as well do it as he queried it.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 17:05   #992
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
PS - just to finish the saga of the unobtainium metal above, i found a solid piece of an old SD1 bonnet, 1.2mm thick and big enough to make the patches i need - the second patch isn't necessary for the pass but may as well do it as he queried it.
That is good news Dave - it just proves that one should hardly ever throw things away :-)
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 22:28   #993
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
That is good news Dave - it just proves that one should hardly ever throw things away :-)
You're not wrong Alan! Funny thing was it was right at the top of a pile of stuff buried in the corner of my little shed but easily reached. Luke has seen the inside of the little shed and if i said standing room only, that's being genrous and Luke would probably be laughing as standing room is a bit of an exaggeration!
It was almost as if it deliberately found its own way up to that point knowing i'd need it........................

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 14:32   #994
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Hi folks, new on here. Sold my last Volvo, aV70 in Feb because a smaller car is needed now I'm retired . 20k odd for a good used one to do 4000 miles a year is a an extravagant luxury now.
BUT, having had 121s, 240s, 740s, 940s and V70s there is a void. Been looking for a 240 saloon for awhile as a toy/hobby. It will have to be a very good one because I can no longer do any major stuff. That's why I ridded both my old Land Rovers.
This thread dealing with prices is very interesting. I've seen a 61k 87,
GL in Wimbledon for £7995 and also a very similar offering in Wellingborough for the same money.
These aren't selling so I guess they are way too dear! Correct?
Isn't this just what you are looking for:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194384085....c101110.m1982

... 1987 (so only 7 years to becoming an historic vehicle if that interests you), GLT, 126,000 miles, has been recommissioned (quite well according to the write up), a couple of small jobs to do (you will need something to do on a 30-odd year old motor car), well under 5 grand. It looks really nice... I can't see much not to like.

Alan
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 15:37   #995
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
It is my long held opinion that larger, expensive, cars tend to fall in to the care of people who don't maintain them, probably can't afford to maintain them.

And I would be cautious about buying a car that is exempt from MOT. I would not necessarily pay more, or as much, for such a car. An independent ... objective ... test inspection is a good thing. An enthusiast seller would not give me the same hope as independent testing. Better in my opinion to buy a car with regular MOT history, and continue independent testing. My generation remember when vehicle safety depended on the responsibility of owners, It is so easy for a good careful even a trained mechanic fitter engineer owner, to overlook a basic point to be checked.

My two farthings worth.

P.S. I predict historic vehicle status will be withdrawn or modified.

Because of the economy, covid, care provision, electric vehicles &c. Tax has to be found including from motorists.

And. There will be some tragic incidents due to inadequate maintenance. Which newspaper or broadcaster will campaign ..... ?

My groats worth.

Stephen

Buyers, MOT and prices

Straight talking comments by for example members in this thread, illustrate the importance to buyers of a searchable record of MOTs. The importance to buyers of independent objective testing. Let owners with exempt vehicles consider having their cars regularly tested in case they come to sell. Historic status might become increasingly a problem when selling, and a price reduction issue if there is no good MOT history. Folding money and walk away.

Safety and MOT

Posts in the forum illustrate the approach to maintenance and inspection by even some expert members. Independent objective inspection is a good thing.

The requirement for self certification of historic status cars underline the owners responsibility as to road worthiness. Not one iota less.

Prices and Historic Status

What view will buyers in future take of MOT exempt cars that have not been tested or otherwise independently inspected? What will their loved ones say about buying an old car on that basis? Will insurers begin to ask questions re this issue? I wonder if claims data has begun to raise concerns?

Tax

Tax of cars must be under review generally. Especially as electric car numbers increase with their favourable tax status. Price as to usage is one possibility. Number plate recognition already raises money for tolls and other charges.

These points must surely be food for thought.

Stephen

—Bertrand Russell

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Sep 23rd, 2021 at 15:44.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 16:05   #996
Moomoo
VOC Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Isn't this just what you are looking for:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194384085....c101110.m1982

... 1987 (so only 7 years to becoming an historic vehicle if that interests you), GLT, 126,000 miles, has been recommissioned (quite well according to the write up), a couple of small jobs to do (you will need something to do on a 30-odd year old motor car), well under 5 grand. It looks really nice... I can't see much not to like.

Alan
Yes and no bud! Those roof rails, no , don't like them and they are bolted through the headlining.
Nice enough motor, acceptable history and I don't mind the wrong wheels, I'm no rivet counter.

Good of you to draw my attention to it. Thanks for that!!!
Moomoo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 16:11   #997
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Yes and no bud! Those roof rails, no , don't like them and they are bolted through the headlining.
Nice enough motor, acceptable history and I don't mind the wrong wheels, I'm no rivet counter.

Good of you to draw my attention to it. Thanks for that!!!
I do see your point about the roof rails - they are very Skoda Superb estate (I know, I'm looking at mine on the drive, I wondered where I'd seen them previously).

Good fortune,

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Sep 23rd, 2021 at 16:13. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 16:53   #998
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
I do see your point about the roof rails - they are very Skoda Superb estate (I know, I'm looking at mine on the drive, I wondered where I'd seen them previously).

Good fortune,

Alan
Hoot,
Moomoo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 17:38   #999
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Hoot,
See: