Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 840596

Replies : 6336

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 7th, 2021, 13:42   #1081
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
The chances are that whoever is interested in a motor car like that will be someone like us Dave - and will actually be looking for a few little jobs to do. The chances are it will need the odd bush, brake, tyre or gasket somewhere or other, but on the whole it looks very nice. If I didn't have the RB I'd probably be on my way to Edinburgh on the train to collect it. A 320 mile drive back from Dalkeith would certainly expose any problems!

You may be right about the rings or valve guide seals - as I said above, it might just improve with a bit of driving and maybe an oil change or two. The motor car will probably just need all the bits and pieces I did with the RB in the first year: ATF, steering fluid, belts, carburettor and ignition tune up, coolant... all the usual stuff that will have been a bit neglected.

Nice motor car for the money though.

I wonder whether Andrew would be interested? I think he was looking for a more sorted out car, but this one would take hardly anything (like you say, a couple of weekends) and it could be very nice.

Alan
I think if i was to buy it, i'd take a litre of ATF with me, obviously check the gearbox level and top up if necessary then put a couple of egg-cups in the tank when i filled up and whatever was left (up to 0.5L) in with the engine oil then enjoy the trip home.

I think it might be a car for Andrew (Moomoo?) as it seems to tick the boxes he's suggested he's looking for.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2021, 13:54   #1082
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I think if i was to buy it, i'd take a litre of ATF with me, obviously check the gearbox level and top up if necessary then put a couple of egg-cups in the tank when i filled up and whatever was left (up to 0.5L) in with the engine oil then enjoy the trip home.

I think it might be a car for Andrew (Moomoo?) as it seems to tick the boxes he's suggested he's looking for.
Too far away bud, thick end of 300 miles. Not too keen on the colour or the smoke issue.

Nice enough for its age though by the looks of it.

Something will turn up!!
Moomoo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2021, 16:14   #1083
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post

I was just imagining a trip up to Edinburgh on the train with a litre of ATF, another of 10W40, a gallon can of petrol, a set of spark plugs, points, condenser, distributor cap, rotor arm, aerosol tyre repair, wheel brace, plug spanner, small socket set, various screwdrivers, hammer, multi-meter, WD40, spare bulbs, spare fuses...

... :-)
Old Oct 7th, 2021, 16:26   #1084
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Too far away bud, thick end of 300 miles. Not too keen on the colour
... you are half way there already - and the beige might grow on you :-)
Old Oct 7th, 2021, 16:28   #1085
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
I was just imagining a trip up to Edinburgh on the train with a litre of ATF, another of 10W40, a gallon can of petrol, a set of spark plugs, points, condenser, distributor cap, rotor arm, aerosol tyre repair, wheel brace, plug spanner, small socket set, various screwdrivers, hammer, multi-meter, WD40, spare bulbs, spare fuses...

Folks would think you were an "urbane" terrorist!!!

I'll get my coat!
Old Oct 7th, 2021, 16:35   #1086
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
... you are half way there already - and the beige might grow on you :-)
Ashbourne is not half way and its BEIGE not ivy!!!!!

I've had two HAB cars, got nothing but stick for it! My favourite old D5 V70 was metallic gold but Oh no, it was HAB.
Old Oct 8th, 2021, 00:07   #1087
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

Quote:

Well, I do know a bloke who took a boat's lavatory pan to Norway as hand luggage.

----------------------------------
Great spec; great build quality.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wagon Sailor For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 8th, 2021, 00:29   #1088
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon Sailor View Post
Well, I do know a bloke who took a boat's lavatory pan to Norway as hand luggage.
I'm sure there's a joke in thre somewhere and equally sure it would be lavatorial humour too!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2021, 13:57   #1089
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
This estate might interest you Andrew:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234209416...53.m1438.l2649

... it does look like a genuine and well looked after motor car. I have no idea what this one might go for - personally I'd have thought it was worth about £5,000, but there is a similar one advertised for £10,000 at the moment (I doubt it will sell at that price though).

It is a dealer selling this car, the irritating part is that he/she probably gave someone a grand for it as a trade-in and is now expecting to make a killing.

£5100 , reserve not met. Thought it would be. We'll see.

More and more interesting!
Well, I don't know whether to be surprised or congratulate myself for calling this one just about right: there were no more offers on that red estate since bidding stalled at £5,101 (on 1 October). The motor car didn't reach its reserve, so we may see it again.

There was a lot of bidding activity early on, and the higher bidders had quite low eBay scores, so I wonder whether the dealer was up to a little bit of shill bidding that backfired by scaring everyone off with a week of the auction still to go.

Que sera, sara.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Oct 9th, 2021 at 14:13. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2021, 15:03   #1090
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Well, I don't know whether to be surprised or congratulate myself for calling this one just about right: there were no more offers on that red estate since bidding stalled at £5,101 (on 1 October). The motor car didn't reach its reserve, so we may see it again.

There was a lot of bidding activity early on, and the higher bidders had quite low eBay scores, so I wonder whether the dealer was up to a little bit of shill bidding that backfired by scaring everyone off with a week of the auction still to go.

Que sera, sara.

Alan
It'll be interesting to see, young man, what he does now.

As I've said, he's a top dollar merchant looking for the right mug!