Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help please- rough XC70 D5 idle with AC off?!

Views : 2393

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 28th, 2022, 20:39   #1
Decky62

Exclamation Help please- rough XC70 D5 idle with AC off?!

Hi, I need some help please! I’ve had a rough idle on my XC70 D5 2009 for a couple of years now and I can’t pin point the problem. The car runs fine with the air con on, as soon as the air cons turned off it starts shaking, rough idle and almost stalls. The revs also drop when coasting coming to a stop, pressing the clutch will stop it from stalling. It seems to idle rougher when warm/hot.

I do a full service every year
Replaced MAF
New battery
New glow plugs
New alternator
Cleaned throttle body
Replaced camshaft and crankshaft sensors
Checked all sensors and connections
Cleaned most of the earths
Showing no errors on diagnostics

Any help much appreciated, car is on 198k and is a manual.

Last edited by Decky62; Oct 28th, 2022 at 20:42.
Decky62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2022, 20:44   #2
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

I can't say what it is but the aircon when engaged brings the revs up 100 rpm or so which then masks the problem.

Has it only just started doing it or has it always done it, it's possible it's been owned by a fuel miser who had the idle turned down at some point in the past.

Sorry to say it but it's one of those can of worms problems without proper diagnostic readings to work with, one of the other chaps might have seen this before and be able to narrow it down for you.

At a guess I'd be looking at the fuel shut off system if it's trying to stall when coasting.

Last edited by SnineT; Oct 28th, 2022 at 20:46.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2022, 21:35   #3
Decky62

Thanks for your reply. The aircon seems to push the revs up 20-50rpm which it seems to like. But after a while the idle goes rough even with the aircon on.

I’ve owned the car for 6years, it’s only been rough for the last 2/3years but it’s getting far more frequent now.

Il look into the fuel shut off, cheers for that
Old Oct 28th, 2022, 23:31   #4
ca2n

I would try to find someone with VIDA to do a scan on your car for any fault codes. I'd also be particularly interested in the live fuel rail pressure readings.

Hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to ca2n For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 29th, 2022, 08:14   #5
Decky62

Thanks for that. Il have to try and find someone that’s got one. When I had it plugged in a couple of days ago there were two readings for the mass air flow in mg/s if I remember correctly. I can’t remember the terminology but the top reading in mg/s was fluctuating with the idle. When the air con was on it would settle down. This is why I tried a new MAF but it made no difference.

The car still has loads of power and no warning lights on the dash
Old Nov 10th, 2022, 06:21   #6
hi tower

Possible air leak somewhere after the maf?
hi tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2022, 06:04   #7
dingov70
Master Member

Hello there , start simply . With engine running shine a light on crank bottom pulley and watch to make sure it is running true . An increased loading can level the pulley up and the issue is less noticeable , but over time the "wobble " returns and the rough running returns . Increasing RPM can make the duff part run more accurately for a short time

Also try and look for cracks in the rubber sandwich indicating failure is on its way

Another question is , do you have a rumbling sound once it runs rough ? as a similar issue affects dual mass flywheel assemblies . I encounter these on almost a daily basis when performing MOT emission tests .
Old Nov 30th, 2022, 16:01   #8
brickman
Premier Member

Dual mass flywheel failing or as above, the harmonic balancer/bottom pulley is failing. The pulley failure isn't obvious without getting your face in there to see it and check for it falling apart, quite common at this age and can lunch your engine when it goes quite easily.
both items would be masked by increasing aux load, AC/alt/PAS pump putting load of the system.
Old Dec 21st, 2022, 17:12   #9
Decky62

Thanks for your replies. I’m still stuck on this one. DMF is fine, I’ve had a full timing kit on it and water pump. The rough idle is still there! It’s runs fine with the AC on, once it’s hot and the AC is turned off it still idles rough. The interior lights also flicker slightly when it idles rough. Any help appreciated
Old Dec 21st, 2022, 17:42   #10
Simmy
Premier Member

try a leak off test on the injectors also check that they are matching /check coding.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d5 rough idle skipping