Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Estate reversing lights not working - linked to towbar?

Views : 470

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 16th, 2023, 12:10   #1
Clark
850R+240GLT = Happiness

Talking Estate reversing lights not working - linked to towbar?

My reverse lights aren't working on the estate. It's not a bulb or fuse issue. My mechanic has said it's either an issue linked to having a tow-bar (which I never use) or a switch on the gearbox.

I'm considering having the towbar taken off as I'll never use it and it may fix the fault.

Is it easy to remove the towbar myself?

Any tips/advice?

Last edited by Clark; May 16th, 2023 at 12:14.
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2023, 12:39   #2
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

I have removed the towbar from an 850 before (I intended to put it on my V70 but never did). To remove mine for reuse I had to remove the rear bumper to get to the nuts inside the chassis rails. The problem I had was with the bolts holding the bumper into its brackets as the threaded part, which is at the tip of the long bolt, had corroded solid and is totally inaccessible without doing damage to either the bumper skin or brackets. There are different makes of towbar out there which may have different ways of fixing.

Some options that occur to me -
If you lift the boot floor you should be able to find where the towbar wiring has been joined in and check the power there and fix or undo it if the towbar electrics are the problem. If you do remove the actual towbar you will still need to sort the electrical connections so it seems to be sensible to start here.
I'd guess that the towbar electric socket has a switch in it to turn off the reversing light when you put a plug in it so you don't illuminate the trailer when you reverse, you could have a check for that. And check all of the wiring while you're there.
If you do want to remove the towbar, as I recall mine came off before removing the bumper but then the fixings inside the chassis rails would be rattling around loose, you could put the bolts back with a suitable washer to hold them in place.

Personally I'd be more suspicious of the gearbox switch.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2023, 13:39   #3
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post

Personally I'd be more suspicious of the gearbox switch.
Seconded - check the PNP switch, a quick one is to cycle through all the gears back and forth several times while keeping an eye on the reversing lights (mirror?) and see if you get any life out of them. Lots of movement on the gearlever is sometimes enough to clean up the contacts sufficiently for it to work, although it may not last long and need replacing. Worth a try - it's quick and free.
Old May 16th, 2023, 15:43   #4
volvo again
Master Member

I think towbar & electrics are now part of the MOT, so if fitted must work, not sure if it applies to cars of our age though. Maybe worth a check.