Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 836633

Replies : 6336

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 24th, 2021, 14:49   #1011
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I suspect a much more prosaic reason Alan. The owner of the grey beastie was short on funds and a friend/acquaintance liked his leather interior so a deal was struck to give him some money and a velour interior from a lesser model in exchange for the leather one. Two happy drivers, two non-original Volvos.
Well, that is another possibility Dave. I'm trying to imagine two chaps meeting in a pub and agreeing to swap the entire interiors of their two very similar Volvo 240 estates (one a GL, the other a GLT) - perhaps they had a second beer then got the screwdrivers out in the pub car park... and the rest is history :-).

I notice that the motor car had 6 previous owners (prior to this one, so 7 total), so lots of things may have happened over the 34 years. The motor car would have had almost no value (well, hundreds of pounds, not thousands) from about the time it was perhaps 20 years old (so 2007ish) and probably reached its nadir when it failed that MoT in 2015 and was stored (maybe in a field) for the next 6 years. It is entirely possible that someone did sell the leather interior (perhaps for as much as the rest of the car was worth) - and equally plausible, as you have suggested, got the surplus GL interior back.

Who knows? Maybe the current owner knows the story, but if so he/she hasn't chosen to share that piece of history.

I doubt there is anything very nefarious, it is just an old car with a bit of unrecorded history, that is all.

:-)
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 15:09   #1012
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post

These points must surely be food for thought.

Time will tell.

And.

Some members might choose to think about it and be prepared.

Good fortune.

Stephen

—Bertrand Russell
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 15:11   #1013
Moomoo
VOC Member

I'm pleased the interior of this GLT has arisen, I'm sure it's not original. I don't have all the info to back it up but neither fabric nor colour seems right!!

Pennoth spent , happy now!
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 15:23   #1014
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
I'm pleased the interior of this GLT has arisen, I'm sure it's not original. I don't have all the info to back it up but neither fabric nor colour seems right!!

Pennoth spent , happy now!
I remember you saying there was something you didn't quite like about this motor car, and your instincts were dead right. Well done, and well done to Alf as well for spotting the anomaly about the interior.

Good fortune.

PS. I'm happy to concede I was a bit wrong about this car - it is hiding a few secrets that I didn't spot.

Last edited by Othen; Sep 24th, 2021 at 16:27.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 17:37   #1015
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I remember you saying there was something you didn't quite like about this motor car, and your instincts were dead right. Well done, and well done to Alf as well for spotting the anomaly about the interior.

Good fortune.

PS. I'm happy to concede I was a bit wrong about this car - it is hiding a few secrets that I didn't spot.
Love the PS, like wearing pink, it takes a Man.😏
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 20:21   #1016
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
This one looks like it may go for sensible money if you fancy some risk:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174943865...53.m1438.l2649

... it will only have 5 days worth of MoT test left at the end of the auction, but if it fails to make a grand (which I suspect it might) then that may be worth the risk.

It looks like the seller has neglected the maintenance a bit - presenting it for MoT every year without preparation, and then just fixing the minimum to get it through the re-test, so that might be a challenge (why would you not want a challenge if buying a 34 year old car). It looks like it may need a bit of welding at the back.

... it made just £880 at auction.
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 02:39   #1017
dan 244
Master Member

So here is my take on the awful glt! As said it has scorpious alloys from a torslanda, not Virgo from a glt
So interiors, plush upholstery was an option instead of the usually standard leather, I have only ever seen that in blue though, so beige is slightly strange. The car has a leather gearstick gater, so that is from a glt for definite. All others were black rubber. I don’t think the boot has grey trim, as far as I know any sort of grey interior in a 240 was only in my1984. I think it’s faded badly beige. In terms of if this glt had leather it would only have been black or beige, only two options, no grey leather in any 240.
The roof bars are an awful add on, and would have come from an early estate as around 88 on would be black, and glt didn’t have them anyway.
The side body trims are mixed black and chrome, so also changed as originals would have been black. Same with boot hinges and the little corner trims at the rear corners of the roof. So yes it’s been really messed with!
As someone else said, I wouldn’t be surprised if it got to the breaking state, some of the more sort after black trims and leather went, and a gl has been found to provide the missing bits to get it going again.
It now says provisionally sold, torslanda to come! Be interesting to see if that has virgo wheels lol!
dan 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dan 244 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 10:04   #1018
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan 244 View Post
So here is my take on the awful glt! As said it has scorpious alloys from a torslanda, not Virgo from a glt
So interiors, plush upholstery was an option instead of the usually standard leather, I have only ever seen that in blue though, so beige is slightly strange. The car has a leather gearstick gater, so that is from a glt for definite. All others were black rubber. I don’t think the boot has grey trim, as far as I know any sort of grey interior in a 240 was only in my1984. I think it’s faded badly beige. In terms of if this glt had leather it would only have been black or beige, only two options, no grey leather in any 240.
The roof bars are an awful add on, and would have come from an early estate as around 88 on would be black, and glt didn’t have them anyway.
The side body trims are mixed black and chrome, so also changed as originals would have been black. Same with boot hinges and the little corner trims at the rear corners of the roof. So yes it’s been really messed with!
As someone else said, I wouldn’t be surprised if it got to the breaking state, some of the more sort after black trims and leather went, and a gl has been found to provide the missing bits to get it going again.
It now says provisionally sold, torslanda to come! Be interesting to see if that has virgo wheels lol!
Excellent knowledge of the 1980s 240 range. This jigsaw has come back together.
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 10:40   #1019
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan 244 View Post
... do you think we might see a Torslander with Virgo wheels and a black leather interior?

Last edited by Othen; Sep 25th, 2021 at 10:44. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 16:22   #1020
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
I get a feeling this one isn't going to come with any proof of anything Loki. It looks (from the MoT history) that the owner has let the maintenance slip over the past 5 years, each time it fails the MoT and gets patched up for another year with the same advisory faults. This time it is being sold for whatever residual value it has with only 5 days MoT remaining, so I rather suspect the owner is expecting it to fail.

The 5 days worth of MoT should be enough for a buyer to get it home without a trailer. If the cam belt doesn't break on the way it would be a good idea to change it the next morn, then take it for a MoT test to find out what is wrong. There is probably a lot of rust at the back which the current owner gave a good coat of underseal when it first started appearing.

This motor car is probably near the top of the 'rough cars' part of the price guide, so at about £750 it would be worth the risk to someone. It won't qualify as an historic car until 2028, so that isn't much of a mitigating factor. It is just an old car that someone has almost squeezed dry, but for perhaps a few hundred pounds and a bit of home welding on patches (from B&Q) it could live on a bit longer :-)

If it were historic status with five days MOT or no MOT, would the seller's word or certicicate be any, proof of anything?

And if there were no MOT history for an historic status car what would there be for buyers to peruse?

Food for thought re historic status. Says me.

Stephen

—Bertrand Russell

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Sep 25th, 2021 at 16:31.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote